Which Anti-Virus/I.S. to go for?

TheLetterD

Will Power
Okay so recently I used an old External HDD on my PC. The last time I used this one (160GB, Lacie) I was using WinXP on my PC(Yep, that old), and I found a Virus called Win 32:Kackucha. Did a bit of googling, wild-arse virus.

So a quick question (that MAY be followed up with another one)

Q. Which AntiVirus/Internet Security should I go for? (Budget: Rs. 500)

Currently I have Avast (Free) installed.
Just found this on Flipkart: Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 1 PC 1 Year - Buy Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 1 PC 1 Year Online at Best Prices in India - Kaspersky | Flipkart.com

Kasersky 2013 Internet Security for Rs. 440 . (OOOOH And does this also include an AntiVirus?)
Looks good and cheap. ALTHOUGH I read the Bitdefender is awesome AND 'ico' from this Forum told me that Avira is the best.

Now I need a Good anti-virus and a good firewall cuz my Younger brother, too, uses this computer, and he keeps messing around, installing random softwares(no Malware yet, but dont wanna take a risk) from shady websites.

Now another question:
Q. Im not sure why but this happened thrice now, everytime I run a Fullscan Avast my PC reboots at some point, AFTER scanning my C: drive. Windows says it was a "Bluescreen" issue.

My PC is relatively new, Corsair CX430 PSU, Good Corsair Vengeance RAM, ASUS Motherboard(F2A85-MLE) and an AMD A10 Proc. but my HDD is a bit old (Seagate 500Gigs, mfd. in 2010), could it just be that my CPU overheated or did my HDD .... idk... Fail? ( :noob: )
OR did that HDD virus infect my PC before I could (supposedly) get rid of it from my PC with Avast?

Anyways, thanks in advance. :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
bitdefender internet security is very good. go ahead with it and continue here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/138653-antivirus-guide-user-reviews.html

Vignesh B

Youngling
You know what, there is no best internet security solution. Most of these major solutions like Kaspersky, bit-defender, norton etc are pretty good.
Do a comparison check of price to feature ratio and determine what feature-set you need, and what you don't.
Yes, internet security contains antivirus.

Now let me come to my personal thought - A paid internet security solution is not needed in a home setup.
1. A quick check in AVComparitives, AV-Test.org shows the free AVs are almost in the same range as that of paid AVs.
2. WIndows firewall is quite capable. Period. Go into Firewall with Advanced security, you'll be surprised. ANother thing, outbound firewall is meaningless. Once the malware is there, its as simple as adding a rule in the firewall.
3. Common sense is the best defense!

Free solutions that I like - Avast, Avira, MSE, AVG

Last edited:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Okay so recently I used an old External HDD on my PC. The last time I used this one (160GB, Lacie) I was using WinXP on my PC(Yep, that old), and I found a Virus called Win 32:Kackucha. Did a bit of googling, wild-arse virus.

So a quick question (that MAY be followed up with another one)

Q. Which AntiVirus/Internet Security should I go for? (Budget: Rs. 500)

Currently I have Avast (Free) installed.
Just found this on Flipkart: Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 1 PC 1 Year - Buy Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 1 PC 1 Year Online at Best Prices in India - Kaspersky | Flipkart.com

Kasersky 2013 Internet Security for Rs. 440 . (OOOOH And does this also include an AntiVirus?)
Looks good and cheap. ALTHOUGH I read the Bitdefender is awesome AND 'ico' from this Forum told me that Avira is the best.

Now I need a Good anti-virus and a good firewall cuz my Younger brother, too, uses this computer, and he keeps messing around, installing random softwares(no Malware yet, but dont wanna take a risk) from shady websites.

Now another question:
Q. Im not sure why but this happened thrice now, everytime I run a Fullscan Avast my PC reboots at some point, AFTER scanning my C: drive. Windows says it was a "Bluescreen" issue.

My PC is relatively new, Corsair CX430 PSU, Good Corsair Vengeance RAM, ASUS Motherboard(F2A85-MLE) and an AMD A10 Proc. but my HDD is a bit old (Seagate 500Gigs, mfd. in 2010), could it just be that my CPU overheated or did my HDD .... idk... Fail? ( :noob: )
OR did that HDD virus infect my PC before I could (supposedly) get rid of it from my PC with Avast?

Anyways, thanks in advance. :)

Any Paid Internet Suite(Complete Commercial SECURITY Package) always contains an anti-virus program/tool,which is mandatory.

I myself am using Avira(FREE) anti-virus.

Very Good solution which caters to your daily (Home Front/Home basis personal)needs. ico has given you a wise suggestion.

You can also use AVG,Avast!,Bitdefender,Panda,etc.many FREE anti-virus packages/tools according to your choices.

Why go for paid ones,when the FREE packages takes care of your software?

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
No need to get the paid anti-virus... Get these-
MSE
Commodo Firewall
Avast Free..

deep34

Right off the assembly line
Eset NOD32 Antivirus is the best. Been using from last 4 years and it is very good, reliable, very light on system.

Eset NOD32 Antivirus Version 5 1 PC 1 Year | Flipkart.com

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
ALTHOUGH I read the Bitdefender is awesome AND 'ico' from this Forum told me that Avira is the best.

u read it right Bitdefender is superb...KIS is resource hog.
and Avira is best free antivirus :cool:

Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 1 PC 1 Year - Buy Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 1 PC 1 Year Online at Best Prices in India - Bitdefender | Flipkart.com

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avira AntiVirus is the best among free AntiVirus software. I can testify because lots of viruses float around in friends' laptops in my hostel. Avira never misses. Avast has failed on us in many machines.

If buying, then buy Eset NOD32 or BitDefender or Kaspersky (bloat) suites.

Hardly anybody needs anything more than Avira though.

Never buy McAfee. It's rubbish.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah. Norton is still okay these days. But if you'll ever see McAfee in a system which is used frequently, then that system surely has a virus.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
yeah. Norton is still okay these days. But if you'll ever see McAfee in a system which is used frequently, then that system surely has a virus.
I agree
my previous office has McAfee installed and we saw lots of worms/viruses in server machines :-x

ratul

█████████████████
Avira AntiVirus is the best among free AntiVirus software. I can testify because lots of viruses float around in friends' laptops in my hostel. Avira never misses. Avast has failed on us in many machines.

If buying, then buy Eset NOD32 or BitDefender or Kaspersky (bloat) suites.

Hardly anybody needs anything more than Avira though.

Never buy McAfee. It's rubbish.

+1 to that, though avira has a very high false positive rate..
for avast, i still don't understand how it managed to gather such a large crowd, my college pc's are full of viruses using avast, my junior past week came to my place, gave his pen drive, which was FULL (more than 300mb size of recycler folder, filled with virus exe's) of viruses, asked him, he was using latest avast IS fully updated, which shows his system clean.. :|
Never saw a virus coming from someone using Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Eset, everytime clean Recycler/System Volume folder, nothing suspicious in autorun.inf, and never disappointed me.. :p
Though i'd still say that choice of AV/IS totally depends on how you use your system..

Top Bottom