Why don't you like to pay online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Ok, I have observed this very tendency in many people esp from developing countries. Though most people hate to pay as it is(but will end up paying because they need to), some are very opposed to paying for things found on the internet.

I would like from those so as why they are reluctatnt to pay for online stuff. Few things I can think of are:
1. I can pay but don't have the means such as a credit card or debit card.
2. Internet knowledge should be free of cost to everybody
3. because I never saw my parents paying anything online(our parents must have hardly used internet as we use today), so I am too reluctant to give it a thought.
4. I am a freebie junkie and will not pay even if i absolutely need that thing.
5. I am new to the concept and don't understand the online payment concept itself. I still want to meet the person and hand over the money to him

What is your reason?

Yesterday, I was in situation where my free email provider decided that they will stop free service within 7 days and free users would need to upgrade to continue. Because that email was important to me, I decided to upgrade. Mind you, if they had not taken this step, I might have continued to use their free service as long as I could. But then because I wanted to preserve that account, I was willing to pay but I had no easy means as my only debit card was not accepted by paypal. Finally I requested Ravi (ravi_9793) to help me and he agreed. Its a different matter that I successfully made some overnite arrangements and got all my mails shifted to my domain and hosting account(which also happens to be provided by Ravi's webhosting company) and then never needed to pay that money for the upgrade. But what if I had no domain+hosting with Ravi and Ravi would have declined to help?

Were you ever in a similar situation?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well .. I pay all my utility and credit card bills online .. In fact I look for websites before buying to see if the item is available for online purchase. I havent visited the branch where my account is (what a shame I work in a bank :D ) for dont remember how long. I've bought from EBay, online shopping sites , ticket reservation and have never been cheated (if thats most people's reservation about online payment).

Internet banking is a boon for people like me who are always short of time.

And btw .. You like it or not a big contribution to make people aware of online payment is done by irctc. I remember getting up early in the morning to queue up for getting a ticket at the counter. Now I'll just wait till 8 AM when the site opens and make reservation (If the site is working :D). In fact my dad (who never seem to understand how to use tables in MsWord) is fairly confident using online reservation sites.

iatb.gourav

Ready To Rule !!!
Well, I feel it's too risky using my credit card to pay online.

I know, there are some genuine sites but, along with them there are fake ones as well. This insecurity makes me stay away from online payment at all !!!

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I never purchase anything online because I prefer to touch and feel the thing first. Paying before I see that the thing is even available in reality is not a great idea as far as I am concerned.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I would like from those so as why they are reluctatnt to pay for online stuff. Few things I can think of are:
1. I can pay but don't have the means such as a credit card or debit card.
5. I am new to the concept and don't understand the online payment concept itself. I still want to meet the person and hand over the money to him
got it :!:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I dont have a credit card. I have a debit card, but Indian Bank does not have a virtual credit card service.

din

Tribal Boy
Same as batty here !!

I pay all my bills online - Airtel mobile, Tata usb modem, reliance card, VSNL broadband, LIC premium and everything I can think of.

And yes, almost all the time I book the Railway tickets through IRCTC website.

I fall in the category Time Is Money, so whenever I get a chance to save time and avoid the long queue, I go for online payments.

Yes, without a Credit card things are not very easy.

For online payments, we have to be very careful - for sure. Taking max precautions, but I agree, there is small risk involved always.

I never paid online from a public computer, like netcafe etc.

PS : I remember using my Federal Bank online transactions like for 2 yrs (2-3 transactions per week) and never went to bank, after 2 years, when I went there I couldn't locate bank first lol, was worried a but saw bank in the next building, they were doing some building repair or so.

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I am going to get a credir card now(may be with a small limit at first intil I learn to handle it!)

sourav123

Thinking Different
I use online payments mostly for the following needs:

1. Making utility bill payments like electricity bills, mobile bills, broadband bills etc. I do this through my bank account's bill payment facility.
2. Booking railway tickets from irctc website through credit card.
3. Bookig flight tickets from respective airline websites.

I have never used Paypal. Can anybody tell me it it is secure or not.

Also, on a related note, is there any credit card where I myself can adjust the spending limit instead of the card company specifying one? I know about a few prepaid cards, but not sure if they work exactly as regular credit cards.

My advice to all is try to use your bank account's NEFT facility or debit card whenever possible. Also, while using credit card, stick to one card. This helps in tracking your purchase and also getting reward points.

praka123

left this forum longback
I have bought few things from ebay.in .no problems :) apart from that most of the online sites if you used for buying utils are very costly.I heard it is the reverse in USA :p

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Thats is because online shopping itself is less popular in India. How many really think of online business? Most of the people want a pricey location to set up their business. So how is it possible that you will really get low prices?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Paypal sucks.
Because i can't transfer from my bank to paypal.
they ask for credit card. which i don't have. and my parents will never allow me to use one online.

Last edited:

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Even I pay everything through bank transfer or credit card...

Btw guys look at this
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/16-yea...d_gang_from_Mumbai/rssarticleshow/3129967.cms

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
Well .. I pay all my utility and credit card bills online ..

paying credit card bills with credit card ?!? sounds wierd

and mind all , dont use ur cc to purchase anywhere else except POPULAR ecommerse sites . use VCC for safer purchases . as i know how to extract .... you got the idea . hehe

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Paying credit card bills online - possible

Most net banking interface has it (HDFC, ICICI etc). It transfer money from bank account for the CC.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Well .. I pay all my utility and credit card bills online .. In fact I look for websites before buying to see if the item is available for online purchase. I havent visited the branch where my account is (what a shame I work in a bank :D ) for dont remember how long. I've bought from EBay, online shopping sites , ticket reservation and have never been cheated (if thats most people's reservation about online payment).

+1 same here as well, I pay both my mobile bills online, Credit Card bill, Landline Bill and Tata Sky recgarge all done online. Money transfer also I do online. Have purchased quite a few items online. Used paypal to pay online. And all my ticket reservation is done online. I cant remember the last time I did any train/Plane reservation manually...................

Quite true for me as well.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I pay bills and do other transactions online by Credit Card (Citibank VISA). I have also used PayPal. As long as your system is free of keyloggers you need not worry from your end, else do all your transactions in a more secure OS ;)
However, Rohan, the biggest risk in having a credit card is not using it online, but using it offline :) When you use your card offline, especially at restaurants; the waiter/cashier have enough time to note down your details, including the VCC number (last three digits at the back of your card).
This can be used later for online transactions at xxx.com :p
This is not just a theoretical possibility but has happened in big hotels.

praka123

left this forum longback
debit card?will it be used to purchase things online? I tried cash deposit only(as yet!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom