Why do you study?

Why do you study?

• To play safe (better marks-good college-good job)

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • To learn

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Both ?!

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
Papa ka buziness sambhalne ke liye :D

The day I m 29 or 30, mom will start blackmailing me emotionally for marriage. So I study to know my stuff perfectly to get a good salary when I am 30 :D.

Everything is planned.
My mom has already started playing this trick on me and i will be 25 next day :(

Last edited:
Its half the truth. Even some persons walk out of competition mindfully. Life is simple (and fresh) at lower level than at the higher ones. Lagging behind is a subjective feeling. Going up comes with degradation in values but living as a facade.

See the monks and others for example. Competition actually is a sick disease. And we are the one who inherit it out lineage.
I agree. But being at peace with yourself (now that you [by "you" I mean hypothetically] are a moral person) wont necessarily put bread on the table. :|
Eh... what about some people (wont name them) who dont have ANY damn talent or knowledge but are still popular and earn a lot of money. Our life slightly depends on luck too.
Not everyone has such luck in life. :(
But Luck too plays a key role. :|

IITian

Broken In
Any guy who says "I study because I love it/it's my life/I want to" is lying.

Face it, if everything came easy, nobody would want to burn the mid-night oil to finish that assignment, or be buried in a pile of books whole day to top the class.

not necessarily..
studies isn't about being a topper or getting a job or making money.there is a much bigger thing which is self satisfaction.
i study because i want to learn about things.there were times when regular subjects like history and economics etc. seemed like a burden to me, but now whenever i find some spare time, i always try to find stuff about the greatest wars and all..
i know few kids here will differ but as they will grow along the path of evolution, they will understand that the educational system that we have is almost perfect.
it gives u a flavor of everything and then u can choose chose a direction to put ur efforts on.
True geeks won't understand a word of what i m talking about..;-)

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
Studies in school or college are comletely meant to help us bag some fame and wealth. The syllabus there is NEVER enough for someone who studies for knowledge. That's why I find myself ending up at wikipedia half the time I sit down to study, and I am not complaining either! I study in two different formats, one for proving that I'm worth my internet connection and also perhaps a graphics card;). The other, to ACTUALLY know about the ways of the world and to learn (I call this research:D).

Eh... what about some people (wont name them) who dont have ANY damn talent or knowledge but are still popular and earn a lot of money. Our life slightly depends on luck too.
Who said the world is fair? God has his favourites! And anyway, some men have greatness thrust upon them. No one knows one's own fate. Fate cannot be trusted! Thus to ensure life, one has to prepare! Also, I've always wanted to quote this:-

"You cannot change your fate, no man can!" --The old man.:)D:D:DI know most people here don't have a clue as to who said this, just don't ask.)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
That's why I find myself ending up at wikipedia half the time I sit down to study, and I am not complaining either!

Yeah, I remember doing same when it was time to read syllabus books. I always loved reading reference books...local author books can earn you marks but nothing beats the moment spend with reference books. I still adore them more than syllabus books...lol:D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I've always wanted to quote this:-

"You cannot change your fate, no man can!" --The old man.:)D:D:DI know most people here don't have a clue as to who said this, just don't ask.)
POP-WW: Last sentence of the game.:D

B/W, I guess this is the first in my DigitForum life I'm observing T's avatar is not related to Korea:):rolleyes::D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Oh lol, wot ? Previous one was not related to Korea too. It was from some random website, I found a pic of old clay doll.

I wish if only India had gone through that much development what S Korea has achieved withing a short span of time:rolleyes:

I don't study to top the class or get a good job(will be doing business and all). I do it to get knowledge. In my class,all the toppers are the ones who keep buried in the books all the time which I never could or would. It satisfies me that I'm not an illiterate who would end up selling all his property for two square meals.
So,I study just to know more, give exams and satisfy myself that I passed yet another class(not just passed,I manage to get 70-80%).

not necessarily..
studies isn't about being a topper or getting a job or making money.there is a much bigger thing which is self satisfaction.
i study because i want to learn about things.there were times when regular subjects like history and economics etc. seemed like a burden to me, but now whenever i find some spare time, i always try to find stuff about the greatest wars and all..
i know few kids here will differ but as they will grow along the path of evolution, they will understand that the educational system that we have is almost perfect.
it gives u a flavor of everything and then u can choose chose a direction to put ur efforts on.
True geeks won't understand a word of what i m talking about..;-)
I agree here. And I'm not saying "no" to learning new things.
All I want to say is that in this rat race of ours, it is only those who perform who get ahead. And studying helps one do so as well.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys, those who are telling that they don't care about future outcome, they just study for knowledge, I salute ur daring. I guess most of u have quite good financial support for ur dream projects (or the path u've chosen to pursue in future).

But, ask someone who has something to give back to family, where spending in ur study is equivalent to investing in u, ask them what a good Job means to them.
Ask any people in IT field, we all hate it to the core, but we all are stuck here only for the money.

U know at the end of the day "Money matters" or should I say "Money can't buy everything but it can put u in a better bargaining position".

Infernal12

Sony Ericsson Lover
for the future...and i like it too. But no studying for exams like the boards. For those, all you need is the ability to mug. :D

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Guys, those who are telling that they don't care about future outcome, they just study for knowledge, I salute ur daring. I guess most of u have quite good financial support for ur dream projects (or the path u've chosen to pursue in future).

But, ask someone who has something to give back to family, where spending in ur study is equivalent to investing in u, ask them what a good Job means to them.
Ask any people in IT field, we all hate it to the core, but we all are stuck here only for the money.

U know at the end of the day "Money matters" or should I say "Money can't buy everything but it can put u in a better bargaining position".
Can you tell me at what age and how did you earn your first buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom