Why do people buy Macbook?

figjam00

Broken In
Even though I know what apple macbook is but I always wonder why people purchase this. I am planning to buy a laptop and thought about buying Macbook so I went to the store and tried it. It is different world altogether. So what are the pros and cons of buying apple macbook.

kickfury

Broken In
Like you said, it has a class of its own. people who buy a Mac want to have something different. If you enter a room filled with laptop users, how many of them would be using a Dell or HP laptop VS. a Mac? Advanced technology is another reason, although one can argue that other manufacturers can provide better configs at the same price. in the end, its all up to how much you value the brand, don't look for VFM when you buy a Mac. Its gives you good tech for sure, but at a price.

red dragon

Master troll
Regarding VFM thing,Macbook Pro is not that overpriced.
Take a look at good Windows laptops like thinkpad T,W series,Dell's Latitude or HP's elitebooks...they are equally expensive(if not more) than MBPs.
Moreover Macs do have the highest resale value,you can easily recover more than 50% after you sell it off,even after 2-3 years.

n3rd

In the zone
Build quality, brand name. And obviously if your primary tasks are iOS oriented, and you own Apple devices.
I do find it way too overpriced though, even if you take into account every pros of MB.

Regarding VFM thing,Macbook Pro is not that overpriced.
Take a look at good Windows laptops like thinkpad T,W series,Dell's Latitude or HP's elitebooks...they are equally expensive(if not more) than MBPs.
Out of curiosity, which models would that be? I mean identical configs and nearly equal price? There are plenty of excellent Dell laptops that pwns MBP specswise for about the same price. Thinkpads in general are not that great (IMO obviously, people might have different views on that) but still I bet there are models w/ much better specs vs MBP ffor the same price range.

red dragon

Master troll
Out of curiosity, which models would that be? I mean identical configs and nearly equal price? There are plenty of excellent Dell laptops that pwns MBP specswise for about the same price. Thinkpads in general are not that great (IMO obviously, people might have different views on that) but still I bet there are models w/ much better specs vs MBP ffor the same price range.
It is not always the fastest processor or the greatest graphics is the deciding factor for the price.
You may find Thinkpads unappealing because either you don't use your laptop as a tool or your life/job does not depend on it.
And BTW,Macs do not run iOS.

n3rd

In the zone
It is not always the fastest processor or the greatest graphics is the deciding factor for the price.
Um, then what exactly are we talking about here? Those are some of the areas where you can objectively rate a laptop vs another. Processor, Graphics, RAM and HDD quality are easily the most vital and deciding factors - rest comes after the raw specs.

You may find Thinkpads unappealing because either you don't use your laptop as a tool or your life/job does not depend on it.
And BTW,Macs do not run iOS.

I mean OSX, my bad. My 'life' does depend on it and I use the heck out of my laptop. It's just a personal preference and experience, plenty of people love thinkpads.

OP
F

figjam00

Broken In
This is going to be very fruitful conversation. :)

I am pretty game of buying macbook but I have concerns regarding the fact that won't I be locked in apple universe. So for a regular user does it makes sense to buy a macbook instead of other windows laptops.

Which version is the VFM?

red dragon

Master troll
Um, then what exactly are we talking about here? Those are some of the areas where you can objectively rate a laptop vs another. Processor, Graphics, RAM and HDD quality are easily the most vital and deciding factors - rest comes after the raw specs.
I was talking about build quality,screen quality,battery etc(even though TN,MBP's screen is much better than Inspiron,DV6,Vaio E series etc)and things like that.
A similarly speced Thinkpad T series costs about 10/15k more than a E series Thinkpad.
Dell's Latitude costs a hell lot more than similar or lower speced XPS or Inspiron.

If you are forced to travel with your laptop around the world,then only you will be appreciate the true value of a thinkpad or Latitude.

red dragon

Master troll
This is going to be very fruitful conversation. :)

I am pretty game of buying macbook but I have concerns regarding the fact that won't I be locked in apple universe. So for a regular user does it makes sense to buy a macbook instead of other windows laptops.

Which version is the VFM?

You can always use Windows on Macs.
What exactly do you mean by regular user?
If you don't travel much and use your laptop mainly for gaming and media consumption,any consumer oriented laptop will suffice you.
MBP is VFM compared to Thinkpads and alike,certainly not compared to Inspiron/xps/dv6 etc.
Unlike iOS,OSX is not closed and the latest one(Mountain Lion) is actually very nice.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
airplay
fewer viruses
stability of OS

mac on PC hardware is much much more buggy than Windows on macbooks

n3rd

In the zone
I was talking about build quality,screen quality,battery etc(even though TN,MBP's screen is much better than Inspiron,DV6,Vaio E series etc)and things like that.
A similarly speced Thinkpad T series costs about 10/15k more than a E series Thinkpad.
Dell's Latitude costs a hell lot more than similar or lower speced XPS or Inspiron.

If you are forced to travel with your laptop around the world,then only you will be appreciate the true value of a thinkpad or Latitude.
Latitude is just made for travel purposes, i.e. who travel a LOOOOOOOOOT. Otherwise it's terrific build quality is a waste. You can't possibly compare that with MBP?
It is supposed to cater to a very niche audience.
PS: If you're talking about portability rather, then yeah. I suppose you could make a good case for MBP then.

Sarath

iDota
I think OP should post his requirements so that we can know whether a MBP will do him any good.

I personally never look at Macbooks because I cannot play my games on it. (also I cannot afford then; should have mentioned this first :D)

I have seen people who have light computer usage like surfing, chat, video chat etc vouch for the Macbook air since it is light and oozes a lot of......beauty :)
People who work with some OSX programs or work related requirements, have MBP. Some people just have them, I do not know why.

Also they are overpriced.

drsubhadip

In the zone
I have bought Macbook pro in December 2011..13 inches..

Now after 1 yr 1 month...it is still the same ..
no lag... still great battery..7 hr in Mac ..and almost 4 hr in Windows.

what a screen..and what a track pad..

if u use it once..u will love it..multiple gesture..use it ..u will never use mouse again.

Believe it or not..

look wise it is best..
backlit keys.

using almost 14 hr per day..continuously in last 1 yr..

just still so new.. my HP laptop getting old..bought later..

using dual boot in mac.. windows 7 in bootcamp..no trouble.. u can do anything..

using windows 7 in bootcamp for trading purpose.. so great..
u will love it..

U have to see it to believe it.

best of luck

Top Bottom