Which way to opt AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@ QwertyManiac
If Im not wrong, DDR2 slots are much bigger than DDR1. As Im an AMD fan i was not able to see a DDR2(damn), nd the voltage rating is also different, then how come it is backward compatible with older DDR????
This is the ionformation Ive got from the mags...

sanket123

Right off the assembly line
You can't have a DDR 2 if you go for an AMD proc.

Intel dual core 2.66 GHz will cost you about 5900-6200 bucks.

Last edited:
QwertyManiac said:
Yes all DDR2 supportive slots have backward comaptiblity with DDR =)
aravind_n20 said:
@ QwertyManiac
If Im not wrong, DDR2 slots are much bigger than DDR1. As Im an AMD fan i was not able to see a DDR2(damn), nd the voltage rating is also different, then how come it is backward compatible with older DDR????
This is the ionformation Ive got from the mags...

Yep DDR-II is not backward compatible. The pin count is 240 as opposed to 184 of DDR. Also, the notch on the RAM stick is at a different position. So you cannot accidentally force DDR into a DDR-II slot or vice versa.

- Keith

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
eagle_y2j said:
but till now nobody recommended me a gud mobo+CPU (AMD)?

Okay.....Can u increase ur budget by 6K then u can go for a AMD 3800+ X2 and a ASUS A8N-E

OR go for a 3500+ (Venice) and a ASUS A8N-E or A8N-VM....

This will be enough for for ur need.......

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
If its AMD the choice starts here!!!!!
**AMD 64 X2 4400+@dun know(Extreme perf with 2x1mb cache)
**AMD 64 X2 3800+@13~14k (costly it might seem, but defenitely worth it 2x512kb)
**AMD 64 3500+ @9.5~10k (extreme perfomance in overall single threaded apps and good compared to dual cores in multithreaded apps)
**AMD 64 3200+@7k (Good perfomance and very good value for money and has potential to oc to hogh values)
**A8NE @ ~5.5k (Very good mobo with tons of everclocking options and rock solid with nf4 ultra)
**A8N SLI Deluxe@8k (SLi ready, highly ocable, great value SLI mobo,nf4SLI)
**MSI K8N Diamond@8~9k(SLI ready, ocable, creative 24bit 7.1 onboard audio, tons of features, nf4SLI)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
All of these are 64 bit and vista compatible. If u add a GF7 series card u can enjoy the transperencies and other visuals in Vista (At least a FG7300@5k)
All of these mobos(and proc) supports only DDR1 (but at ultra low latencies) but could produce higher memory bamdwidth scores than DDR2 on Intel if u use quality rams with low latencies and good mobos(above ones).

------------------------------------------------------------------
For the mentioned price ur best choice(if AMD) would be a 3200+9 with an A8N E mobo.

OP
eagle_y2j

eagle_y2j

Youngling
hmmmmmm it seems I hav to add some more fund to my budget . K I can stretch upto 16000 .but which 1 is gud choice for me
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Intel D 820+945 ASUS P5LD2
2.AMD 3800+ X2 and a ASUS A8N-E

Which of above is a gud performer and and will run smoothly to next 2 years.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
AMD AMD AMD...its hell of the bast yaar...its stock speed is 2ghz and it can be easily overclocked to 2.6 with stock cooling and above with good cooloing. Isn't it gr8??? U can hear bout personnel xperience of freaks who own such proc from xbitlabs forum or some other worldwide forums or tomshardware. And nothing much to say bout A8NE..do we..
But intel procs suck...running at higher clocks and generating more heat. Also for AMD u can go for comparatively cheaper SLI solution mobo even from ASUS(A8N SLI) at 7.8k or less. But for intel SLI mobo is sure to cost a bomb.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Wait till Jan for Intel quad-core conroe

Huh ??? Conroe is supposed to be dual core no ??? And that quad core thingy .. isn't the K8L being developed by AMD ???

And about the upgrade .. go for a P4 EM64T processor with a 915 mbo .. with a guaranteee of 600 MHz oc with ddr333/400 ram ... it should beat the corresponding AMD ... hell i mean .. get a 2.8 .. and run it at 3.4 ....

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
eagle_y2j said:
hmmmmmm it seems I hav to add some more fund to my budget . K I can stretch upto 16000 .but which 1 is gud choice for me
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Intel D 820+945 ASUS P5LD2
2.AMD 3800+ X2 and a ASUS A8N-E

Which of above is a gud performer and and will run smoothly to next 2 years.

AMD 3800+ X2 and A8N-E would be much better...3800+ X2 is better than even P D 9xx...
So just get a 3800+ X2....u will be happy with it.....

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hey its out of his budget as it costs 13k + 5.5k=18.5k. But is budjet is only 16k which he had increased from 12k. But its good if he could shell out another 2.5k.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
aravind_n20 said:
Hey its out of his budget as it costs 13k + 5.5k=18.5k. But is budjet is only 16k which he had increased from 12k. But its good if he could shell out another 2.5k.

hmmm....for his AMD budget 3500+ with ASUS A8N-E or ASUS A8N VM is the best option....

r.dhara

Right off the assembly line
as far as dual core processors are concerned AMD are much better than Intel coz in intel the basic principle is that only one processor can be used at a time, whereas in AMD both the processor cores function simultaneously. (Source: A seminar on dual core processors from a well known tech guide.) but dual cores are expensive for ur budget. U can instead opt for AMD 3200 with ASUS A8N-VM MOBO. it has all ur requirements and an onboard Geforce 6 graphics chipsets. I am using the same config and the performance is gr8.

pop143

Journeyman
i do want to know....the intel cache memory is greater than that of AMD in all models??? then how can the AMD copeup with being atleast good ?

y do ppl say AMD, when they have l2 cache high in intel? wot are the rules / feautres have to be looked in AMD ????

is there any ebooks / sites to tell all about processors??? so that i cud learn atleast something about them..??

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yeah its right dat AMDs clock nd L2 cache are smaller than Intel, but the L1 of AMD is much greater than Intel. Also AMD has the memory controller integrated into the proc.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
aravind_n20 said:
AMD AMD AMD...its hell of the bast yaar...its stock speed is 2ghz and it can be easily overclocked to 2.6 with stock cooling and above with good cooloing. Isn't it gr8??? U can hear bout personnel xperience of freaks who own such proc from xbitlabs forum or some other worldwide forums or tomshardware. And nothing much to say bout A8NE..do we..
But intel procs suck...running at higher clocks and generating more heat. Also for AMD u can go for comparatively cheaper SLI solution mobo even from ASUS(A8N SLI) at 7.8k or less. But for intel SLI mobo is sure to cost a bomb.

well things changed yet again...intels new launch pentium d 804 is beating amds any processor....its dual core, n costs very much affordable 6400 bux....n wats d best it beats amd's fastest cpu wihout over heating + being overclocked.....check toms hardware again for d updated news....
*www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

gud luk
cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom