Will c2d E4500 bottleneck HD 6850?

AJK

Broken In
hey guys i have been using e4500 for the past 3 years and im looking for an part by part upgrade now . firstly i was thinking about adding a HD 6850 to my current system but one of my friends said that the processor will bottleneck the gpu and i wont be able to get max fps at 1080p :???: is it true ? if so should i settle for a 5770 instead of 6850 ?also i would probably change the cpu and mobo in a few months time so what do u guys suggest i should do ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
My e7400 is definitely a bottleneck for my 6950. So I guess your CPU will be a bottleneck for 6850.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
tenida your CPU is the bottleneck,not GPU.

the gtx 560 ti can eat any nfs game for breakfast.

what you need to do is OC that cpu or get a c2 quad(no point really,i5/i7 is way to go).

@OP the C2D will be a bottleneck, you should save some more money and get a 2500k and budget p67/z68 mobo.

get the 6850 for now though.it should be ok for a while if u OC the CPU

Tenida

Gadget Freak
@Extreme bhai i am getting 30-40 fps in 1920*1080 resolution and sometime shutter problem. I think nfs hp is not optimized game.Yes cpu is bottle necking my gpu.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OCing is not gonna help you much. I had OCed my CPU to 3.6GHz, but it failed to remove the bottleneck. I think you have to hit at least 4 GHz to see some real difference.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
it is an optimized game ok?

OC the cpu and see the difference.3.6ghz should be easy for the e7300, 4ghz if good mobo.

also skud:lolwut?its a cpu bound game so it should not be unexpected.

try maxing out gfx quality in the driver control panel,like 16xQ AA or more.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both NFS HP & Dirt 2 gives 30-40 fps at their respective highest settings. Difference is that whereas Dirt 2 feels butter smooth despite low fps its not the case with NFS HP. I tried with AA setting set to Enhance application settings with Edge detect selected and Morphological AA is on. Also AF is always kept at 16x. Do I need to change anything?

Even in Vantage & 3dmark06 it doesn't give the scores that I have seen online or even anywhere near them, but 3dmark11 scores are up to the mark. It looks strange to me.

reflexx20

Silent Reader Since....
@everyone

when i asked in a thread that will my e5200 be a bottleneck for my 6850 then everyone said that overclock it a bit and it won't be......but now u guyz are saying that even e7300 is a bottle neck for high end GPU's.......????????????........kya yar mera to bana diya tum logo ne.....:/.....because while playing crysis2 my fps starts dropping after an hour of gameplay most probably coz of the so called E5200 :(

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
crysis 2 needs a quad core to be happy.

skud smoothness comes due to even timing of the frames.in hot pursuit you are getting frame lag.so net fps remains same but frame timing doesnt.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, but its not a good feeling to see a 30% OC having no effect on gameplay.:(
Will try to get a C2Q somewhere to do some testing.

OP
A

AJK

Broken In
@op the c2d will be a bottleneck, you should save some more money and get a 2500k and budget p67/z68 mobo.

Get the 6850 for now though.it should be ok for a while if u oc the cpu

how much of a difference will the cpu make in terms of gaming ?

and like i said in my earlier post i will be adding a cpu and mobo in a few months time but i need to buy the gpu this coming week itself .oh and im using gigabyte g31m-es2l mobo ,hope thats not a problem right ?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Ajk said:
how much of a difference will the cpu
make in terms of gaming ?
Depends what type of game you play. If you play GPU intensive game , they will work fine.
If proccy intensive, then stuterring might happen.

indiandude

Broken In
hey guys i have been using e4500 for the past 3 years and im looking for an part by part upgrade now . firstly i was thinking about adding a HD 6850 to my current system but one of my friends said that the processor will bottleneck the gpu and i wont be able to get max fps at 1080p :???: is it true ? if so should i settle for a 5770 instead of 6850 ?also i would probably change the cpu and mobo in a few months time so what do u guys suggest i should do ?

I have almost the same config as yours.I got a E4400 with a 6850.I have overclocked my CPU to 2.66 ghz (as I am on stock cooling).I am able to get 30-40 fps in all games(crysis,crysis 2 ,dirt 2,3,shift 2 etc.My nfs hp 2010 stuttering problem was solved by the latest patch.And trust me the difference from 2 to 2.66 ghz is massive.Onething though your min fps will not be that great so u will get the occasional stutter but if you can live with that you will be fine.(on a side note I get better performance with my config than my frien with a i5 2400 with a 5770).So you decide.

abhidev

Human Spambot
@AJK: buddy i have the same CPU that you have...and let me tell that its a big bottleneck in recent games....you won't enjoy a bit in playing recent games...i tried to overclock it but sadly my ASUS BIOS is outdated and refuses to update and support overclocking...so I am left with no choice but to upgrade.
So I would suggest go for the cpu-mobo upgrade first and then get the gpu...

Cilus

laborare est orare
AJK, since you are gonna upgrade step by step, you can go with a HD 6850 for now. Obviously there will be some performance boost irrespective of the CPU bottleneck. Try to overclock it upto 2.66-2.8 GHz and you will get very decent performance in almost all the games.

Top Bottom