Which simple phone under 10.5K (Nokia 6300 or 5160 ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
check out any mobile site..u will see that SE and samsung mobiles have superior display when compared to that of nokia...display is not determined by the number of colors...but the technology used behind the implementation of th display...and u cant differentiate these colors on a 2.4 inch screen sorry...

its hard to differentiate on a 19 inch lcd screen..2.4 is a long walk back..

+1..
@knight17,
I dont understand ur reason for wanting 16M colour model only.Why do u think even the priciest SE phone has only a 256 K colour? I personally feel its the pixels that count.Any good SE phone with 240x320 resolution ought to look good.Since a good camera is not one of u r requirement u can safely leave out k-790 though it should be said that k-790+hpm 70(another 1K atleast) would provide good sound quality.Does speaker quality mean much to you?

I don't have any problem with accepting that I am wrong.

But in this case, I understand I an wrong. Here is what I got :

- Difference Between 256K colors and 16M colors?
- New SE phones lack of 16M colour screen

Here is why I **was** wrong :

mynameis_kaz said:
The mathematical difference is 15,744,000 the Nokia N95's screen can only show 76,800 at a time, as can the 6131. Funnily enough, its the same for the K790, however the latter has squeezed the screen size down to 2 inches, resulting in a colour saturated image that is clean and crisp. Yes there's a difference, but will you really notice it?

Take a look here Checker Shadow experiment and tell me you see the same shade of grey in squares A and B

The above post is from mobile review forum. [Slightly edited, link modified to cache]

razec said:
According to some researches i've done, a human eye could discern up to 6 millions of colours only, so any color depth higher than that could never been discernable. AFAIK color depths typically increases brightness thats the reason why nokia's 16m displays are very vibrant, although K800's display has proven it's excellent vibrance even in 262K colors. (see mobile-review's S40 vs A100 test)

From esato

OK. Another possible improvement may be a bit more energy conservation, so I may be able to get a little more battery life.

Last edited:

Hrithan2020

In the zone
So,mixed opinions huh.In the end,its up to u to decide to find that perfect(so to speak) balance b/w music & video quality,display quality,application support,battery life,build quality & price.

OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
So,mixed opinions huh.In the end,its up to u to decide to find that perfect(so to speak) balance b/w music & video quality,display quality,application support & price.

Man, I've admitted that I am wrong.

The queries regarding application support was generic, I was just curios about it. I've told in the beginning my story. I am not aware of the market, phones and software.

I know now, that I was wrong about the colours. So it is no longer in my list. Pleas don't get angry with me for being specific, I am just being inquisitive.

If you've any other suggestions, keep it coming :)

Last edited:
OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
I've updated the original post. Here it is :-

My budget is Rs.10.5K
Camera : Not necessary (but all phones have it now a days)
Screen : 240 x 320 pixels (min)
FM, Music player

OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
i mean..can u be a bit more specific about it??..are u an audiophile??wat wud u use the phone for and stuff??

Yeah, I like to hear music, but it need not be of primary importance, more good the better and I will send/receive lots of text messages. The camera part is also not much interest for me. I believe I will also use the PIM/Organizer feature of the phone extensively. I want also something with a good speakerphone (Alarm)

No, I am not looking for a business/PDA phone.

Post anything you think fit, brands doesn't matter.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
well...then i guess u can try the 5700...good display..symbian phone..average cam and music..but will do...and best of all..has an awesum keypad..that should do the trick...

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
i have recently bought the K790i for 9.5k, and i must say its worth every rupee. SE always have had this crisp and no non-sense UI, which gets ur job done w/o any hassle. I bundled it with HPM-70 headfones, and man..this is one rocking combo. add to that a 2gb M2 card for about 1100/- buks extra, u dont need to look back.

As for apps, i dont have much of an idea, u can get most of them from getjar.com(paid or otherwise). but do get hold of the softy named MyPhoneExplorer, if u get an SE fone

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Man, I've admitted that I am wrong.
I know now, that I was wrong about the colours. So it is no longer in my list. Pleas don't get angry with me for being specific, I am just being inquisitive.

I'm afraid that u misunderstood me,I wasnt getting angry or anything like that.I was referring to the links which u had pasted b4 in which the ppl had a mixed opinion abt the 256 K display with some ppl saying that 16 M was definitely better and differernce could be seen on a 2" inch screen too.
I hope its cleared up.So,i was just saying in the end its ur decision.

5700 is a good option(as suggested by amd64_man2005);decent cam and music playback.

Last edited:
OP
knight17

knight17

In the zone
Now it seems to me that K790i is available for Rs.9675. But the memmory card format used by SE is not common, I think it is proprietary.

I've looked for a microSD to Memory Stick Pro Duo converter. It is available for ~$7. Unfortunately not in India, at least to my knowledge. Do anyone know anything like that.

eBay.com offers shipping to Asia(India), but I am not sure how much will be the shipping charges?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Don't even think of 6300. Pure crap.

1) Worst battery
2) Gets very hot

3) Pathetic signal reception
4) Poor loudspeaker
5) Bad camera
6) below average musicquality

Look at these:

1) Nokia 5700
2) SE W580i