which destro is well suited for study perpose .....mean learning a linux system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I started my linux life with Ubuntu, and now am trying other Ubuntu derivatives. But for theory stuff or educational as metioned, I tried Redhat materials with Fedora installed.

vamsi360

Always confused
CentOS is for more advanced users as said by many similar to Windows Server 2008 targetting at severs,professionals who are into networking.etc.

CentOS too is from Redhat i think.You can upgrade to Fedora9 from an older version of CentOS as I did some months back

Last edited:
CentOS is for more advanced users as said by many similar to Windows Server 2008 targetting at severs,professionals who are into networking.etc.

CentOS too is from Redhat i think.You can upgrade to Fedora9 from an older version of CentOS as I did some months back
centos is not advanced. its just a highly stable well tested OS, hence used by professionals and the industry. most popular in webhosting cos because it runs cpanel.

its quite simple to use actually.

redhat was da 1st distro to offer enterprise grade solutions in india, and indians being indians, stick to their culture and use redhat most widely

edit: its not from red hat, its just a clone. infact, redhat sued it so it can't mention redhat at all in its CD or website. they refer to redhat as north american upstream vendor :lol:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
hey guys...here is a newbie asking for a linux distro for learning, and here v r talking abt CentOS. I think nobody started with dat as their first linux OS:rolleyes:

j_h

Banned
Install and Use Ubuntu first. After you use it for some time and are comfortable with it, you can migrate to any other distro. Its no big deal. IMHO you should have ubuntu as your first distro. Getting help for ubuntu is very easy. Most of the guides in the web are for ubuntu. So, its better to start with ubuntu. Then after a few months when you have that feeling of want to know more then go for redhat or fedora or suse. After few months of fedora and installing half a dozen more distros you will have another feeling of wanting to go further. Then install Arch Linux. A few years after that you will start compiling your own kernel and maybe start your own distro. At that time dont forget to mail me a copy of your distro :D.

vamsi360

Always confused
centos is not advanced. its just a highly stable well tested OS, hence used by professionals and the industry. most popular in webhosting cos because it runs cpanel.

redhat was da 1st distro to offer enterprise grade solutions in india, and indians being indians, stick to their culture and use redhat most widely

edit: its not from red hat, its just a clone. infact, redhat sued it so it can't mention redhat at all in its CD or website. they refer to redhat as north american upstream vendor :lol:

but how come one upgrade to fedora from centOS. I said i think but not confirmed it. But redhat is really stable and the support offered is also good. It is used in our Lab as a server OS but our college website server uses Windows Server 2003:rolleyes:

vamsi360

Always confused

but how come one upgrade to fedora from centOS. I said i think but not confirmed it. But redhat is really stable and the support offered is also good. It is used in our Lab as a server OS but our college website server uses Windows Server 2003:rolleyes:

User Name

In the zone
I am also looking to install ubuntu 8.10
first i want to install it on laptop but with HDD issue i decided to install on desktop.
I want install by using "install inside windows" option.
but in that it is written that "hibernation mode is not enabled"
what is this means? i can't use win XP's hibernation mode?

*img68.imageshack.us/img68/6299/ubuntuus6.th.jpg

j_h

Banned
I am also looking to install ubuntu 8.10
first i want to install it on laptop but with HDD issue i decided to install on desktop.
I want install by using "install inside windows" option.
but in that it is written that "hibernation mode is not enabled"
what is this means? i can't use win XP's hibernation mode?

*img68.imageshack.us/img68/6299/ubuntuus6.th.jpg

You can hibernate in XP but Ubuntu's hibernation is disabled ;)

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
OMG really great replies ......thanks all of u dear .Specially vamsi360,MetalheadGautham,j_h,QwertyManiac.

Install and Use Ubuntu first. After you use it for some time and are comfortable with it, you can migrate to any other distro. Its no big deal. IMHO you should have ubuntu as your first distro. Getting help for ubuntu is very easy. Most of the guides in the web are for ubuntu. So, its better to start with ubuntu. Then after a few months when you have that feeling of want to know more then go for redhat or fedora or suse. After few months of fedora and installing half a dozen more distros you will have another feeling of wanting to go further. Then install Arch Linux. A few years after that you will start compiling your own kernel and maybe start your own distro. At that time dont forget to mail me a copy of your distro .
I do that budy first assign me ur email id......ha ha ....!!!

I have installed ubuntu .......my first linux destro .....i m really happy...........!!!!! I want i go this same time a another linux ....which may be fedora.....??

Atlast some of the destros i never heard of it .....it is hard to analyse them ....!!!!

vinayasurya

Journeyman
This is my Linux learning curve . Redhat 8 ( Destroyed a Hard drive on intial install ) -> Mandrake Linux ( Now Mandriva ) -> Suse 9 -> Fedora -> Ubuntu -> Debian.

For me Mandrake ( Mandriva ) was the simplest to learn , followed by suse. And for support Ubuntu I feel is best. Ubuntu forums are like real tech support you will get immediate solutions to your problems.

After a while you won't feel much difference b/w distros

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
This is my Linux learning curve . Redhat 8 ( Destroyed a Hard drive on intial install ) -> Mandrake Linux ( Now Mandriva ) -> Suse 9 -> Fedora -> Ubuntu -> Debian.

For me Mandrake ( Mandriva ) was the simplest to learn , followed by suse. And for support Ubuntu I feel is best. Ubuntu forums are like real tech support you will get immediate solutions to your problems.

After a while you won't feel much difference b/w distros

I m prociding for fedora 10 .......i think ubuntu have less programming capability or i m not
able to use them .Thanks for assigning me my word mistake.

vamsi360

Always confused
I m prociding for fedora 10 .......i think ubuntu have less programming capability or i m not
able to use them .Thanks for assigning me my word mistake.

Why with in a short time are you changing a distro?
Ubuntu is a good distro and has a package management system which is the best in the present world followed closely by redhat's new package kit.
I suggest you use Ubuntu for some time so that you get used to linuxing.

for programming stuff........launch package manager and then click add CD-ROM and then keep your Ubuntu DVD in the drive and mark gcc,g++ and then install them.That's it! then as I told to you in the other thread follow the procedure to compile.

My advice..stick with one distro (I suggest Linux Mint or Ubuntu ) and then use it and when you get something advanced then you move on to fedora...

vinayasurya

Journeyman
I agree with vamsi360. If you have an always on internet connection it is better to stick to ubuntu at this point of time. Otherwise you may like Fedora because you don't have to downlaod every now and then.

I agree with vamsi360. If you have an always on internet connection it is better to stick to ubuntu at this point of time. Otherwise you may like Fedora because you don't have to download every now and then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom