which linux OS supports my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
could u please suggest which linux OS should i install so tat it can fulfill my needs....

i use net, play games online, chatting

download lots of stuff from net like softwares, movies,(their should also be an option for pausing and resuming download)

i use tally

i use my com for programming purpose and do projects

take printouts,

listen to music(it should play mp3,wav,wmv files)

watch movies(should support files like dat,vob,avi,bin,wmv,mpeg)

and play games like gta,most wanted, unreal tournament and i can use the OS for connecting to my other two com's.

OS by default should support different audio & video files(no need to add codecs separately)...... thanks in advance:grin:

praka123

left this forum longback
for playing wma,mp3 etc U need to configure Ur Linux system after installation as these tehcnologies are patent encumbered and their legal position in unconfirmed.
For You and most Newbies,I recommends Ubuntu GNU/Linux> *ubuntu.com
after ur installation finished look below site for configuring multimedia,java and other plugins and tips:
*ubuntuguide.org
Sincerely saying Playing Windows games is not with Linux.If u want u can try Wine or a paid version Cedega for this.
*.exe files are for MSDOS and win32's
Linux is a completely different Operating System superior to WIndows VIsta even
My request is U to read below link as u r a windows user too:
Linux is NOT windows
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
praka123 said:
for playing wma,mp3 etc U need to configure Ur Linux system after installation as these tehcnologies are patent encumbered and their legal position in unconfirmed.
For You and most Newbies,I recommends Ubuntu GNU/Linux> *ubuntu.com
after ur installation finished look below site for configuring multimedia,java and other plugins and tips:
*ubuntuguide.org
Sincerely saying Playing Windows games is not with Linux.If u want u can try Wine or a paid version Cedega for this.
*.exe files are for MSDOS and win32's
Linux is a completely different Operating System superior to WIndows VIsta even
My request is U to read below link as u r a windows user too:
Linux is NOT windows
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
i know linux is not windows, i have seen screenshots of games working on linux, i am already using fedora core 3 which is utter waste, plays nothing i just use it for programming purpose tats it... so i want something more... the best:cool:

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ read the links dude!Linux is not Windows that link explains something u may be missing
as with gaming try Cedega even with FC3 it works!
====================
Cedega

TransGaming’s Cedega brings the thrill of blockbuster video gaming to the Linux operating system. Cedega enables Linux gamers to play Windows titles on their Linux OS of choice. Triple-A video games such as Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Battlefield 2142, World of WarCraft, Madden 2007, Civilization IV and many more, can be played on Linux using Cedega. An easy, out-of-the-box gaming experience is at your fingertips. There’s no better way to play on Linux!

Cedega delivers an amazing gaming experience that matches the Windows experience from Online Play and Copy Protection to Direct3D and Pixel Shaders. Cedega provides the gaming experience along with all the Linux capabilities you have come to rely upon without having to reboot your computer to Windows to play.
Want more?

Cedega’s remarkably intuitive GUI enables Linux gamers to do things that are impossible on Windows. With one action, you can set configurations across every game you have installed. Updating, deleting, moving, and even troubleshooting of every game is accessed from a single, easy-to-use interface.

But Cedega’s advantages don’t stop there. Cedega gives gamers the flexibility of running ANY game in its own window or in full screen mode. Want to search the web while playing your favorite massively multiplayer online game? With Cedega, doing so is just a click away.

*www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&file=index&ceid=29

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
none that I know of. but if I remember right, cedega is free if you get it from cvs and compile it. Well there's wine, winex and cross office, all are actually more or less similar AFAIK but cedega has better gaming support cos of the extra work put into the gaming part by cedega team.

vish try sabayon DVD.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
i know linux is not windows, i have seen screenshots of games working on linux, i am already using fedora core 3 which is utter waste, plays nothing i just use it for programming purpose tats it... so i want something more... the best
FC3? :shock: Install FC6 or just wait for FC7 it will be out in a month I guess. Default games r just fine. For some one like me chess, sudoku r terrific!
If u want to install hifi games then there r a lotta websites for that. Just google!
Here's a thread! Check out the posts of @subratabera....he enlightens us about the gaming activity in Linux world!
Recently I played tremulous. It has fantastic graphics. But then again games like doom,unreal etc are above my head!

So if u judge by the screenshots, then see the screenshots in that thread or u my google for that too. Also checkout "beryl" environment and see its screenshots. Checkout "*ubuntuforums.org/gallery" to get a little idea of how it is now!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Just use ubuntu 7.04, you will take some time to get used to the new enviroment but it is by far the most usable Linux distro I have used.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
I think for new linux users Open Suse and Ubuntu are gud choice ! but both of these require to install packages for full multimedia support

offtopic:-- Any body of you tried GTA San Andreas on Cedega - does it work?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
* Graphics displayed during the game's installation may be distorted, and the install process may seem to take a -very- long time
* The game's copy protection does not work, so a no-cd patch is required. There are confirmed-working patches for both editions of the game
* Using default settings, the game's framerate is quite sluggish, and many objects are missing textures - to fix this, disable vertex shaders in Cedega's configuration for the game

These were the only problems recorded on version 5.1. Current version is 6, so I guess they might have taken care of it (minor issues though)

*cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_-_San_Andreas

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
gx_saurav said:
Just use ubuntu 7.04, you will take some time to get used to the new enviroment but it is by far the most usable Linux distro I have used.

how come ubuntu has become such a great hit in no time... i never heard ubuntu half a year back :confused:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vish786 said:
how come ubuntu has become such a great hit in no time... i never heard ubuntu half a year back :confused:
Cos of it's ease of use, strong debian backend, flexibility - both new and experienced users feel at ease, great package maangement of debian, great development team, huge community, focus on user specific needs and not to forget the free CD's, which served as a great publicity tool. It became popular around a year or so back rather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom