Why I feel AVG 8.0 is better than Avast! 4.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Until now, if anyone asked me for my free antivirus recommendation, then I’d happily direct them to www.avast.com but now it’s different. Previously, among free antivirus software, Avast! ruled the roost. But now, both Avast! and AVG have released their latest versions. Avast! Home 4.8 and AVG Free 8.0. I myself have tested both of them, so I can truly tell you which is better.

AVG has completely revamped it’s user interface. The old one was a dull, boring and totally uninspiring one. But the new one is slick and rather cool- looking. It’s based on a light blue colour theme. Avast! retains the old media player- like interface, and to be honest, I’m bored of it now. You can download skins for it though. In my opinion, AVG’s interface is much better and more like that of a professional antivirus.

In terms of features, there are quite a lot from both. AVG again, has new things on offer. The new version has an antivirus, antispyware, e-mail scanner, linkscanner and resident shield. It allows you to configure the various aspects of each of the components. You can, for example, add extensions which you want the resident shield to scan. You can also configure the way scans take place, for e.g- you can configure the type of scan- fast, slow or automatic. There are a lot more settings that can be configured by an advanced user. Even the default settings will do fine for a newbie. Avast doesnt have too many new features. All the old features remain, and are improved, that’s all.

In terms of resources, AVG consumes more than Avast! but isn’t very noticeable unless you have a snail for a PC. The size of the setup file is shocking- close to 46 MB! This makes it very inconvinient to download using dial- up connections. Once installed on your hard drive, however, it takes no more than 32 MB.

Overall, Avast! 4.8 is just an update to the previous version, where AVG Free 8.0 feels like a whole new antivirus program. Highly recommended by me.
Download AVG Free 8.0

*shishir007.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/my-antivirus-recommendation-avg-free-80/

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I found AVG 8.0 heavy, back to my earlier favourite Avast 4.8 :)

Avast Rocks & AVG too . :)

E- Peace :D

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
agree to avg and avast too,

i myself hv used NORTON (a real system HOG :grrr...:), Avast professional (really lite on system but faisl to detect sum species of virus (esp. wen d/loading from torrents) then went on to NOD32 (the best and really lite on the system) but stopped using it as the definitions jus wouldn't update :( then went on to use Kaspersky Internet security 2009 and using this currently.. :)

Cheers n e-peace...

axxo

99.9% Idle
Both Avast & AVG lags in detection rate. That's where Antivir comes in. It has got the best detection rate next to Kaspersky.

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Using Avast past 3 years & never got any problem :D
Fact is they aren't just use less resources their updates also are pretty small indeed *files.myopera.com/Tamil/Smilies/Happy.gif

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
i think every other AV is good and its usage and protection depends on wat the users use them for..

eg: say i use torrents alot, so for me NOD32 and Kaspersky giv me alot more protection for TCP and UDP packets and ports as wel.. wich the avast wud fail in these conditions,, similarly there are many other instances where the AV fails for one user and succeeds for the other user... :)

Cheers n e-peace....

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

not good for me as i d/load using torrents, so it does not check ports for malicious s/ware.. this is wat i said in my post here...

i think every other AV is good and its usage and protection depends on wat the users use them for..

eg: say i use torrents alot, so for me NOD32 and Kaspersky giv me alot more protection for TCP and UDP packets and ports as wel.. wich the avast wud fail in these conditions,, similarly there are many other instances where the AV fails for one user and succeeds for the other user...

:)

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Avast NEVER worked well for me. It seldom healed; just notified me about a virus attack. :x Not that I hadn't made the correct settings; yet. But that was 1.5 year ago. and I don't know how it is now.

AVG Impressed me since the beggining; The older interface; though old-school kind, was slick and USABLE. The current one confuses me a lot; maybe Im the only one not liking it.
And I dont judge an AV by its looks; Avast disappointed me on its first encounter with a virus; nothing of the sort with AVG.

regards;
IronMan

Kulz

Save the WORLD !!!
Avast is the one i would go for because it detects a lot of viruses while i download from limewire or so..AVG has failed in these cases for me..

Avast simply keeps you free of mind :cool:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I like avast detection capabilities but what I don't get is it fails to repair. Have to del or quarantine the infected file.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
+1 :D
as the updatesa re the smallest i guess,
--------------

@ Cool G5:

totally agree to ur point buddy and really good point noted.. :)
-------------

@ shaunak (off topic), love reading ur siggy..lol..
------------

FOr me it was Norton (for a long time, 2 yrs) then as i was able to figue it out and others prompted me as well tat it was a system HOG :grr...:

then, i moved on to Avast Professional, it had gr8 detection rates but sum how on many occassions, it failed to delete the file and jus quarantine it. :(

then moved on to NOD32, it was gr8, really lite on the system but sum how (thepast cpl of weeks) the update servers got overly loaded and hence updates were not working, not even manual updates.. :( so,

i switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and using it past 4-5 days, its also gr8./..
----------------

so, overall, it wud be Kaspersky (or NOD32) for the 1st place :D
--------------

Cheers n e-peace....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom