Will this serve as a good Surge Protector?

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
Actually my current Zeb. UPS is not working properly with my FSP APN 700 PSU i.e it gives backup hardly for 15 seconds. So, I will buy a new Modified Sine wave UPS like APC 800VA or 1KVA later.
But what currently can I do now to stop such zero surges when I connect my PC directly to the mains?

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
I bought the V-GUARD Sesto DX 600 UPS yesterday. But even after using the UPS I have got the same error message thrice now.
Power Supply Surges detected during previous Power On.
Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit.
I am using the UPS with the belkin surge protector too.

So, could anyone tell me what exactly the problem is? Is it my PSU?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I bought the V-GUARD Sesto DX 600 UPS yesterday. But even after using the UPS I have got the same error message thrice now.
I am using the UPS with the belkin surge protector too.

So, could anyone tell me what exactly the problem is? Is it my PSU?

you should never use a surge protector and a ups together like a chain...
use the ups OR the surge protector...

So try to swap the psu from someone...it MIGHT be the psu...since it gives error message even without using ups/surge protector

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
With only the Surge Protector also it gives the same error message. I will try it w/o the Surge Protector with the UPS only.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Can you explain why?

Why can

3. A UPS uses extremely sensitive electrical components, which monitor incoming power and provide battery backup when necessary. Plugging a UPS into a surge protector will cause the UPS to receive pre-filtered power and will also cause MOV’s used in both a UPS and Surge protector to be in series, as discussed above this will cause the MOV’s to malfunction..

4. Plugging a surge protector into a UPS to get additional outlets on the downstream side of the UPS is not acceptable. This will overload the UPS and cause excess wear on the internal battery.

5. Extension cords are designed as ” temporary” power taps. They are not intended to be used on a daily basis and your local fire department will warn against this. We cannot suggest daily use and therefore we do not allow extension cords to be used in conjunction with UPS's or power strips.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^point no.3 above clearly states that Plugging a UPS into a surge protector will cause the UPS to receive pre-filtered power and will also cause MOV’s used in both a UPS and Surge protector to be in series, as discussed above this will cause the MOV’s to malfunction.

insaneYLN

In the zone
^^point no.3 above clearly states that Plugging a UPS into a surge protector will cause the UPS to receive pre-filtered power and will also cause MOV’s used in both a UPS and Surge protector to be in series, as discussed above this will cause the MOV’s to malfunction.

whitestar_999 and fellow members, I apologise for my stupid question. It is evident I superficially read the blog from Evolution Electronics.
:ashamed:

After a thorough read, it is thus clear that one should never plug a surge protector into a UPS and vice versa.
:thumbs:

Our residential town faces power cuts on a highly frequent basis, and I am concerned about my electronic devices such as a router and a couple of desktop external hard drives, switching off immediately as a consequence of interruptions with the electricity supply.
Is connecting the said devices directly to the UPS, the only possible remedy which would allow me to manually switch them off?
:chinscratch:

I await your expertise, as always.
:smile:

whitestar_999 and fellow members, I apologise for my stupid question. It is evident I superficially read the blog from Evolution Electronics.
:ashamed:

After a thorough read, it is thus clear that one should never plug a surge protector into a UPS and vice versa.
:thumbs:

Our residential town faces power cuts on a highly frequent basis, and I am concerned about my electronic devices such as a router and a couple of desktop external hard drives, switching off immediately as a consequence of interruptions with the electricity supply.
Is connecting the said devices directly to the UPS, the only possible remedy which would allow me to manually switch them off?

I await your expertise, as always.
:smile:

Its the safest and (probably) cheapest way. Also, if there are frequest power cuts, the UPS may not get enough time to charge back. Do keep the ups plugged in the wall-outlet overnight to ensure that it stays charged.

insaneYLN

In the zone
Presently, I have an iBall Nirantar UPS-621 which has 3 sockets on its rear end, of which, one is taken up by the power cable connected to the monitor, and the other by the power cable connected to the PSU on the system unit. Thus, it leaves only one socket free to accommodate a router and a couple of desktop external hard drives.

Considering the fact that a general 650VA UPS has a maximum of 3 sockets on its rear end, is it apt to get an extension board (non surge protector) with multiple sockets, and connect it to one of the sockets on the rear end of a UPS?
:unsure:

insaneYLN

In the zone
Presently, I have an iBall Nirantar UPS-621 which has 3 sockets on its rear end, of which, one is taken up by the power cable connected to the monitor, and the other by the power cable connected to the PSU on the system unit. Thus, it leaves only one socket free to accommodate a router and a couple of desktop external hard drives.

Considering the fact that a general 650VA UPS has a maximum of 3 sockets on its rear end, is it apt to get an extension board (non surge protector) with multiple sockets, and connect it to one of the sockets on the rear end of a UPS?

Friends, :bump:

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
What I know is you shouldnt connect Surge Protector and UPS together in any combination.
Moreover, UPS these days have inbuilt Surge Protector.

insaneYLN

In the zone
What I know is you shouldnt connect Surge Protector and UPS together in any combination.
Moreover, UPS these days have inbuilt Surge Protector.

I am looking to, and thus wondering if I can connect a simple extension board with multiple sockets, which is not a surge protector, to one of the sockets on the rear end of a UPS.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Just connecting an extension board is not going to overload the UPS. Connect only low power devices to the board to avoid overload.

Top Bottom