Which mobile to buy- N8 or E7 or HTC Desire HD

Deepaks

Broken In
I am confused in N8,E7,htc desire HD to buy. I want HD phone that should be good for internet browsing and have large screen and have office docs viewer and pdf reader too. Which is well suited to my requirement

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
E7 would suit your requirement well among those three. Desire HD is a pathetic phone. if you want a droid, get desire s or se xperia arc or wait for samsung galaxy II. n8 is more of camera and music phone than a business class device. Other devices you can check are HTC HD7(poor battery life but overall a good phone) and mozart.

TSPatange_1309

Tech Freak Digitian.
HTC Desire HD-
Its very Good Camera phone (Android 2.2 Gingerbread ready) with good performance all the way but it has low battery life and tiny loud speaker.Resolution is good too (4.3/480x800). Documents viewer & PDF reader available.

Nokia N8-
The N8 is very solid phone with great battery life & very Nice keypad. Also include very Good signal quality. if you are looking for well-rounded device with good internet browsing,N8 will satisfy you. Good with Documents viewer & PDF reader.

Nokia E7-
Nokia E7 is very Awesome business Smartphone with too friendly too best internet browsing. QWERTY too and very best. If you want to fulfill your all requirements Go with Nokia E7

Thank You!

harm064

Broken In
Well I have the E7 and I have used the N8 before that. E7 suits your requirements perfectly. More over, you can edit documents and view pdfs out of the box with both. E7 has a bigger screen. And the QWERTY slide out is top notch with regards to build quality.

These are some of the sample pictures captured from my Nokia E7
*i.imgur.com/0Bm7K.jpg
*i.imgur.com/0Bm7K.jpg

These are raw files, meaning not touched or cropped or anything.

Also a sample video captured from the phone. YouTube - 07042011

chintan786

In the zone
E7 is good phone but the problem is Symbian... it is dying OS.. and after 1 year down the line there will be no updates for the same. also processor is 600 Mhz and at this price point it is underpowered.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
How on this mother earth is it a pathetic phone.............. back up your claim and then comment, .... and yes don't say battery back up coz thats a lame accusation ..... its not as good as others but definitely in the lines of all high end 4"+ screen phone. the only thing I can think off as a disadvantage for this phone is its tiny speaker (rightly and sensibly pointed out by TSPatange) which in all senses is really bad, apart from that the phone rocks in all departments, butter smooth, awesome Sense UI, amazing 720p recording. Loads n Loads of features and yes Android 2.2 pretty soon upgradable to Gingerbread.

"Pathetic Phone ... " gotta be kidding me ... :-x

Yes, Desire HD is a Pathetic Phone because it has pathetic 1200 mHa battery. Coupled with that huge screen, the phone doesn't last half a day. And that makes it unusable for any stretch of time.

If HTC is smart enough to make a good phone, they should also be smart enough to provide enough juice to run the device...

@OP, I suggest you look at HTC Desire S and Incredible S. These are great phones, and beat Nokias hands down...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Yes I knew one would be coming back with the same lame reason of battery, I am using HD and it lasts easily a day with moderate use ....... and if you search all 4"+ smartphones do not last more than a day on moderate use, does not make a phone pathetic .....

1. poor audio quality
2. CFL backlit LCD on a high end smartphonein the year 2011?
3. 1200mAh battery for a phone whose display consumes power as if it just ended hunger strike?
4. just average camera quality
5. boring looks taken from phones released about a year ago.

compare it to phones like sgs, D:S, se arc, n8, e7 and its a super dud and pathetic.

you shouldve consulted us before buying this piece of overpriced crap. and btw, my phones battery lasts a month on standby. :)

OP
D

Deepaks

Broken In
^^ Yes I knew one would be coming back with the same lame reason of battery, I am using HD and it lasts easily a day with moderate use ....... and if you search all 4"+ smartphones do not last more than a day on moderate use, does not make a phone pathetic .....
Should I wait for Samsung S II and HTC sensation.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1. poor audio quality ................... In your dreams ..lol ... provide me one article that states HD has poor sound quality

gsmarena: We aren't particularly impressed with the HTC Desire HD audio output. When you plug it in an active external amplifier (such as your home or car stereo) it does pretty decently, save for the below average intermodulation distortion. It may not be perfect but it certainly is good enough on those occasions.
Yet plugging in a pair of headphones, the stereo crosstalk skyrockets and it's almost as bad as if you had a mono device - much like with Optimus 7. The intermodulation distortion increases even further and the handset is not particularly loud too. All in all a mediocre performance and we really expect much better for that kind of cash.

engadget:HTC has added Dolby and SRS sound options for video playback, and while they generate tangibly different ouputs -- SRS makes the actors sound like they're breathing into their webcam mic and Dolby adds an extra layer of bass to proceedings, whether necessary or not -- our conclusion was that they were just poor in different ways. As ever, using the speaker on your phone for anything more than call and messaging alerts seems an ill-advised idea here.

I have tried HTC HD7 too and it suffers from same problem. While the un-enhanced audio quality is too weak, enabling Dolby or SRS kills the audio quality and gives too much of bass. If you still think that D:HD audio quality is top notch, please do try phones like SGS and Xperia series and ipod touch and cowons etc and you will understand what I meant by "good audio quality".

2. CFL backlit LCD on a high end smartphonein the year 2011? .............................BIG Deal compare it to any S LCD and its at par

NO. it is NOT at par. again, it is no match to newer OLED displays. Even a S:LCD is much better and the newer OLED and IPS panels literally destroys this old fashioned LCD display.

3. 1200mAh battery for a phone whose display consumes power as if it just ended hunger strike? ..................................Yea same lame statement

WHAT? lame statement?

4. just average camera quality ..................................lolzzzzzz HAHA lolzzz ... again provide me one article that states HD has an avg camera ....

again, check how good the camera is on phones like SE Arc, N8 and we will talk again. Any damn phone (even a micromax) can take great picture in perfect light conditions.

engadget: Firstly, let's get the boilerplate warning out of the way that low light will not be a friend to your photographing experience with this phone. Harsh noise and chromatic aberration will invade your pictures if you turn down the lights too low, while focusing also takes a predictable hit and you often end up with some slight image blur as a result.

gsmarena:Our Desire HD unit (an off-the-shelf phone) did have an obvious lens issue, which smudges the left side of the photos. This issue aside, the amount of captured detail is decent and the noise reduction algorithms are well-tuned but there are some visible artifacts resulting from the aggressive sharpening stage (oversharpened noise).
Even without the lens issues, the Desire HD camera wouldn’t rank among the top 8MP Android shooters (or 8MP cameras in general).

Phonearena: As far as standalone performance of the camera, it's unfortunately a mixed bag. Focusing is a bit of an issue, with shots out of focus roughly 10% of the time. Colour reproduction is on the whole okay, however inconsistent. While some shots, such as that of the post box produce a decent level of saturation, others look dull, and others washed out. Detail isn't too bad at all in well lit environments, however, any night shots don't even need to be zoomed into to notice the crackle. Exposure is also very inconsistent. The camera interface allows for touch to focus, which also controls what we presume to be spot metering, and there is an exposure bar which can be adjusted, however, in automatic, we found that the HTC Desire HD got it wrong more often than we would have hoped.

trustedreviews: Results from the camera are par for the course in so much as they can offer up a fair amount of detail and accurate colours in well (and evenly) lit situations but shots in dark environments are very noisy and overall sharpness is nothing compared to even a basic compact camera. The twin LED flash certainly helps in close quarters but we'd still like to see more phones use proper Xenon flashes.

5. boring looks taken from phones released about a year ago................................ yea boring looks for you alright........

Desire, D:HD, D:S, Evo, Wildfire, Wildfire:S, HD7 etc etc. all these are based on a similar shell. do have a look at Arc, E7, SGSII, LG Optimus 2X and you will understand why I said 'boring'.

cheezzz consulted you .... lolz who are you ..???

But looking at the comparision you gave "D:S, se arc, n8, e7" .... lolzzz I can see where you are coming from.......

Looking at your comments in this post, it seems that you are one of those who would go to any length to defend their purchase.

Yea a cheap macromax or some ZEN mobile can give a month battery life .......does not state a thing ....

dude. who is talking about zen or whatever. It is a well known FACT that these HTCs suck real bad at battery life. Atleast they learnt from their mistake and are releasing their newer devices with better and bigger batteries.

PS: if you don't know yet, HTC phones excel at UI, stability, pre-installed apps, build quality but every single phone suck at multimedia performance (camea, audio, video). Period!

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I used E7 for week really gr8 working with 3G , iam using Nokia C7 same like but big screen for Internet & much user friendly !

If u r not an android fan just get Nokia E7

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Final decision from my side = E7

If you want a cutting edge phone that you can be adventurous with=
LG Optimus 2x

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Symbian is dead. Go for an android handset. At present, the best single core phone in the market is the SE Arc followed by the Incredible S. If you can wait a month or so, the Xperia pro with a physical qwerty, 8 mp exmor r, bravia display and a 1500mah battery would be available. Btw Desire HD is a piece of *undisclosed material*.
And if you do want to get a dual core phone but arent scared to rummage through the kernals and load custom roms, the optimus 2x should suffice. Mind you, in its stock state its a piece worse than the desire HD.

abhidev

Human Spambot
@desiibond : nice !!!!!!

@sam : HTC do have a pathetic battery life....and its not a lame statement.:)

@OP : before buying any symbian phone do consider HTC, Samsung and SE android phones...running on gingerbread and also have a good supply of apps and games.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Looks like I'm a little late to this thread :p

As always the usual LCD vs S-LCD fight eih?? So How good/bad is the LCD unit on DHD??
YouTube - ‪HTC Desire Vs Desire HD - Screen Test Comparison‬‏

HTC Desire HD LCD vs HTC Incredible S S-LCD Screens Magnified

Regarding the battery life, it depends on the ROM you are using, it might end up pretty bad(3-4hrs) to average(10-12hrs) with normal usage. On certain Gingerbread ROM's standby time is really good, ofcourse with minimal usage ;)

*img856.imageshack.us/img856/7813/snap20110518231734.jpg

Having said that battery life has been the Achilles heel in most of the droids these days, Samsung is a notch better in this aspect with good battery life on the Galaxy & Galaxy SL, and I don't understand why would anyone go with a smaller battery on a 4" plus screen based mobile as HTC did with DHD.

DHD is a powerful phone agreed, but it's got too many chinks in its armor. If I were to spend my 25K, I'll look else where.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Its IS lame coz that has been shouted upon again and again, and people like you and desibong take this already stated drawback add it with stupid fictitious loop holes and use it to portray their own opinion to a phone that has been critically acclaimed to be the best smart phone along with SGS every where ....... so there is nothing nice about it unless you prove and provide articles to support .......

which is what I will do now to cut the long story short .....

Let me google that for you

Pick any 5 articles from the result including the youtube and you will have HTC Desire or HD somewhere in the list ....... PERIOD!

Dear Sir. We are halfway into 2011 and you still stuck in 2010. When D:HD was released, there hardly was a phone in India that could compete with it in India (except SGS and the Desire). There are lot more phones now. I can even do this: Let me google that for you and go Gaaaaaa Gaaaaaaa Gaaaaa that SE P990i is the best smartphone on earth. And here is the megaLOL. none of the links in the first page of your 2010 search listed D:HD. That's right. NONE!

Coming back to battery life, I, fortunately had first hand experience of battery life of many smartphones and HTCs monster phones are clearly among the worst, be it Desire (yes, unless you install custom ROM, this one also has poor battery life) or HD2 or HD7. Unlike you, am not acting like a HTC fanboy. And if you think that we saying poor battery life on D:HD is fictitious, what about this: htc desire HD poor battery life - Google Search

When you asked for articles that provide same info on D:HD issues, I gave enough articles, so how come these are fictitious? Is it just because you are not ready to accept the truth?

Also, forgot to mention the lack of HDMI port which is very useful as many are having highdef TVs and monitors these days.

So, please. if you like D:HD, keep it. Don't try to rub your own extremely biased opinion on everyone. And do read other posts and you will understand that there are many here who share similar opinion.

Mark my words boy! mark my words. Even a SGS:L that cost whole 5k less is much much much better phone overall than D:HD. Period!

For your understanding, here are list of high endphones that are great smartphones in the year "2011":

1. Nokia N8 (camera)
2. SE Xperia Arc (camera, multimedia, sexy build)
3. SE Xperia Play (gaming)
4. Samsung Galaxy S (Display, ROMs, multimedia)
5. Nokia E7 (business class)
6. Desire S (UI, ROMs)
7. Incredible S (UI, ROMs)
8. Samsung Galaxy S II (The One)
9. LG Optimus 2X (powerful but needs custom ROM as stock ROM is pathetic)
10. iPhone 4
11. Nexus S

PS: We are trying to ask many to hold on to their money as the newer phones like SE Arc, D:S will become stale in few weeks time (once the dual core based smartphone have started coming into the market) and here you are......

Looks like I'm a little late to this thread :p

As always the usual LCD vs S-LCD fight eih?? So How good/bad is the LCD unit on DHD??
YouTube - ‪HTC Desire Vs Desire HD - Screen Test Comparison‬‏

Regarding the battery life, it depends on the ROM you are using, it might end up pretty bad(3-4hrs) to average(10-12hrs) with normal usage. On certain Gingerbread ROM's standby time is really good, ofcourse with minimal usage ;)

Thanks for the video da. Hope our D:HD fan is able to find the paleness that D:HD display shows when put next to Desire AMOLED.

Having said that battery life has been the Achilles heel in most of the droids these days, Samsung is a notch better in this aspect with good battery life on the Galaxy & Galaxy SL, and I don't understand why would anyone go with a smaller battery on a 4" plus screen based mobile as HTC did with DHD.

DHD is a powerful phone agreed, but it's got too many chinks in its armor. If I were to spend my 25K, I'll look else where.

yes. loading custom ROM solves battery life to an extent but that 1230mAh battery is too low even for custom ROMs and as a result one should keep internet and movie playback to a reasonable to minimal level. So, what's the use in buying such a phone. Not to forget the bugs that these custom ROMs usually have.

Top Bottom