Will this laptop do for me?

zap

Broken In
Hi guys!
I'm planning to buy the Sony VAIO VPCEG 15.

It's got a Corei3 2.10 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000

I don't play many games. All I want to play is Battlefield 2 (plus all expansions), GTA San Andreas, NFS Most Wanted, Call of Duty 2 and Brothers in Arms series. I could play these for years! Will this laptop do, or is the Intel HD 3000 not up to the job?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
better get one that has a decent dedicated GPU. else go the AMD way for better gaming performance.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
I also think those games will run up to 1024X768 low to medium settings on that laptop exception BIA-Hells Highway because laptop GPU is not upgradable later so better off get one with dedicated GPU

OP
Z

zap

Broken In
This Lappy (Sony VAIO VPCEG15) will cost me 30k.

Does anyone know any laptop within this price which will be better?
I DO NOT want to compromise on the battery life though. I expect this one to run for about four hours with MS Word on.

OP
Z

zap

Broken In
Am I buying the right laptop?

Sony VAIO VPCEG15 will cost me 30k.
I'm mostly going to use it for long hours of typing in the library, reading web sites like Wikipedia extensively and playing some games every now and then. The gaming is not a priority though.

Does anyone know any laptop within this price which will be better? Preferably with graphics :)
I DO NOT want to compromise on the battery life though. I expect this one to run for about four hours with MS Word on. Not up the wrong tree I hope?

gameranand

Living to Play
Nope this lappy won't do for games you have mentioned get Dell XPS series if you can (one with dedicated GPU) or any with dedicated GPU.

OP
Z

zap

Broken In
@Anand - You mean these games won't even work?? Even on the lowest of settings??? I Love BF2. If that works, I'm fine.

Oh, and guys, this lappy's got HD3000
Some laptop specs just say Intel HD Graphics or Intel GMA HD.
Any difference?

Demon Lord

Journeyman
Re: Am I buying the right laptop?

looking at ur requirements,
u need a laptop with good battery life,build quality and keyboard.
Look at following models.
1)Sony Vaio VPCEG15
i3 2310M
2gb ram
320gb HDD
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Good build quality
Average keyboard
Good speakers
3hrs Battery life(as claimed by sony)
VGA Webcam,2.3kg
Rs.30k
2)Lenovo G570 15-066616
i3 2310M
3gb ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
640gb HDD
Good build quality good keyboard
2MP Webcam
5hrs battery life(as claimed by lenovo) 2.6kg
Rs.30k
Now make ur choice!
Go to a good shop,get both the lappies,compare side by side then pick the u like.
Best of luck!!
Look Here:
Laptops from Rs.25000 to Rs.35000 November 2011

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
zap said:
@Anand - You mean these games won't even work?? Even on the lowest of settings??? I Love BF2. If that works, I'm fine.
If it even runs would you like a slideshow game ???
zap said:
Oh, and guys, this lappy's got HD3000
Some laptop specs just say Intel HD Graphics or Intel GMA HD.
Any difference?
Difference

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better wait for Llano based laptops - it should get the job done at your budget.

Demon Lord

Journeyman
Lil offtopic-
!!How did my post come here?
Or is it d same thread?!
last nite when i posted,no one had replied and i was d only one to post!
Or was i dreaming?
(Confused!)May be i smoked lil too much!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Lil offtopic-
!!How did my post come here?
Or is it d same thread?!
last nite when i posted,no one had replied and i was d only one to post!
Or was i dreaming?
(Confused!)May be i smoked lil too much!

The user had created a duplicate thread(2 threads of same purpose) The other thread has been merged with this thread and has been moved to appropriate section :)

OP
Z

zap

Broken In
Thanks for so many replies guys!
I found another laptop, the Samsung RV409:
Do more for less - NP-RV409-S01IN - RV Series - Notebook | SAMSUNG

This laptop has got a 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 315M. A dealer is offering this at 30k. I heard it is not as good as ATI Mobility Radeon? But it will suffice for all games that require 512 MB GPU, right???
Laptops with ATI graphics are available at 35k. Is it worth it to shell out 5k more for ATI?

Dell Inspiron 14R comes with 1GB Graphics at 35k!

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thanks for so many replies guys!
I found another laptop, the Samsung RV409:
Do more for less - NP-RV409-S01IN - RV Series - Notebook | SAMSUNG

This laptop has got a 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 315M. A dealer is offering this at 30k. I heard it is not as good as ATI Mobility Radeon? But it will suffice for all games that require 512 MB GPU, right???
Laptops with ATI graphics are available at 35k. Is it worth it to shell out 5k more for ATI?

Dell Inspiron 14R comes with 1GB Graphics at 35k!

The 1 Gb card withthe dell is a 525M right?
If yes, then i'd suggest you to go for the dell. 525M is significantly more powerful than the 315M.

Regarding ATI, it depends on the exact chip at hand. Some chips are better than the others, not really depending on the brand. :smile:
Amongst the commonly available laptop graphics cards,

555M ~= HD6770 > HD6750 > 540M > 525M > HD6490 > 315M > Intel HD

For playing games, get the best you can afford. For the frame rates of the paricular games you play, check notebookcheck.com

OP
Z

zap

Broken In
There's a sony available at 35k:
Flipkart.com: Sony VAIO E Series VPCEA45FG: Computer

It's got a 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. But is it worth shelling out 5k more for it??? I want to buy a laptop under 30k. And if that Samsung does the job, I'm cool. I don't really need games to run at max settings. Low-med will also do

randomuser111

Technomancer
That Samsung you provided a link to has Nvidia GT315M which is the same or less powerful than the Intel HD3000 graphics. Avoid it.
What is your max budget ? And any particular reason behind preference for Sony Vaios ?

Niilesh

Padawan
you should see this

Lenovo IdeaPad Z575 Price in India & Specs

it has Llano and discrete graphics
which can be used together by using cross-fire:twisted:

OP
Z

zap

Broken In
I'll take it to 35k if it is REALLY worth the extra 5k. Else, I'd like to stick with my budget of 30k. I'm not looking for a laptop to play games! I'm a casual gamer - and my fav game is still Battlefield 2! If I can play that, I'm cool...
One of my greatest concerns is battery life. It should be 3-4 hours at the very least!

No, I'm not after VAIOS really, just that I found one while browsing. I'm not picky about brands, so long as they have decent quality.

Um, please reply quickly if you will. I wish to have the laptop with me by tomorrow

UPDATE: Um, what's Llano?

Top Bottom