WinAMP for Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'd advise people to stay away from it. Look at the last development date, October 2001. Lot has changed since then.
I understand that new linux users try to get the application they are familiar with in windows. I used to do that too when I was new because like most of you even I wasn't of the alternatives and how do they fare.
Most of the windows apps that we are familiar with don't have so good linux ports. Some examples - winamp, nero, real player. There are more. They have much better alternatives on linux.

praka123

left this forum longback
Linux is NOT Windows-a must read for windows to Linux movers:
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
Linux is NOT Windows-a must read for windows to Linux movers:
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
Why do you have to advertise it always.

By the way, i tried running Winamp in Mac (not linux) using cross over but it did not work. Does it works in Ubuntu using WINE?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Simple, Winamp playes everything on Windows, & comes with waveout option means it will work with any sound driver. I asked cos this could make transition to Linux easier.

praka123

left this forum longback
xmms,beep-media-player,bmpx,audacious all of these are winamp 2.x look a like,why do we want win32 cr@p in Linux too?lets keep win apps to windows itself.let Linux develop by its own new s/w rather than emulating win32 softwares.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well the only reason I wanted to try winamp on ubuntu cos nothing is worth while comparing to Winamp on Ubuntu, no media player comes close to it.

Plz keep your fanboyism to yourself calling Win32 applications crap, as far as I know, developing Win32 apps for Windows is damn easy.

praka123

left this forum longback
Linux audio players? Amarok,exaile,rhythmbox all play well.ALSA does the job well in Linux.

ur words shows ur partiality and We all know who is a fanboy here.I too watches ur rants and raves in Mac vs Vista threads.so keep it with u and mind ur way.not mine.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Oh! comon prakash. I just asked a simple thing whether we can use WInamp using WINE or not.

I have tried all those media players mentioned by you. None provide the same skining feature of Winamp or Library management feature or DAP support. Wonder how do u call them better then Winamp.

Since you don't know what I was trying to ask here, I guess I am asking to the wrong guy

praka123

left this forum longback
wine at this moment will not be supporting winamp 5.may be crossover office will be ur option :p
edit i searched for u ;)
*appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=5
^ wine will run winamp basic 5 in Linux

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Gx .. Don't whine if Windows apps don't run on any other OS anyhow. You like and use Windows, use that alone. What's your need to run Windows apps on every other OS and blame its emulators, etc rather than the program's cross compatibility.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, there is WINE which is made to run Windows Application in case there is no alternative on Linux, isn't it.

I just asked if I can. By the way, there is no point emulating Winamp 5 lite, cos it only plays mp3. If I needed to play mp3 I would have stayed with rythembox.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
winamp full can be played too. Please read the whole thing. And if you want wine to improve by leaps and bounds you can do either donate loads of money to them or ask windows to go open source. Or go and help in development process. Then there's a fourth way too, stop whining cos you are doing nothing to help the wine developers and you have no rights to whine about it.
I have given you four options that you can follow, take your pick.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I am using FC-6 with WINE and running WinAmp latest version. I did this because i did not find time to configure my Open-Source Sound System i.e. Linux Apps for sound and video.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Guys guys guys y do u keep biting each other's asses in public. Please keep it down. See windows is windows and linux is linux. We r not here to find out who has the most supporters but we r here to help some ppl who face issues or need help or an opinion. So keeping that in mind act like grownups :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom