Wi fi setup in ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddy_in65

Journeyman
We have a free wifi service in our area. Can any one provide me information how to setup wifi connection in ubuntu. I have vista as another OS. I have connected in vista but i tried in ubuntu but it failed.:mad:

din

Tribal Boy
May be you can post your question here. . . - so that you can expect more response :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I use Wifi on Ubuntu, full time. First you need to give details about the wifi hardware and if you haf proper drivers for the hardware working, then info about the wifi network, type of encryption (if any).

In my case, network manager didn't work. So i use WICD.

OP
maddy_in65

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I have laptop with broadcom wifi 802.11g. I have upgraded the drivers from restricted drivers manager and it shows it is working. However i cant configure network in ubuntu. Please help me to search network in ubuntu and connecting to it. It is a free network and dont require authentication.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Free Wifi - Where do you live :D
And use Wicd,Its supposedly a lot better at sustaining connections.
I dont use it but my friends do.

Regards,
ray

OP
maddy_in65

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I lives in pune, PMC provides free wifi internet in some area. Can you please provide some detail how to set up wifi in ubuntu

amitava82

MMO Addict
Wifi works out of the box in Ubuntu. Left click on Network Manager icon(top panel, right-hand side), it will show available wireless networks. Select any one you wish to connect to. Thats it! If you can not see any wireless network, then there must be some configuration problem. In that case post the output for this two command:
Code:
ifconfig
Code:
lspci -v

*polishlinux.org/reviews/networking/NetworkManager.png

praka123

left this forum longback
make sure ur wireless device is detected by GNU/Linux :)

o/p of lspci can show it.also run restricted driver manager in ur System>admin> menu to make sure if any drivers are needed to be installed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom