Which UPS should I buy

jetboy

Journeyman
Hello Friends,

I had a couple of bad experience due to power problems and therefore want to go for a UPS. Would a UPS serve the purpose or would I need a UPS and a spike guard?

My configuration is

E8400|intel G45ID|MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC|2gb ram|500GB HDD|22" Samsung LCD|Corsair Power 650TX|NZXT Guardian 921 RB

Can you please point me to a good UPS? would 500VA do the job?

Thanks!

gautam_dey66

Error 404
Buddy, I knw what bad power supply and it damages feels lyk.
To be frank, a 500VA UPS just won't be enough looking @ ur config.
APC's 500VA brand may support ur config. But I M n0t so sure about it, plus APC's good UPS don't come cheap.
To be on the safer side, I would reccomend
Microtek
2 Battery
Double Power+
800VA UPS
@ 3.1K
I've it for a month now and its fantastic.
You could also opt for a spike guard if ur budget allows it.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
@OP when asking advice on buying a component always mention your budget please.

I bought 2 of those 800va microtek ups's and they went kaput :( the 1st one after an year and the 2nd one after 1 month :S But I do know some people who have been using it for 3 years without a problem. Maybe I am just unlucky with that microtek ups :S

If you do get microtek get that 800 va one @2.8-3.2k

gautam_dey66

Error 404
@OP when asking advice on buying a component always mention your budget please.

I bought 2 of those 800va microtek ups's and they went kaput :( the 1st one after an year and the 2nd one after 1 month :S But I do know some people who have been using it for 3 years without a problem. Maybe I am just unlucky with that microtek ups :S

If you do get microtek get that 800 va one @2.8-3.2k

My last (fried) ups was also Microtek'S 600VA and it was fried because of the very bad electricity supply. It lasted 4 years. My new ups is working fine and i hope it that it lasts atleast 6 years.

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
It is always good to get a higher rated UPS. A 600 VA one will do a decent job, but considering the possibility of upgrades, 800 VA wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Spike guard only if you're unsure of the wiring in the location you're using your system. Otherwise, I don't think you'll be needing it.

somulesnar

Journeyman
@ OP

I would suggest u to go for either of the two.

APC 600 VA UPS @ 1.7K
APC 800 VA UPS @ 2.8K

Yes a 600va would do the job but if u are ready to spend a a few more bucks then to be on teh safe side go for the 800va.And i bet that it wont dissapoint you.

gautam_dey66

Error 404
@ OP

I would suggest u to go for either of the two.

APC 600 VA UPS @ 1.7K
APC 800 VA UPS @ 2.8K

Yes a 600va would do the job but if u are ready to spend a a few more bucks then to be on teh safe side go for the 800va.And i bet that it wont dissapoint you.

Absolutely correct spending more for the first time is better than spending again and again.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Dear friends. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Sorry i did not reply sooner. I will surely consider the 800VA UPS.

Just one more query. I have a GM spike guard. So should I connect the spike guard first to the electric supply and then the UPS to the spike guard or the other way? Does it actually help the way it should be connected?

Thanks!

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@iPlay i am still to buy one

When I am searching for APC 800VA. The price shows up as 5.3K!!

Where would I get one for 3.1k as mentioned above?

Thanks!

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Ok, even I have the same question. Should I connect a spike guard to the mains and then connect the UPS to the spike guard? My last APC UPS died after 3 months of buying it. I am pretty sure it was some voltage problem. So, a spike guard or a voltage stabilizer?

How much backup would a 800VA UPS give?

ASUS P8Z77 M PRO
1.5 TB HDD
8 GB RAM
Dell U2312HM
Corsair Tx650
Altec Lansing 5.1 Speakers
MSI 7870

Last edited:
Top Bottom