Why most people don't finish video games

Piyush

Lanaya
Hmm...
well the most common reason among us are
-->time
-->boring gameplay/story
-->bugs or insanely high difficulty in some missions

anyways If I have to leave a game in between, I do that in initial couple of hrs
or else I finish that game 100% (at least main plot)

but still there are games which I haven't completed yet and wont do in any case
-->DA2:boooring as compared to DA:O
-->GTA Vice City:Stupid plot and even stupid missions
-->Fallout3:New Vegas was better IMO
-->Dead Space 2:difficult for me
-->Amnesia:insanely scary
...and many more...these are the latest which I could recall

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
One game I couldnt complete because of bugs but always wanted to:-
Batman Arkham Asylum :( Never got a chance to kill Poison Ivy

gameranand

Living to Play
Well I usually try to complete game I start but the most obvious reason for leaving a game for me is that I get addicted to some other game and leave first one behind. And most of the time I leave FPS, racing or arcade for RPG games.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Why? Is gamer=shooter? I don't think so. And these days they are mostly either a khichdi of fps/tps, rpg, strategy etc. in the name of innovation or multiplayer. I dislike both.
I was referring to ajai. Forgot to quote, my bad.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my list:
Blur ---> to be continued (2012 maybe).
NFS Undercover ---> cartoon racing game.
The Saboteur ---> third person shooter + GTA style, not for me.
TimeShift ---> BIG BAD BOSS.
Tomb Raider Anniversary ---> will never play it again.
Tomb Raider Legend ---> Flying dragon vs a girl.
Resident Evil 5 ---> third person shooter + survival.
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands ---> read above line + hand to hand combat.
Prototype ---> not for me.
GRAW2 ---> need LOT more practice.

MohsinMan99

RPG Overlord
Lack of good games on the PC. Honestly, so many shooters that I wonder why people don't get enough of them.
Lack of time? Multiplayer?
I had my share of shooters back in the old days and every shooter these days(forgive me if you find this offensive) seems pretty bland, repetitive and just a rehash of the other shooters I've played (probably because they are meant for a multiplayer experience whereas I've always been single player).
The same can be said for RPG's and the other genres to a lesser extent though they are still manageable.

In short, the main reason for me dropping games is because if you've been a gamer as long as me, everything seems to have been played/done before with the same half-baked stories with improved graphics being the only thing that probably distinguishes them.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Very nice topic.

I have completed:

Farcry
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode One
Crysis
Medal of Honor (PS3 version, 2010)
Call of Duty 2

Could not finish/got bored:
Crysis Warhead - Got bored after finishing Crysis.
Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword - could never win on normal (prince) difficulty.
Call of duty: Modern warfare - could not finish a level (not remembering the name), but this is where the protagonist and his sergeant have to pass through the enemy and their tanks and sniffer dogs, etc lying prone using stealth mode. This is where the story goes in flashback. Always got detected and killed.
Half Life - Got stuck in one of the last levels.
Doom 3 - Got stuck in one of the last levels, I think it is the penultimate level.
Rise of Nations - Got bored of the gameplay.
Grid (PC version) - Handling the cars very difficult. Although used to finish 2nd/3rd/4th in some races and proceeded around 9-10 years in the career mode, I could never win the 24 hrs Lemans race. In fact I could never finish it. But I liked the drifting mode very much. I could manage some incredible/legendary drifts from time to time but that was not enough to win any competition.
Age of Empires - Sometimes got defeated.
Company of Heroes - Ran into a very difficult level at the later stages.
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords - Boring. Uninstalled after 1 hr of playing.
Gears of War II - Very difficult controls on keyboard, mouse. Also I realized I did not like shooters on 3rd person.
Dead Space (PS3 version) - Let's say I did not like survival/horror. Let's say I have a weak heart.:p

Currently for the last couple of months, I am trying very hard to win on Prince difficulty in Civilization V.:(

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I have completed:

Farcry
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode One
Crysis
Medal of Honor (PS3 version, 2010)
Call of Duty 2

Could not finish/got bored:
Crysis Warhead - Got bored
Age of Empires - Sometimes got defeated.

already done.

Call of duty: Modern warfare - could not finish a level (not remembering the name), but this is where the protagonist and his sergeant have to pass through the enemy and their tanks and sniffer dogs, etc lying prone using stealth mode. This is where the story goes in flashback. Always got detected and killed.

"All Ghillied Up". not so hard. finish in first playthrough. you just need to keep moving from left to right & left so to avoid touching any enemy.

Half Life - Got stuck in one of the last levels.
Doom 3 - Got stuck in one of the last levels.
Rise of Nations - Got bored of the gameplay.

same. stopped playing midway.

yadpoc

Broken In
I've actually completed over 80% of the games i played. Think one of the important drives for me is that i'm curious of how something end, so i just have to complete. Or a status bar has to get to 100% for me. I dont take into consideration games you can't really finish like world of warcraft.

Think the reason why the overall percentage is that low is because of the large amount of casual players that only play a limited amount of time. They dont play enough to really get sucked into a story. So if the other aspect arent good enough they dont finish, because the dont care about how the story ends.

saddy

Broken In
Civ 5>>> boring as hell plus hogs on ur system down as i dont have uber cool rig..
Arcania: Gothic 4 >>>one of most dull story driven RPG game till date having poorly optimized graphics for PC although it was PC exclusive game.
Far cry 2 >>> repetitive as hell..left it after doing some missions
Wheelman>>> GTA clone with bad graphics and bad controls
john woo:Stranglehold >>>not my cup of tea
Street fighter >>>> fighting game r not of my taste.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I only finish games which has gripping gameplay & not repeated gameplay....
I stopped LFD in midway because of repeat & boring

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Far cry 2 is such a bad game. Installed, played 30 min, removed from my PC. It is nothing like far cry 1 (which is one of the best shooter imo)

Bro...it was a pure Sandboxie game....I agree most people hate FarCry 2 & love FarCRy1 but still I believe its the best sandboxie game with excellent graphics...beating Crysis in some areas :grin:

yadpoc

Broken In
Oke agree it looked good. And setting plains on fire was cool, for 1 min tops. I dont like sandbox games and i wanted to play a shooter like far cry 1. So i was disappointed when far cry 2 turned out to be a sandbox game :S.

Crytek rules when it comes to graphics.

Top Bottom