which destro is well suited for study perpose .....mean learning a linux system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
Learn one at a time. As for software, ALL distros have same set of software available.
I suggest keeping ubuntu for some time longer and then getting fedora next year after a few months.

Keeping two distros on same PC at a time would also kill your internet connection. Lots to download if you want to keep both updated.

Linux Mint is best said as Ubuntu for the casual user. Don't consider it now that you installed Ubuntu. Its pointless now to install it. You would learn much faster with ubuntu.

And OpenBSD is not linux. Its a BSD. Definitely not recommended at this stage. You have a long way to go before you can find OpenBSD comfortable to use. First learn linux.

Most collages are now teaching linux instead of unix and most unix commands work on linux. However, if you are one of the unlucky few who need to learn using UNIX, the only 100% unix compatible OS which is free to use is Sun Microsystems' Solaris OS. Its not too hard to use BTW.

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential mysql-server mysql-client eclipse netbeans python bluefish
I may have missed some, but you just need to use search function in synaptic package manager.

Code:
sudo apt-get install [B]kompozer[/B]
You would love it, because its the best freeware html editor available for ANY OS. It may not be a DreamWeaver, but its definitely usable enough for newbies. And its FREE.

Really thanks for reply??
BTW is netbeans good option for a newbie??

NetBeans is the thing most training institutes use. Everyone learns from it. Its an industry standard.
But Eclipse is lighter (can't confirm) and its the one used by Google Android SDK.

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
NetBeans is the thing most training institutes use. Everyone learns from it. Its an industry standard.
But Eclipse is lighter (can't confirm) and its the one used by Google Android SDK.

what u suggest i have to start with netbeans........really!! .....i think not??

vamsi360

Always confused
One of the basic things everyone needs to learn is how to compile your own kernel. Its actually much much easier than it sounds. You basically need to scroll between hundreds of options and choose add, discard or modulize. I recommend modulizing whenever possible and if some feature is SERIOUSLY USELESS then discard it. You get to optimise the kernel for several things, like support for upto 16GB RAM on 32bit OS, no. of cores, etc. Then compile using a ready-made script.

Quite a simple job, but pisses the crap out of you and needs HUGE amount of PATIENCE to read all those descriptions.

Luckily, you get to do the configuring in parts, and for a guy who lacks patience, it may take a whole week of 1 hour long sittings. But if you are a real gandhi, you can do it in a single sitting. Experts don't need to READ the descriptions so it takes them only a few minutes.

Before that, you need to set your cflags right.

Have you written your own kernel? Which kernel have you compiled? Unix or Linux?
What? You won't share it and deprive users of VINUX(vamsi-nux after unix and linux)
We have to add hardware support to kernel which is very very difficult to genaralize the code to support all hardware so I thought if I have decided to write it, it would be for my own device.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
We have to add hardware support to kernel which is very very difficult to genaralize the code to support all hardware so I thought if I have decided to write it, it would be for my own device.

Initially, even linux was created to work on a specific hardware profile only.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^what I meant was that such guys can ONLY use such distros. OFC mandriva or ubuntu is not stupid. Quite easy to use, but does not really TEACH you 'bout linux. He wants to LEARN, not just USE. If USE, then mandy or ubu would be the perfect since you can get going in 30 minutes.

Maybe if you are looking for say...RHCE or want a Linux related job, since in India RedHat is equivalent to Linux. However Learning for fun, newbie or not, Ubuntu or any distro for that matter would do the job.

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
Maybe if you are looking for say...RHCE or want a Linux related job, since in India RedHat is equivalent to Linux. However Learning for fun, newbie or not, Ubuntu or any distro for that matter would do the job.

Talking about .....
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)

u think.....there is good career options behind linux??:p

drsubhadip

In the zone
i ve used ubuntu for 1 yr almost...
still using ubuntu hardy 8.04,with kubuntu 8.04..
do not chnnge it to 8.10 as i ve only 256 mb ddr ram..
my system is running very fine..i ve xp along with it..but now a days i rarely use it..
i ve also tried mandriva,opensuse,fedora9.pclinux07,.
after all trying..in my system pclinux is very fast..
but it is old so i changed it to ubuntu..in 256 mb ram i do not have any problem with my type of works(light and casual)
in my experience all distros r almost same with little difference here and there..
in computing purpose ubuntu is good,...same as open suse and mandriva and fedora..
it is the personal taste which guide all of us to settle in any one distro..
try any one distro first ..learn the little linux..learn how to get out of trouble..
then go for linux voygage...try out more and more and more linux distros..
and please ..i want a good linux distro from our country..tech person please come up with something great..
i ll wait for indyalinux.......

Wish granted (^_^)

If you want to try out an Indian made Linux distro for Engineering students

check out

E-Swecha

Its a project initiated by Free Software Movement in India

I hear that its very easy to use ......

drsubhadip

In the zone
Wish granted (^_^)

If you want to try out an Indian made Linux distro for Engineering students

check out

E-Swecha

Its a project initiated by Free Software Movement in India

I hear that its very easy to use ......

thanks..
but it is not present in distrowatch...
i have used BOSS LINUX..
it is good..
but not support my computer very well so i m not using it
any way thanks

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@drsubhadip, Ibex works on 256 MB, and donn't use KDE if you are low on resources, XFCE is a better option

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
thanks..
but it is not present in distrowatch...
any way thanks
try these links..........
*eswecha.swecha.org/downloads/eswecha-beta01.iso
*eswecha.swecha.org/downloads/eSwecha_beta02.iso

but it is more than 1 gb ....:sad:..can someone assign me some indian made DSL.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I haven't read all the posts in this thread. If its not mentioned before then try BeleniX.

Its Indian and its small.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Re: which distro is well suited for study purpose .....mean learning a linux system.

lol ....it is more than 600 mb download ..... is it small? i want DSL??

What is DSL? Damn Small Linux? I don't know what is your compulsion but 600MB is not big. A CD is 750MB, a pendrive is atleast 1GB. Did you try QNX? Its an RTOS. It was a free OS, I tried it as a hobbyist. I am not sure if its free now. Its def. not for studying though.
Other Linux(es) that you may try:
a. Feather Linux
b. Puppy Linux
c. Mini Linux
d. DeLi Linux
e. Slax Linux (Only 128 MB!)
f. SliTaz Linuz (25 MB w/ sound and GUI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom