Which OS to go for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
If you want out of the box approach (java,flash,movies,mp3s) then go for Mint but if you dont mind downloading stuffs then Mandriva/openSUSE for sure.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
After some time Compiz becomes more of a pain than a must have. I seriously fail this logic where distro creators are adapting to the Eye candy is king approach.

Mandriva is a good choice but I've found some folks asking some weird questions about Software installation Management on it. Haven't tried SuSe as Much as I would have wanted to so can;t comment there.

The reason I said Mint is because of its default contents and it doesn't look bad at all. It saves you quite a bit of work you would have to do on Ubuntu or any of the other distros. Another Distro you could consider is Sabayon.

Now if you are also into the habit of experimenting and doing insane experiments then yes you could try Arch Linux on those configurations. As long as you follow the Beginner Guide Word to Word you should be absolutely fine. Although I wouldn't recommend it, its definitely one of the fastest ways to learn a bit more in Linux.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
I have personally tried DreamLinux n' Zenwalk on my p3 1ghz 256MB ram n 16MB ati gfx.
Both work well........Though I wll recommend Zenwalk!

W

whackyman

antix for debian style package management(which is a necessity!)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
get Ubuntu (you will understand some linux)

Mandriva is dumb, though it has good hardware compatibility. But the point of using linux is to learn it too. OpenSUSE 11 KDE4 is buggy, so dont install it unless u wish to upgrade KDE 4 after install. Fedora 9 is somewhat unusual this time.

Ubuntu IMO is best for newbie who like to learn few things too.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Personally I still think you should go for MInt , but thats my Opinion and I haven't used Mint alot anyway. Just install one of the recommended ones here and you could always change :D .

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
any linux os supports GMA X3000. Get the xorg.conf file from me if you find it difficult ;)

Mine is too DG965RY :D

Am using Ubuntu and Arch now. Have used Debian, Mandriva 2008, OpenSUSE 11, Fedora 9 etc.

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
damn bsnl
dieing every 5-10 mins since yeterday:x

only 37% done since yesterday 8pm.
(IDM d/lin @60KBps :|)

logged in here at 12.45 & dataone went dead b4 posting this.:|

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
just 40% done:x
damn u bsnl, burn in hell:x

dataone dead since sat. evening:x

now i'm not at home, hav com to chennai:x

time to d/l zenwalk:D

arupch

Tech Addict
I'm pretty satisfied with OpenSuse 11 - not KDE 4 though - with KDE 3.5.9
Try it u'll like it. Installing and managing softwares through Yast rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom