Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters
Hey Keith Sebastian
ur signature came from movie Kiss of death right? :lol:
Man i encoded to divx movie from it's dvd file. It is a good movie. :lol:

And xvid is not that good with the players and it gives the same vedio as that of divx. Unless u specify the same size of the output file

Santosh Halemani said:
Hey Keith Sebastian
ur signature came from movie Kiss of death right? :lol:
Man i encoded to divx movie from it's dvd file. It is a good movie. :lol:

Actually I got it off the album Tease - The Beat Of Burlesque. Big fan of jazz, especially anything from Verve.

*www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?pid=11265&ob=bf&src=vmg

-k

manmay

Journeyman
hey all
i tried a few of the codecs discussed here.
n i must say that vp62 was really great and surely better than divx
but i have a few quastions?
i have noticed 1 thing that when the video is compressed using virtual dub the results r far betterthan that of the #1 dvd ripper.
while compressing the video from dvd using dvd ripper i kept the bit rate at 400kbps andthe resolution at 720x576( same as input)..the quality was not satisfactory......... also even by increasing the bitrate to 500 or 600kbps the quality of the video didnt improve much.
for this frame size what should be the ideal bitrate to achieve a video quality equivalent to dvd video?
is there a method for ripping the dvd using virtual dub. ( which i think is far better than any other)
also is vp7 better then vp62.?
i am getting fps of 5-7( approx) while convertingthe video in vp62 codec for 720x576 frame size
i am using celeron 2.8 ghz 320 mb ram
am i gettting normal performance ?
pl comment?
thanx
manmay

Biplav

In the zone
has anybody tried nero codec for psp players?
thats mp4 format.
well let me tell u this is one hell of a compression
i got a movie downloaded from the net (mpeg)which is bout 1.41 gb
and the same movie ditto quality ,evrything exactly the same at 197 MB in mp4 format!!!!
isnt that gr8?

3 movies on 1 cd??? without any viewable loss in clarity or sound???
but the problem was it didnt play on my system.
i installed ace codec and then uninstalled it and installed k_lite codec pack(full)
but all in vain.
it still didnt play.
VLC player played it though but with lost frames.(too many actually)
i got nero show time then. and it just played it smoooth and fine.
that was a big surprise for me to see the same quality in such noticiably low file size.
well
u can encode in that(mp4) format too with nero recode.
well if u are confused than this is not the mpeg(mp4)format.
its a format for playing videos in psp (play station portable )players
there is a codec though that can play mp4 files in media player.which i ofcourse found out of late(thanxs to DRgrudge),but still found nero recode much more suitable to encode and view the files.
check it out and tell me ur opinions.
heres the link to get nero recode and showtime
well if anybody is in to encoding constantly, then plz encode it in that format and tell me.
heres a guide:(acrobat format)
*www.videohelp.com/download/NeroRecode2_PSP.pdf

ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/NVE-3.1.0.11.exe

biplav said:
has anybody tried nero codec for psp players?
thats mp4 format...................
3 movies on 1 cd??? without any viewable loss in clarity or sound???
but the problem was it didnt play on my system.
i installed ace codec and then uninstalled it and installed k_lite codec pack(full)
but all in vain.
it still didnt play.
VLC player played it though but with lost frames.(too many actually)
i got nero show time then. and it just played it smoooth and fine.
that was a big surprise for me to see the same quality in such noticiably low file size.
well
u can encode in that(mp4) format too with nero recode.
well if u are confused than this is not the mpeg(mp4)format..........

Well, most probably you used Nero AVC which is a H.264 based codec. Uninstall all filter packs and use FFDShow (directshow filters) to play. BTW it plays all formats.
*www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

About PSP (I still don't have one, damn :lol:) try this instead -
*www.pspvideo9.com/

and a good article here -
*www.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404/

Cheers,
Keith

Biplav

In the zone
i have the ffd show codecs.
the mp4 movies played in media player then. but nero show time
showed better quality.
i ll try out the psp video.
btw i use xilla psp video converter.

Indyan said:
I tried vp7!
It is amazing.Simply amazing.
But i have a feq questions.
Virtualdum doesnt like AAC or Mp3 Surround(i have it installed) in the supported audio compression codecs list.Is there any way to use AAC or Mp3 surround?

avimuxGUI is what you need. Encode audio seperately and mux later. NanDub is a good option if you're using AC3, VBR Mp3 and Ogg Vorbis audio.

NOTE: AAC is not optimized to be contained within an AVI. If you want multi-channel audio you're better off with using the AC3 track as it is. Or, re-encode to a lower bitrate using BeSweet and AC3Machine.

-Keith

Indyan said:
Now i am having a few problems.
I tried ripping Lakshya.but the output was pretty pixaled.
I ripped it at 300kbps with vp7 using virtuabub at a res of 384x288

*img330.imageshack.us/img330/4443/lakshya40518324mg.jpg

Firstly - I'd stay away from VP codecs due to lack of any standard compliancy. Go with x264 instead which is free and based on MPEG4 AVC (IEEE code - H.264). Works with VDub and I'll search and provide download links to the VFW implementation if you require.

Regarding your problem - I don't see no problem as 300Kbps is borderline. Try upping the bitrate to 500 Kbps for your res. This assuming you're ripping from DVD. i.e. hollywood studio quality dvd's, not 3 movies in one disc pirated Indian discs.

Edit -

Looking at your res, I'm guessing you're using PAL VCD as source. This means the source is already pixelated. Remember video encoding's golden rule No.1 - SH1T IN SH1T OUT

Your aspect ratio is wrong. The face looks elongated. Try VirtualDub > Video > Filters > Add > Resizer > 384x216 Lanczos3

Important - Before doing this get rid of the black bars, to improve encoding efficiency.
Video > Filters > Add > Null Transform ; then hit Cropping button on Filters window and fiddle with X,Y offsets to crop black borders.

-Keith

slugger

Banned
I'm encoding my *.mpg 2 *.avi using VirtualDub using d DivX 5.2.1 Pro Codec. In d options I found certain settings whose significance i'm not aware of. I'm listing out those settings and the value dat i selected in brackets. Plz tell me wat do these settings do and wat must be their ideal value while encoding files to try and mantain VCD quality file. I use a bitrate of 350 -500 kbps depending upon d file being encoded

D settings

Psychovisual Enhancement [slow]
Source Pre-processing [Normal]
Interlacing [Progressive Source]
Encode mode [1 pass] other option dat i not tried r - Multi Pass 1st pass, Multi Pass nth pass

Also I'm encoding d audio @128kbps [avg bitrate] using d lame codec
plz comment

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Psychovisual Enhancements:

All Lossy codecs use this technique to compress video..........what it means is; since the human eyes cannot see everything and there are certain contrasts which they are weak at etc. So to achive high compression rates codec use the technique of Psychovisual Redundancy where in the codec tries to identify what the Human eye can diffrentiate & identify and what it cannot.......based on some studies in Image processing........it uses these to remove many details and use the bits gained from that to make the other things which the human eye can very well see more prominent.....

Fast means for video with predominantly fast moving images...action

Slow is for video with predominatly slow moving images ..panning scenes

Source preprocessing:

This is mainly used for Noise Reduction if ur Video is Noisy (video captured from a TV Tuner Card, VHS Tapes, etc.) It basically tries to minimize Noise by doing some Preprocessing in the Single pass mode.

Interlacing:

This is a technique used to compress video even more....as u know Video is made up of scan lines in each frame n the entire video is comprised of many of these frames being displayed one after the other.....
Some video sources are interlaced eg. DVD VOB Files

What it means is each alternate video frame will have alternate scan lines......so when video is played at around 25-30fps the human eye cannot really determine this anomally & percives the video to be smooth........

But when u transcode video & the source is interlaced & u dont de interlace the resulting video can have jaggies because the encoding app thinks teh source is progressive but it actually is interlaced........

One more thing is, many codecs give the option of De interlacing within the Codec, eg: VP70, VP62, DivX, etc. and De Interlacing Filters are also provided in Virtual Dub, #1 DVD Ripper, etc.....You can use it from anywhere...........

Multipass/ N-Pass/ 2 Pass Encoding:

This is used by the Codec to create a reference file depending on which it will create the final video...........It helps the codec identify teh distribution of teh bitrate along the length of the video.......

For eg: If u specify a bitrate of 700kbps, does not mean each and every frame will be 700 Kilo Bits.......Some frames which require less like still scenes, panning etc. will require less, but action scenes withs blasts, car chases etc, will require more............So the encoder will distribute the bits according to its findings made in the previous passes, so the final result is more accurate...........

Lame @ 128 is good............but Id suggest using DivX WMA @ 64kbps...it gives the same quality.........

One More suggestion..........for DivX & XviD encoding use Auto GK, unless u wanna use the various Filters of VD......cos AGK allows u to use VBR Lame MP3.........

slugger

Banned
I've been facing a bit of a problem with Virtual Dub. While encoding a file 2 divX format, Virtual Dub selects the file to be encoded till that portion where pixellation starts, even if the pixellation is for only 30-40 seconds. The subsequent portion of the video is not made available for encoding. How can i make Virtual Dub selcet the subsequent portion of the file for encoding

Dipen01

Youngling
maverickrohan said:
Otherwise use AGK

How do u change the settings in Auto Gk..coz the other day..i converted a file recorded by me thru TV in Mpeg 2 format...i was as big as like..37 MB for 2 min so when i converted it converted to 16 MB...which isnt that effective.... so i was in doubt to how do i change the setting so as to compress it fair enough..

Any ideas on which settings should i use.. to get the optimal Compression and Quality both...(Source is from TV as i said...)

slugger

Banned
i try 2 use DivX WMA Audio 2 compression standard for compressing d audio @ 64kbps stereo 44KHz, i'm unable to hear d sound. can anybody please tell me wat 2 do.

Keith Sebastian said:
Important - Before doing this get rid of the black bars, to improve encoding efficiency.
Video > Filters > Add > Null Transform ; then hit Cropping button on Filters window and fiddle with X,Y offsets to crop black borders.

-Keith
i tried doing dat and cropped all d black bar along d Y-axes but in d process of encoding the file d one dat used d filter had a bigger file size than d one dat did not, all other settings remaining same. so is it very efficient??
*img219.imageshack.us/img219/2346/nulltransform7mo.gif

runeet

Broken In
Hey I hav many low res misscelleneous videos which i would like to make high res is there any particular encoding software coz i tried dr div x but it did not work

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
runeet said:
Hey I hav many low res misscelleneous videos which i would like to make high res is there any particular encoding software coz i tried dr div x but it did not work

Thats not possilbe all

even though you can do it easily with almost any software
.. but there is no use
.. bcoz it will be just zooming the video

:arrow: The quality will not increase.

Top Bottom