Which Multimedia Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@sarincv See the FAQ sticky in the Open Source section. I have a thread running there for people like you

@madjeri
don't worry about internet and packages, just go through the FAQ sticky in the open source section, I have packages for both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE there

@Ironmanforever
Oh..I see :D
Maybe all my studies of Physical Chemistry has gone too much into my head. Seeing common properties everywhere now :rolleyes:

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
damn..

guys so what are u recommending in the end...... ubuntu???

@nuclues

what faq section man??

i took a test and this was the answer..

Quiz results

Operatings systems that fit your criteria the best seem to be (in the correct order):

1. Mandriva Linux
2. openSUSE
3. Fedora
4. Ubuntu Linux
5. Xandros Desktop OS

and from another test

We found the following perfect match(es):

Kubuntu
Homepage: *www.kubuntu.org/
Screenshots: The Coding Studio
Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.

(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)

Mandriva
Homepage: *www.mandrivalinux.org/
Mandriva Linux (formerly known as Mandrake Linux) was created in 1998 with the goal of making Linux easier to use for everyone. Mandriva offers all the power and stability of Linux to both individuals and professional users in an easy-to-use and pleasant environment.

(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)

OpenSuSE
Homepage: *www.opensuse.org/
The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy access to the world's most usable Linux distribution, SUSE Linux. OpenSUSE delivers everything that Linux developers and enthusiasts need to get started with Linux. Hosted at opensuse.org, the project features easy access to builds and releases. It also offers extensive community development programs for open access to the development process used to create SUSE Linux.

Ubuntu
Homepage: *www.ubuntulinux.org/
Ubuntu is a free, open source operating system that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release. Ubuntu ships with the latest Gnome release as well as a selection of server and desktop software that makes for a comfortable desktop experience off a single installation CD.

now say which to go please

and anyone please refer this too.. :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=972571&postcount=203

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
For Multimedia, I tried Fedora 9, Ubuntu 8.04 and openSUSE 11. I found Ubuntu better among the three.

It's like everything working right out of the box.

But you do need internet connection to make it work the way it has to!!!

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
No mint....

i have decided to go a triple boot XP..Vista..ubuntu(latest one i can get)+myth tv..

enuff.

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
I started downlaoding linux mint.. it was 699 MB...in the beginning... but it stopped download at 105 MB iso. without any error. what size is that?

oh..i have a 5 MBps connection so its done pretty fast...

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
..leased line its office connection..

i think its vsnl... i think.. but most are blocked like RS..torrents....ftp...

torrents are not.. but its not worth the risk to try it.. :(

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Then go with Mandriva .. Rest are not for you , Mint and all are ubuntu derevative so better try Ubuntu and Mandriva :)

Look no further than Ubuntu. After installing Vanilla Ubuntu, install the ubuntu studio set. That would make an awssome multimedia linux with extreme ease of use for newbies, and with loads of eye candy.

/me currently using Ubuntu studio :D (nothing special, jus original Ubuntu+ apps for audio video grafical editting, still worth the download though :wink: )

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
i found this link....
*cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/8.04.1/release/

is it the correct one..???

so it can be used over the ubuntu....i mean first install ubuntu..then the studio???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom