Windows 7 TEMP User Account problem.

I am currently logged in as my admin account named "DELL", running Windows 7
However the icons, wallpaper,layout etc has changed and it looks like that of a newly created account.I created a new "Test Account"User profile and logged in it and it looks the same as my current "DELL" User Profile,which originaly had lots of different icons and different wallpaper
When i go to C:\Users i see folders named DELL, Guest, Public, TEMP, Test Account(which i made just now)

To see which account i am actually on, i put some files on the desktop. Now to see the change being reflected, i checked each and every folder in C:\Users
I noticed the change was reflected in the TEMP folder.

Does this mean i am in TEMP profile right now? if so, why does it show that i am on my administrator account (DELL)
How can i revert my DELL user profile to its original state. The DELL folder has all my personalization intact, like desktop icons and document folder

Kindly help quick, need to solve this problem before evening
Thanks in advance

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
To see which account i am actually on, i put some files on the desktop. Now to see the change being reflected, i checked each and every folder in C:\Users
I noticed the change was reflected in the TEMP folder.

u can verify the current logged in user by just opening command-prompt.
(Type cmd in run box)

Does this mean i am in TEMP profile right now? if so, why does it show that i am on my administrator account (DELL)
How can i revert my DELL user profile to its original state. The DELL folder has all my personalization intact, like desktop icons and document folder

Kindly help quick, need to solve this problem before evening
Thanks in advance

if u don't want other accounts the delete them all except "DELL" user
& then try to login & check

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
In my command prmpt it says C:\Users\TEMP>
Although i am in DELL User Profile. Infact i havnt created any user profile called TEMP, it just came into existence out of nowhere.
How do i restore my personal files and changes from DELL ??

Btw,I just thought of a joke, Which computer is the best singer?
-
-
-
Ans---- A'DELL
hahahahhaha

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Shifting files from one User Profile to Another

I am using Windows 7.
This morning, my main User profile DELL got screwed up. Even when i login as DELL, the command prompt shows its TEMP user profile
(C:\Users\TEMP>) instead of (C:\Users\DELL)
All my personalization are changed to something that would look like after creating a new profile.
Since noone could solve my problem in my other Post, i decided to simply create a new User Profile n shift the stuffs from DELL to the new User Profile.
But the problem is i cant.
The solution for corrupted User Profiles given by Windows is-
Code:
You will have to move the files to the new profile in order to repair everything completely. You need to have at least three user accounts on your system in order to complete the final steps. The three accounts must include the new account that you have created. Follow the instructions below to make the changes:

Log in through the user that you have recently created or even the user that is corrupted and lands you in the temporary profile.
    Click on the Start Menu and then the folder where all your personal files and downloads are present. Go to the My Documents folder.
    Click on Tools from the top ribbon and Folder Options at the very bottom of the page. In case you cannot see the top ribbon, press ALT and it will be visible.
    Click on the View tab present inside the Folder Options box and click on Show hidden files, folders and Drives.
    Un check the Hide protected operating system files box and click Yes to confirm changes. Click OK to finalize.
    Locate the C:\Users\”username” folder. C here refers to the partition where your Windows 7 has been installed, and the “username” is the name of the profile that has corrupted.
    Select everything that exists in the folder apart from three files that are listed below:
        Ntuser.dat,
        Ntuser.dat.log,
        Ntuser.ini.
    Copy everything by either using the shortcut or going to Copy option through the Edit menu on the top ribbon.
    Now locate the folder for the new user that you have created in your computer on the partition where you have installed your Windows.
    Paste all the files in the new users’ folders by either using the shortcut or using the Paste option available through the Edit menu.
    Log off the current user and the log in through the new user.
The problem is, i cant PASTE.. Its says permission denied. And i cant even change the attributes of the User Profiles.. it has a Pad-Lock on the folder and even when i change the attribute (read-only) it goes back to the way it was before.
Plz help..

clmlbx

Technomancer
I have heard of this problem, once it happened after unexpected restart ..All user setting were deleted.. Did something like this happened to you..windows crash,restart recently.

Neeraj J

Broken In
Re: Shifting files from one User Profile to Another

mikael why you opened two threads for same problem? And regarding your issue, want to know some questions? Is there any other administrator profile you have created aprt from DELL one mentioned? Also, what is your current user membership? You can only change that padlock sign on your profile if user you have logged has admin privileges. You can use command in picture & check under "Local Group Memberships" what rights you have?

*i42.tinypic.com/i2kldh.jpg

Also perform steps mentioned in this KB article as well as "Microsoft Fix It" for this issue & confirm.

Mods: Request you please join this thread & this one as both are from same user and for same issue.

Top Bottom