Why Torrent & crack is illegal in Thinkdigit Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I remembered a quote.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world. One who think of buying cheap licensed software and pirating unaffordable ones and those who think only of pirating software A or software B.

So let's try to be the first kind and support FOSS. Nobody here will be having all softwares licensed unless it was financed by the office or the guys uber rich. Even I use pirated softwares but I support FOSS by using only OOo and replacing a majority of paid softwares with free ones.

Wow man! You have one honest opinion. I couldn't but agree with all of it.
It all comes down to the term, "affordability". But he sure can try to use Open Source replacement for the ones he can't afford.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
It all comes down to the term, "affordability". But he sure can try to use Open Source replacement for the ones he can't afford.
Remember, "FREE" and "Open Source" are different terms. Its not necessary that all Open Source applications are FREE.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

If you have a brother/sister or any friend who is a student, you can get Genuine Windows Server 2008 R2 for free via Dreamspark.

WoW... Microsoft is so clever thinking Students will use Genuine Windows SERVER for daily use... Well played MS. :|

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
WoW... Microsoft is so clever thinking Students will use Genuine Windows SERVER for daily use... Well played MS. :|

I do not know if you have any personal enemity with Microsoft but I really hate it when people vent out venom unnecessarily. The above sarcasm was also uncalled for. MS doesn't only give Windows Server, but plethora of other applications too. Ever heard of Express Editions. Yeah they are cut down versions but are very useful.

And what about monopoly? I accept that many decisions made by MS suppressed competition (Netscape) and if controversy theories are to be believed they have killed people too. But nobody is forcing you to use Windows. People use pirated versions of Windows on their own. And I am not talking about users who are totally ignorant about piracy...many of those who know that it is wrong still do it.

I don't buy the BS that Windows is popular just because our local vendor installs pirated Windows in every assembled PC. Windows is popular because people find it useful and easy to use. Linux has every possible application to perform all the necessary tasks an "average" PC user would want but still it has a long way to go. After 20 years in existence Linux has yet to do more to catch the attention of a PC user just like it has swept the server market away.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I do not know if you have any personal enemity with Microsoft but I really hate it when people vent out venom unnecessarily. The above sarcasm was also uncalled for.
LOL.. Hell no.. Why would I have any personal enemity with M$? But as you have asked for, give me a guess figure, how many "students" would be using Microsoft SERVER edition for day-to-day computing?

And BTW that was irony, not sarcasm.

And what about monopoly? I accept that many decisions made by MS suppressed competition (Netscape) and if controversy theories are to be believed they have killed people too. But nobody is forcing you to use Windows. People use pirated versions of Windows on their own. And I am not talking about users who are totally ignorant about piracy...many of those who know that it is wrong still do it.

Err.. wait... Where does it come from? Is it for me or you are referring someone? Did I say anything related to that?

I don't buy the BS that Windows is popular just because our local vendor installs pirated Windows in every assembled PC. Windows is popular because people find it useful and easy to use. Linux has every possible application to perform all the necessary tasks an "average" PC user would want but still it has a long way to go. After 20 years in existence Linux has yet to do more to catch the attention of a PC user just like it has swept the server market away.
I do not know if you have any personal enemity with Linux but I really hate it when people vent out venom unnecessarily. The above sarcasm was also uncalled for.
;) :p

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Whoa whoa, thread is leading to a debate... I'll bring popcorn and soda, anybody there to join me.... :cool:

:windows: v :tux:

Don't start this again.

J

Joker

LOL.. Hell no.. Why would I have any personal enemity with M$? But as you have asked for, give me a guess figure, how many "students" would be using Microsoft SERVER edition for day-to-day computing?
i dont think there is much difference between windows server 2008 r2 and windows 7. i have availed dreamspark and i use windows server 2008 r2. only a few things are different. but they are exactly same in the broader sense. one can easily use windows server 2008 r2 for playing games etc. whatever he likes. :)

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Then sure it's a good news. But why only for students? They may give it for s/w professionals like us. Right? Because compared to students, the user base is high in latter IINW

J

Joker

this is exactly the reason why windows is popular. then linux is not "difficult" as some people will portray. the thing is, it is just different than windows and people are more used to doing things the "windows way" which is why they find linux "difficult." i again repeat, linux is not difficult at all. infact more logical and easier to use.

perhaps, some people who have used windows for like 8-9 years and not even used linux for 2 months? who are they to comment really? someone who knows both the operating systems clearly is the better judge.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
But why only for students? They may give it for s/w professionals like us. Right? Because compared to students, the user base is high in latter IINW

That's the whole point of giving "server edition to students". :p

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

i dont think there is much difference between windows server 2008 r2 and windows 7. i have availed dreamspark and i use windows server 2008 r2. only a few things are different. but they are exactly same in the broader sense. one can easily use windows server 2008 r2 for playing games etc. whatever he likes. :)

hmm... What about Windows Media Center then? ;)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Server edition is used mainly by SharePoint programmers, I do not know other usage. But for whatever reason the point is it is available for students free of cost apart from various other softwares.

@furious_gamer: bro I am not in for debate. ;) I just put my points forth. I thought that Garbage was trying to say that MS(Dreamspeak) is giving away only Server OS to students which is of no use.

That monopoly point was @ico. Sorry for confusion.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Server edition is used mainly by SharePoint programmers, I do not know other usage. But for whatever reason the point is it is available for students free of cost apart from various other softwares.

@furious_gamer: bro I am not in for debate. ;) I just put my points forth. I thought that Garbage was trying to say that MS(Dreamspeak) is giving away only Server OS to students which is of no use.

It's not your intention either, but the discussion started to move into that track, after seeing your's and Garbage's heated posts. :wink:

It's a neverr ending topic and IMO it's individuals point, whether to buy the s/w he needs or to pirate it. period.

Not that a friend of mine will change if i show him the articles and post. It's not. Even a friend of mine who is earning some 50k+ per month used to pirate every single game he plays, whereas i myself realized and started to buy original games, but now i myself limited playing games. Only play if i can afford. Simple.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This world actually has idiots like these: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/fight-club/137104-piracy-vs-open-source-vs-licensed-ones.html

end of.

I use all three Operating Systems equally and legally. One day I'm on Windows (currently), the other day I'm on Mac OS X and the third day I'm on Linux. I'm 17 and I don't even have any non-legit software in my machines.

Point is, use anything which you want to - but legally. Pirating and contributing to an already dominant monopoly is moronic.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

*img856.imageshack.us/img856/8863/mywindows.th.png

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are my softwares in Mac OS X: *img848.imageshack.us/img848/6579/screenshot20110311at529.th.jpg

That Adobe CS4 folder only contains Adobe Flash which you can obtain for free from here: Free Adobe Flash Platform Technologies | Adobe Flex Developer Center

Microsoft Office 2011 is legit. Got it for 3.5k.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ How come you have three OS'es in a PC, means Windows, Mac OS and Ubuntu. AFAIK MacOS is only available with Mac PC's, isn't it? Then how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom