Will Nokia suvive the downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
There is reportedly a Pureview Lumia in the works.

There's a reason its thick. Its got a massive sensor (even by point and shoot camera standards). One cannot simply hide the depth such sensors demand. And then there's the lens assembly. And i find its looks quite sophisticated. Problem for the pockets? yeah, but definitely worlds away from bad. Just my opinion though.

And tbh, the 808 is hardly a flagship. Its what one would call a 'statement' phone. It is just a one off showpiece. Never really meant to sell in big volume.

To say Nokia hardly has great apps shows your lack of knowledge. Ever heard of Nokia maps? or Nokia drive?

What fabrication process!??

And most of the rest of the hardware is assembled by Foxconn in china.

Apple designs their products and does not exactly manufacture it.

Apple sells because most of the people around the world are not the types to flash custom ROMs every weekend, for every dinner and every lunch. They just want something that works most of the time, minimum hassles.

Every OS has its fair share of niggles, its fair share of goodies. To argue that one is%

red dragon

Master troll
Iam SGR user and my cousin has lumia 800..At first seriuosly i felt like windows was amazing with cool interface but after using for some time jus 2hours browsing apps ,i felt like i better go to my android..no interesting apps for anythin..it is just the phone with the default apps you have to be with..windows is not updating the trending apps ,it is always the same.
there was not even a barcode scanner for windows,the one which i got was not working too...it is taking too long time to detect tat to i have to hold it very steady which is not possible..
Unless they find time to develop good quality apps and update the market with recent apps, windows platform wont be a hit in the market for sure....
If you think a barcode scanner is the benchmark for a good mobile o.s,I have nothing much to say.
What is a trending app?Talking dogs/cats?

Manufacturing of the device, he means.

Although the A5 and A5X SoC are fabricated by Samsung. A6 will be fabricated by TSMC.

An end user has got nothing to do with fabrication process. All they would care about is beautiful design and features in their handset that can only be revealed by marketing.

Again don't mix sales with profit margin. Whenever a new iPhone is released it sales always breaks its previous records. iPhone 4 despite having this defect of "DEATH GRIP" had a record breaking sales and still people like it. iPhone 4s broke the record of iPhone 4. It has got nothing to do with fabrication process. Its pure marketing. If Nokia or Samsunj follow the same marketing stretegy as that of Apple, they will be more successful than apple

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
If you think a barcode scanner is the benchmark for a good mobile o.s,I have nothing much to say.

This.

I sure hope the lumias are more popular, ans so does WP7. Competition is good for us the users.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

Are you serious bro?

Can you upload a video to Youtube from your WP7 device?
Does your device have plug n play access to all files and folders on your device?
Can you share files via bluetooth?

Seriously? What's wrong with you?

dopeknight

Broken In
Nokia makes excellent hardware... The main question is, is WP7 as good as ICS? Not even close...

Had Nokia selected Android instead of WP7, my next phone would definitely had been a Nokia...

Agree with him, come on we want more android phones from Nokia, it was the best manufacturer, until all the smartphones came up, they should have too shifted to Android phones or something like that. All their good phones have not-so-good OS like Meego, WP7, and its own Symbian.
Android was a hit, they should have adopted it..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maemo in N900 was 10x better than Android back in the day (and still is). Should have used it instead of Symbian. More Maemo phones would have made Nokia the winner. But Nokia dropped the ball. Hilarious - they already had a readymade platform. All they had to do was, shift away from Symbian.

After that came the Android boom.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Are you serious bro?

Does your device have plug n play access to all files and folders on your device?

Seriously? What's wrong with you?

There are somethings that WP7 does better than android. And same goes the other way.

It all comes to one's personal choice. Personally, I use YouTube a lot.. but I never had the necessity to upload a video to it. If you want to upload the video for backup purpose, there is SkyDrive with unlimited storage(You can also upload to Facebook). Which can save your photos and videos in a click. And same goes with BT file transfer. Its been ages since I turned that on. So, It isn't always a bad thing for me. More over, did Android had BT file transfer when it was 1 year 5 months old?

And there are numerous things that WP7 does better, like say Social networking, which has been built into the bones of it. And most importantly usability.

The Geek base for Nokia started to fade away couple of years ago. But, with WP7 they are coming back. I think with Apollo release, most of the basic complaints will be fixed. May be then.. it will be an uprising.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
iOS doesn't have Bluetooth file transfer?

Nope. Actually the iOS is so fluid as it has no file system among other reasons(remember when you opened a file explorer on a Nokia or a Android you see C drive and E drive? Any iOS device has nothing as such)

I donot really complain Nokia ditching Symbian. The interface was getting really old and Android & iOS had a lot better OS.

Windows Phone 7.5 has brought some much needed change on the mobile imo. Something different from the traditional click the icon to open. Although I havent yet used a Mango based device yet from what I have read and heard the end user experience is really good. People just complain too much about not being able to transfer files over bluetooth. There aren't many who donot buy a iPhone because you cannot transfer files but I have heard people who donot want to buy a Mango device as it misses this feature.

Krow

Crowman
Apart from point 2, the others aren't really necessary. Bluetooth will die out. NFC is the way forward. Although Lumia 610 is the only Nokia NFC phone yet.

Fragmentation is killing Android. And low internal memory too. How hard is it to make phones with 1 GB internal memory?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Agree with him, come on we want more android phones from Nokia, it was the best manufacturer, until all the smartphones came up, they should have too shifted to Android phones or something like that. All their good phones have not-so-good OS like Meego, WP7, and its own Symbian.
Android was a hit, they should have adopted it..

you seem to accept it as a fact that android and ios are automatically better than the rest. And meego is not good??
You must be kidding me. :facepalm:

Nokia wands to stand out from the crowd of android phones, where the main talking point is dual core this and quad core that. People are forgetting a quad core doesnt matter if the user experience is not that good. I'm not saying that the quad core android phones have a bad interface, but honestly, the mid range androids are definitely laggy.

Now look at the WP7 ecosytem, strict hardware requirements mean that all the phones are nearly alike, but they all perform alike too. A 15k 710 performs exactly like a 23k 800, That is the point. And boy, what a beautiful thing it is- both the WP7 interface and the Lumia 800.

It annoys me like anything when my friends complain ' it has only 512MB RAM'. if you dont get the point about RAM, you shouldnt speak up. WP7 apparently is much more efficient in managing its RAM than android counterparts and hence works perfectly even with 512MB.

Personally i'm rather pleased to see that Nokia hasnt jumped into the android wagon and gotten lost in a meaningless sea of specmanship. For better or worse, nokia has always done things differently and thats why i respect them. It takes guts to choose to stay away from the mainstream, where all the current money is.

But still, Elop is killing the company.

Aerrow

Journeyman

Lol... I was planning to switch to Android.. was waiting for Nokia to launch MeeGo as their future OS and holding onto My N900.. tried my friend's Neo V for a week... I can see what u r talking abt... :D

There are somethings that WP7 does better than android. And same goes the other way.

It all comes to one's personal choice. Personally, I use YouTube a lot.. but I never had the necessity to upload a video to it. If you want to upload the video for backup purpose, there is SkyDrive with unlimited storage(You can also upload to Facebook). Which can save your photos and videos in a click. And same goes with BT file transfer. Its been ages since I turned that on. So, It isn't always a bad thing for me. More over, did Android had BT file transfer when it was 1 year 5 months old?

And there are numerous things that WP7 does better, like say Social networking, which has been built into the bones of it. And most importantly usability.

The Geek base for Nokia started to fade away couple of years ago. But, with WP7 they are coming back. I think with Apollo release, most of the basic complaints will be fixed. May be then.. it will be an uprising.

I agree partially... I feel the same way about the "features" that were mentioned.. with high speed internet at the grabs, who uses BT other than for headsets??

But, I wonder whether Nokia wud be able to come back.. Windows is a stable platform and will improve tremendously.. but wud it be enough for the geek base? No super user access and no modding? Isnt that a big no-no for most of them?

Krow

Crowman
Personally i'm rather pleased to see that Nokia hasnt jumped into the android wagon and gotten lost in a meaningless sea of specmanship. For better or worse, nokia has always done things differently and thats why i respect them. It takes guts to choose to stay away from the mainstream, where all the current money is.

I was one of Nokia's detractors when they moved to Windows Phone, but I am glad to stand corrected. Although they probably should have developed Maemo and MeeGo, Windows Phone is not a bad OS at all. They have done well by striking this deal and Nokia phones and their accessories stand out among the crowd. I agree with you on this point.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Android is the only platform which is completely PC independent... for other platforms, you need Zune or iTunes for transferring pictures, videos or music... It is confusing and complicated. Many things can go wrong. I once had my sister's iPhone 2G completely wiped clean after sync...

But Android can be used from any platform you like... Linux, Windows or Mac does not matter... Its plug and play... You don't have to install any crapware on your PC to manage your phone...

Android is the platform which truely brought decent smartphone experience to the masses. The budget smartphone buyers who couldn't afford 30k+ iPhones were stuck with glorified feature phones with crappy OSes from Samsung, Nokia, SE, LG until Android came to the rescue...

Google is truely amazing. Before Gmail came to the scene, I had a hotmail email account, with a measely 2 MB space... It was so pathetic... Then Google came, and revolutionized email with 1 GB space... I have a lot of respect for that company...

Android will get better and better... improvement will not stop... WP7 has lost the game... It was too late...

Krow

Crowman
^Sounds like your useername. :lol:

Android was good initially but Google's model of letting app developers and handset makers get away with pathetic implementation of resources has let a good platform down. Not saying Windows Phone or iOS is perfect, just that at the moment both work better than Android. So many people have complained about laggy phones (even with Galaxy Nexus), while almost no one complains about a laggy Lumia.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
AndroidFan said:
Android is the only platform which is
completely PC independent... for other
platforms, you need Zune or iTunes for
transferring pictures, videos or music...
I donot know about Zune but trust me once you have a lot of songs and lot of videos and many pictures having iTunes does help. Exactly knowing which applications to update and which songs you already have does help.
AndroidFan said:
Google is truely amazing. Before Gmail
came to the scene, I had a hotmail
email account, with a measely 2 MB
space... It was so pathetic... Then
Google came, and revolutionized email
with 1 GB space... I have a lot of respect for that company...
since you are talking about space Yahoo mail gives unlimited space. You cannot even send exe files on Gmail.
AndroidFan said:
Android is the platform which truely
brought decent smartphone
experience to the masses.
this I have to agree.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I donot know about Zune but trust me once you have a lot of songs and lot of videos and many pictures having iTunes does help. Exactly knowing which applications to update and which songs you already have does help.

We are in a post-PC world... Newer Androids will not need a PC at all... all updates will be OTA...

Zune and iTunes suck...

since you are talking about space Yahoo mail gives unlimited space. You cannot even send exe files on Gmail.

Google pioneered it... 1 GB space for email was unheard of at that time...

Yahoo has pathetic filters. My old Yahoo account gets hundreds of spam messages everyday, even after I try very hard to flag them... They keep coming...

But Gmail is perfect... Its fast, clean interface based on AJAX is awesome...

Sending and receiving exe files is a security risk, as most viruses spread that way...

noob

Cyborg Agent
this I have to agree.

that is because of security. else there is a possibility where people will send some spam .exe file in mail and our not so geek user ( mom dad etc) will run it on PC. I think its good to have such feature...how many people today use Yahoo ?

Another feature i like in Gmail is , if i mention word "attached/attachment" and have no file attached to mail , it prompts to confirm if i have forgot to attach files.

Both iTunes & Zune sucks..i have to keep 2 copies of music on PC because of that.. WP sucks when it comes to file copy.

Copying a simple 200 mb video file takes 20-30 min in WP :(

Both iTunes & Zune sucks..i have to keep 2 copies of music on PC because of that.. WP sucks when it comes to file copy.

Copying a simple 200 mb video file takes 20-30 min in WP :(

jasku

In the zone
I just bought the Lumia 710 for my dad, he is moving from a E75 to the Mango platform, and using the touchscreen for the first time in his life. I found the interface extremely fluid and simple, thats the reason I picked the Wp 7.5 for him. Checked out a few Drooids, but they arent really polished or complete. Also favored Nokia for its legendary reliability.

The MAngo does have its quirks, he wants profiles, and an SMS template, which was present in his E75. It can be easily customized, creating playlists on the go is a PITA, almost close to non existent.

But overall its a nice easy to use phone for people considering their first smart phone. I think Nokia and Microsoft have made a good start, and should build on it. Really looking forward to the Apollo update.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
^Sounds like your useername. :lol:

Android was good initially but Google's model of letting app developers and handset makers get away with pathetic implementation of resources has let a good platform down. Not saying Windows Phone or iOS is perfect, just that at the moment both work better than Android. So many people have complained about laggy phones (even with Galaxy Nexus), while almost no one complains about a laggy Lumia.

WP7 is designed to work on a specific hardware. Same thing for iOS...

Google launches a Nexus device every year to show what is possible in the new OS. Since Android is open source (Apache 2.0 license), Google has very little say in how Android is implemented on vendor phones...

There is very little Google can do to force device manufacturers to improve Android implementation. Google cannot implement Android on hundreds of different hardware varieties for them... that would be too expensive and slow. Other option is what Microsoft has done... forcing device makers to a specific set of hardware... but that is not Google's style...

Android runs on everything you can throw at it... ARM 6, ARM 7s, different implementations of ARM like OMAP, Tegra, Snapdragon, Hummingbird, etc... different GPUs... different screen sizes and resolutions... Android even runs on Intel Medfield chips which are x86-architecture based, as well as MIPS processors...

I agree that Android is inefficient... Android had to sacrifice efficiency for flexibility... Write Once, Run Anywhere Java Interpreter of Android is a resource hog... But it gives you freedom to choose a cheaper device, which can do most of the basic stuff expensive WP7 and iOS devices can.

Android is the new Windows of Mobile world... It has standardized and commoditized the phone, thus making it more affordable. It has provided a single platform to millions of developers to create apps which run on different devices from Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC and many other companies, which was not possible in the past...

WP7 and iOS don't even have a user-accessible file system. They are tied to one type of hardware... Its no surprise they are so much more smoother and efficient than Android...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom