which destro is well suited for study perpose .....mean learning a linux system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambika

learnhardy
which distro is well suited for study purpose .....mean learning a linux system.

I am new to linux technology .Please someone describe me a distro which i need for learning this technology.Which distro is best for learning purpose?

Last edited:

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Newbie : Ubuntu or Mandriva or Ubuntu Derivative..
Mid End : Fedora or openSUSE
Full Blown User : Arch Linux or Slackware :p

If you are free try Gentoo :p

paroh

Padawan
Red hat or suse or fedora or ubuntu are good.

If u want a easy way of entertainment with work go for ubuntu as ubuntu automatically download the require file to play the video or audio. U don't require much efforts for running the video or audio file in ubuntu. In all other flavours of linux u need to install the codec and supported file manually some time it become difficult to install the codec etc.

Note->u require internet to use this feature of ubuntu

Last edited:

j_h

Banned
Just go for ubuntu. it has got the largest community support so you can get answers to your queries very soon. Dont forget to register at the ubuntu forums though :)

Ubuntu/OpenSUSE is great for beginners. Then again, you'll have to decide how far are you willing to go to learn the "ins" and "outs" of Linux :)

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
So many options......which one i go guys......

ubuntu is the best ........??

Why books take REDHAT ??

Last edited:

j_h

Banned
So many options......which one i go guys......

ubuntu is the best ........??

Why books take REDHAT ??

Yes, Ubuntu is the best if you want to learn and you are a newbie. One of the main reason is because it has got the largest and the most active community in the linux fraternity. You can get solutions to your queries very quickly in ubuntu forums. Lets face it, if you are a newbie you will have problems with a lot of minor stuffs.
So go for ubuntu. Also, ubuntu is based on debian so you get a very large collection of softwares available in the repo. Once you get used to apt-get or aptitude, you will not want to look back. I have been using linux since Red Hat 9 [Thaks to the (I forgot the month ,2003) Digit Issue that gave out redhat 9 with installation guide. :D ] and I find deb packages in ubuntu the easiest to install. So trust me on this and go for ubuntu for your first linux experience. PM me two years from now to tell me your experiences :D

There are books for Ubuntu as well but since Red Hat Bible is published by Mcgraw Hill (??) it is readily available in India from Tata Mcgraw Hill (??) . Thats why when you talk books you mean the Redhat bible or the one on Fedora.

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Ubuntu for the better.
If you are stuck in an end less sea issues by any change, then you will get easy help for ubuntu.
Its also pretty and easy to make look pretty and v.easy to use.

vamsi360

Always confused
If you have broadband---->Ubuntu or OpenSuse

If for programming------->Fedora with KDE with all the packages(but dont panic at the start)

If no broadband----------->Mint / PCLinuxOS

Ubuntu for the better.
If you are stuck in an end less sea issues by any change, then you will get easy help for ubuntu.
Its also pretty and easy to make look pretty and v.easy to use.

and you also get all tips and software for ubuntu in all te magazines including Digit:)

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
If its to go with educational material, the closest conforming one would be Fedora.
What he said.

Fedora is a terrific learner's distro not just on an enthusiast's level but to step up into networking and administrative procedures.

If the requirement is just getting to know Linux and using it to check the frills and mostly automated routines, you can check Ubuntu or Mandriva.

vamsi360

Always confused
What he said.

Fedora is a terrific learner's distro not just on an enthusiast's level but to step up into networking and administrative procedures.

If the requirement is just getting to know Linux and using it to check the frills and mostly automated routines, you can check Ubuntu or Mandriva.

can you please give an article on "Inside Fedora" in Digit?:)

If you are a pre-existing power user in windows and like to have something highly flexible in linux, start learning with fedora and migrate to archlinux.

If you want light use and have users with IQ less than 80 who use the rig, I suggest Ubuntu or Mandriva.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Ubuntu is the way to go for learning purposes. In our college Server is being run on RHEL5(administered by urs truly), Computer labs run Ubuntu 8.10 whilst I.T labs have CentOS, all having Win XP as secondary option. We were taught in Red Hat, demoed in Fedora and practised in Ubuntu.

^^what I meant was that such guys can ONLY use such distros. OFC mandriva or ubuntu is not stupid. Quite easy to use, but does not really TEACH you 'bout linux. He wants to LEARN, not just USE. If USE, then mandy or ubu would be the perfect since you can get going in 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom