Which are the greatest software ever made and why

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
so this The Greatest Works of Software

it identifies the greatest as

Microsoft Office: How do we communicate about work?
Photoshop: How do we create and manipulate images?
Pac-Man: How do we play?
Unix: How do we connect abstractions together to solve problems?
Emacs: How do we write programs that control computers?

my argument stems from this one line

For all that people discuss teaching kids to code, or how the Web gives people a voice, Microsoft Office is the most empowering software in the world.

sure. but the listed are not the most empowering in the world.

I would say the most empowering in the world are

java - allows anyone to code for anything

webgl - allows anyone to code interactive 3d graphics for web browsers without a plugin

twitter - its the idea here, a microblogging service for anything, not necessarily just people. the next step for the web itself is an internet of things, and this is very likely to work on automated status updates, similar to toilet seat, safes and bakers owen's tweets. everything connected gives brief and regular status updates at large, for any use.

cryptocurrency

LOIC - the power for the collective to get any corporation or government on their knees for any reason. supplemented by twitter.

IRC

torrents

so. yeah, these might be a very broad definition of software, but hey, if it is not hardware, it's got to be software. what are your opinions? which are the greatest software? the most empowering?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I know you are a coder or something, I am not, you lots can call me an idiot, and to me the best software is IDM :lol:

And comes in second is the one which can recovers data from formatted, re-formatted, re-re-formatted hard drives :D

geekvishal

Right off the assembly line
I know you are a coder or something, I am not, you lots can call me an idiot, and to me the best software is IDM :lol:

And comes in second is the one which can recovers data from formatted, re-formatted, re-re-formatted hard drives :D

Can you name the software which recovers the data from re- reformatted hard disk drives?

Recuva or other tools in digit dvd

The greatest software will be lan driver (dont know wether software), without it no internet!!

And other will be the operating system itself(it aint software but still...)

R2K

In the Zone
Photoshop
I can't imagine how tedious and time consuming my work would have been without photoshop. Anyone working in graphics, photography or imaging industry would understand what I'm talking about :D

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Greatest software ever is probably the OS itself.. Id say Windows for me, because Linux cannot run games natively, and Mac is well..mac
Without OS, we'd still be in the dark age of command line computing

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Greatest software ever is probably the OS itself.. Id say Windows for me, because Linux cannot run games natively, and Mac is well..mac

DOS is also an OS ... it doesnt have a GUI but a command line interface .

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Recuva or other tools in digit dvd

The greatest software will be lan driver (dont know wether software), without it no internet!!

And other will be the operating system itself(it aint software but still...)

it is.. OS is the system software unlike the others which are application softwares.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

:+1: with this. CLI is OK but it's not everyone's cup of coffee.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Visual studio.

Took development to new standards, with such ease and flexibility and everything under one hood. Best IDE ever.

Then Steam, bittorrent.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Microsoft Office....

Name a job that involves a computer and you'll find MS Office there.
Inevitable and invincible.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
if we consider anything out of metal a "software" then java, RDBMS, OS...wait almost every piece of code out there is great! someone wrote it, thought something genuine that no other did when the first version came out. So that's great.

Top Bottom