Will this game run on this configuration?

CPU's OK to run GTA IV. GPU's the culprit, but it should be able to play GTA IV at ultra low settings :(. RAM's great! :D. I will surely be a little faster than slideshow even on low settings. Better upgrade to a better CPU- C2D E7300@2.5GHz=Rs. 5.3k I think!!& GPU- ATi Radeon HD4670 or NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT=Rs. 6k

If i go in for an upgrade i have to overhaul my whole system as i still use a legacy mobo [946 chipset] . If i do any minor upgrades it ll ofcourse be outdated quickly what with corei7 and pcie2 cards looming in the horizon [Not to forget SandyBridge based processors and PCIe3 mobos standing in the queue ]

Ok then looks like i ll have to wait for an upgrade before playing this game :(

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yo! Comp, My cousin's confused with which GPU to buy. Which's better XFX GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB or Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB Dual-slot cooler. It terms of performance. He's not worried about the price. But only he's worried that which is having better performance. Please tell me as I have to tell him which one to buy!!

9800GTX+ & HD4850are neck to neck in terms of performance.
Get sapphire HD 4850 dual slot cooler.
Why don't your cousin opting for HD4870 - It's better than 4850or 9800GTx+

Thankyou all for your great response.(sorry for the late post,was busy with a friend of mine who was facing a family problem).The mobo manual says that I have only one PCIE_16_1(PCI-ECLK,100Mhz) SLOT AND 3 PCI SLOTS (PCICLK,33Mhz).It also says that it could support dual channel memory (have 2 memory slots,out of which one already has 512mb ddr2 400mhz transcend ram).Please also do advise on the ram upgrade.
I rest the case upon you experts.Would Palit HD4850 be supported by my mobo or is it going to be bottlenecked by the cpu,ram or something else.(please do let me know if you need additional information).GOD bless​

Your mobo has one pci-e ( PCI express slot ).
So you can use any pci-e card available out there.

Are you sure it's DDR2 ? What is the maximum amount of ram your mobo supports. If it supports 2GB then get 2x 1GB module. Or else get atleast a single GB ram module.

You can go for palit hd4850. Upgrade your Ram.

If i go in for an upgrade i have to overhaul my whole system as i still use a legacy mobo [946 chipset] . If i do any minor upgrades it ll ofcourse be outdated quickly what with corei7 and pcie2 cards looming in the horizon [Not to forget SandyBridge based processors and PCIe3 mobos standing in the queue ]

Ok then looks like i ll have to wait for an upgrade before playing this game :(

Thanks

Better hardware are always coming out. What you bought today will be faded out sometime.

PCI-E 2 is now de-facto but that doesn't offers great perf over pci-e 1 or 1.1.
Regarding PCi-e 3 they will not come out anytime sonn ( not for atleast 1 year ). Will you wait for 1-2 year to play GTA4. Modern Days HW are enough to run games like GTA4.

Upgrade your GPU to HD4850 like card & you will be enjoy to play the latest & upcoming games.

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Will GTA IV run on P4 3GHz,2GB,7600GT machine?..This one is my bro's machine which i currently borrow from him as mine went kaput

Better hardware are always coming out. What you bought today will be faded out sometime.
Yeah Def

PCI-E 2 is now de-facto but that doesn't offers great perf over pci-e 1 or 1.1.
How can u say that !
PCI-e 2 has double that bandwidth [rate od data transfer]
PCi-e 3 will have double that off pci-e2

Regarding PCi-e 3 they will not come out anytime sonn ( not for atleast 1 year ). Will you wait for 1-2 year to play GTA4. Modern Days HW are enough to run games like GTA4.
Oh i can wait ! ..... In a year i ll be working so finally i can realize my dream of building the ultimate gaming rig [take it with a pinch of salt] :D

Upgrade your GPU to HD4850 like card & you will be enjoy to play the latest & upcoming games.
Would nt my current processor bottle neck the performance ?

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
rajkumar_pb said:
Will GTA IV run on P4 3GHz,2GB,7600GT machine?..This one is my bro's machine which i currently borrow from him as mine went kaput
At lowest, yes. Bottlenecks are both CPU and GPU; especially for a game like GTA IV.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
GTA IV :-

Minimum Requirement :-

2.0Ghz C2D or equivalent AMD
1GB RAM (1.5GB for Vista)
256MB 7900GT or equivalent ATi
13GB HDD

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah Def

How can u say that !
PCI-e 2 has double that bandwidth [rate od data transfer]
PCi-e 3 will have double that off pci-e2

Oh i can wait ! ..... In a year i ll be working so finally i can realize my dream of building the ultimate gaming rig [take it with a pinch of salt] :D

Would nt my current processor bottle neck the performance ?

Theoretically PCI-E 2 offers double the bandwidth of PCI-E 1 or 1.1
But in reality ( Gaming & Benchmarks ) it offers 5-10% more performance improvement.

devaj

Right off the assembly line
Your mobo has one pci-e ( PCI express slot ).
So you can use any pci-e card available out there.

Are you sure it's DDR2 ? What is the maximum amount of ram your mobo supports. If it supports 2GB then get 2x 1GB module. Or else get atleast a single GB ram module.

You can go for palit hd4850. Upgrade your Ram.
SORRY MY BAD,have 2 ddr1 memory slot.Out of the 2 one is occupied by a 512 mb 400mhz ddr1,The max. that the motherboard can take is 2gb of ram (it is mentioned on the mobo manual).Please advise,should i scrap the 512mb ram and add 2x1gb ram or should i just add only 1gb ram to the existing 512mb making the total 1.5gb(no dual channeling support-also please do clarify does dual channel makes the memory more faster).Thanks a lot for your time and support.GOD bless.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you will not upgrade to a new rig in upcoming 2 years then buy 2x 1GB ram.

Dual channel improves performance by 10-40% ( varies from app to app )

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
GTA IV :-

Minimum Requirement :-

2.0Ghz C2D or equivalent AMD
1GB RAM (1.5GB for Vista)
256MB 7900GT or equivalent ATi
13GB HDD

WTF!!!
So if i repair my machine only i can able to play it in med settings... Thats awkward.. Anyway i try to repaur my system ASAP and then lay my hands on GTA IV.. Anyway KPower, Hows the game? And abt the gameplay.. (Sorry if the qn seems OFFTOPIC:D)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can not say about PCI-E 3
But PCI-E 2 doesn't offer great perfromance ( or double performance ) over PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1

Though every new standard comes with some new features rather than performance so it's really not a marketing gimmick ( take it with a pinch of salt )

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Yo! TopGear, How's your view of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway??? I thought of buying that game :D. Will that game work on this config.:
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz@3.2GHz, 2GB RAM 533MHz, Intel DG101GGC, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB.

Theoretically PCI-E 2 offers double the bandwidth of PCI-E 1 or 1.1
But in reality ( Gaming & Benchmarks ) it offers 5-10% more performance improvement.

ok after doing some research i finally understood .....

-->"Theoretically PCI-E 2 offers double the bandwidth of PCI-E 1 or 1.1"

Thats also true Practically

-->"But in reality ( Gaming & Benchmarks ) it offers 5-10% more performance improvement."

Upto the 8 series i can confidently say that there is no difference in the performance in games btw pcie and pcie2.
This is because the current cards do not need that much bandwidth ....

~Its a classic case of Over production and Under consumption~

So the extra bandwidth that pcie2 offers goes underutilized , hence there is no performance difference .

But future cards are likely to change that albeit slowly

PCie3 is a more efficient and may result in cheaper mobos due to faster bus speeds
But Efficiency of pcie2 and 3 slots will totally depend on video card manufacturers , only if they make cards that utilize the extra bandwidth can it give an actual performance boost in game .

Top Bottom