Which simple phone under 10.5K (Nokia 6300 or 5160 ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight17

In the zone
I am looking to buy my first phone :) I have no idea about mobiles, thier OSs. So, I hope to get some tips from you guys.

My budget is Rs.10.5K
Camera : Not necessary (but all phones have it now a days)
Screen : 240 x 320 pixels (min)
FM, Music

I've considers Nokia 6300 and Nokia 5310. If you think something else suits the bill, do post it :)

So, do you have any suggestion?

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
i suggest go for the W810..awesum sound quality..comes i with brilliant bundled headphones..maga bass...its as good as you can get...

or u can try the w580 for some groovy stuff..Walkman all the way..

OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
Thanks for the quick response amd64_man2005.

Since, I have no idea about mobile phones, I consulted some of my self-professed mobile geek friends. Getting an opportunity to give a lecture he told me about the virtues of Nokia phones and great service support you get with Nokia.

Then I asked him about Sony Ericcson. He started to say that Sony Ericson phones are not very good in build quality and key pad and all the stuff worn off quickly.

Because of curiosity, I asked him again about Samsung phones. "Dude, what will you do to get an accessory? even for a simple phone cover you will have to search a hell number of stores"

I am really confused now, so what is the truth? I like to think I am wrongly informed ;) I like to have more options.

Comparison of Nokia 5310 and 6300

My brother have 6300. He says it get hot too quickly and battery drains a bit more quickly than one likes. Otherwise, I think it was a perfect phone.

Keep your suggestions coming .

Alright, I have took a look at both the phones you recommended :

- Sony Ericsson W810
- Sony Eicsson W580

W810's display is 256K colors and screen size is 176 x 220 pixels, 30 x 38 mm

W580's display is OK. But it supports only 256K colors.

They are in my consideration for their great sound quality and music support. Any other options?

Thanks for the replies, keep it coming.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
well..theyare great music phones..but if u want a camera centric phone..which offers great music..u can also try the sony ricsson k790..if nokia..then n73..

but let me tell ou something aboutt the n73..the n78 is to be aunched shorty and the n73 will be out of production..so low customer support maybe a worrying problem for the n73..

if music is your essence..consider the walkman serie phones...u can aslo check out some smbian models if you want...namely the 5700..music quality average at best..but a great symbian phone..

OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
why always SE? try the all new 3600 after all, it's Symbian!

Thanks Hari for suggesting Nokia 3600. But it is not available right now, according to GSM Arena :

Announced : 2008, April

But it appears like a nice phone, but I am afraid, it may overflow my price mark! By looking at its features, it has a 3.2 MP Camera. It is a Symbian 60 device (Which is very nice). From that I think its price will be high.

Do anyone know what price we can expect? A rough estimate will do, from my research it appears that it will sell for around 175 Euros. It comes to about ~ 11600 INR

if music is your essence..consider the walkman serie phones...u can aslo check out some smbian models if you want...namely the 5700..music quality average at best..but a great symbian phone..

It seems, I will have to settle between Nokia and SE. Since, no one else seems to have anything good. But I am concerned about the build quality of it. Can any of you comment about the build quality of SE phones?

Another question, which have more application S60 or S40 ? I think it is S60, Am I right?

Thanks for your insightful replies.

Last edited:

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
don't go with 5310 consider buying 5700 (Symbian) and N73(Symbian,3.2 MP camera)

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
s40 is crap..consider SE phones if u dont want symbian..symbian is a mobile os like windows is to the pc...but can be a bit buggy at times..and battery backup is crap...

The build quality of SE phones is brilliant..i had my K850 floored more than 10 times..but without a scratch... :D

OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
The build quality of SE phones is brilliant..i had my K850 floored more than 10 times..but without a scratch... :D

How is the service/support and availability of parts for SE ? And which do have more applications, Sony Ericsson or S60 ?

..symbian is a mobile os like windows is to the pc...but can be a bit buggy at times..and battery backup is crap...

OK, OK.. I know it, I am not that n00b:grin::cool:

SE is also running on Symbian, right? But I think they are not connected with each other. How is the application support for SE.

From what I have looked, Nokia seems to have high quality stuff. SE don't have phones with 16 M colours in that range, while Nokia has many.

Video is not my main motto, but it won't hurt. That's why I am looking for 16 M Colours.

^^Yes, of course S60 is much better

Yeah, S60 is better :

- S40 vs S60 : Big Fight, 2007
- S40 vs S60, which is better

Thanks again for your responses, please do post if you have something insightful.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say to get SE K790i + HPM70....Awesome camera + good music.......

K790i has a 3.2mp camera with Xenon flash......

girish.g

respect mah authoritah!!
exactly, k790i is the best.
@gagandeep
you forgot about autofocus,image stabilisation &best pic

check pics from my phone in the sticky thread

Last edited:
OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
I would say to get SE K790i + HPM70....Awesome camera + good music.......

K790i has a 3.2mp camera with Xenon flash......

exactly, k790i is the best.
@gagandeep
you forgot about autofocus,image stabilisation &best pic

check pics from my phone in the sticky thread

Sony Ericsson K790 seems like a nice phone and reviews rate it high also. But how is it's display, it is only 256K.

Thanks for your suggestions. Do any one of you have any other serious contenders? :confused:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sony Ericsson K790 seems like a nice phone and reviews rate it high also. But how is it's display, it is only 256K.

Thanks for your suggestions. Do any one of you have any other serious contenders? :confused:
One thing seriously I would like to ask is that......Can your eyes differentiate between the colours of a 65K and a 256K....or 256K and a 16m display???

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^^compare the k770 and any nokia phone with 16m colors side by side..u will know then..lol...btw..the 6300 has a brilliant screen..even better than the n-serie phones combned together..

OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
Well, I think we can see the difference when playing the videos. I've to admit, I am new to this and may be I am dragging on something irrelavent. I'll do my search and will post back :)

One thing seriously I would like to ask is that......Can your eyes differentiate between the colours of a 65K and a 256K....or 256K and a 16m display???

Thanks for your patience ;-)

But it heats quickly and battery drains quickly. Other than that, it is fine

^^^compare the k770 and any nokia phone with 16m colors side by side..u will know then..lol...btw..the 6300 has a brilliant screen..even better than the n-serie phones combned together..

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
check out any mobile site..u will see that SE and samsung mobiles have superior display when compared to that of nokia...display is not determined by the number of colors...but the technology used behind the implementation of th display...and u cant differentiate these colors on a 2.4 inch screen sorry...

its hard to differentiate on a 19 inch lcd screen..2.4 is a long walk back..

Hrithan2020

In the zone

+1..
@knight17,
I dont understand ur reason for wanting 16M colour model only.Why do u think even the priciest SE phone has only a 256 K colour? I personally feel its the pixels that count.Any good SE phone with 240x320 resolution ought to look good.Since a good camera is not one of u r requirement u can safely leave out k-790 though it should be said that k-790+hpm 70(another 1K atleast) would provide good sound quality.Does speaker quality mean much to you?
About the application support,nowadays there are a lot of java programs with support for SE phones.The problem with S40 is that it doesnt support .sisx files which leaves u with support for .jar and the main problem with S60 is that the user interface feels slow.(sort of a vista for phones,heh heh).It is true that with Symbian S60v 3 phones,u can applications such as antivirus(no use really) which can access the phones at a deeper level.

w-810 i is overall a v.good phone but the biggest problem for u would be the lower display quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom