Which Anti-Virus/I.S. to go for?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
3-5 years on Avast and totally safe.
Might be the time to shift to Avira now if you prefer free AntiVirus.

I don't like what Avast has done with their latest version. Added bloat. A stupid "software updater" which keeps telling you about outdated software in your system. eg, VLC, Firefox etc.

+1 to that, though avira has a very high false positive rate..
for avast, i still don't understand how it managed to gather such a large crowd, my college pc's are full of viruses using avast, my junior past week came to my place, gave his pen drive, which was FULL (more than 300mb size of recycler folder, filled with virus exe's) of viruses, asked him, he was using latest avast IS fully updated, which shows his system clean.. :|
Never saw a virus coming from someone using Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Eset, everytime clean Recycler/System Volume folder, nothing suspicious in autorun.inf, and never disappointed me.. :p
Though i'd still say that choice of AV/IS totally depends on how you use your system..
Avast was fine a couple of years back. Only this year it has gone bonkers. Dunno why.

My all-time favourite has been NOD32. It was legendary back in the days of v2.7. Then my license expired and I can't afford an anti-virus now.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I can vouch for Kaspersky Internet security.. It is THE best paid internet security i have seen so far.. I tried bitdefender but it slowed my internet download speed and it had tonnes of features that i was never gonna use (not a bad thing tho)..
AFAIK, its also one of the cheapest, only Rs 310 (per user for a 3 user pack, total cost 930)

sharang.d

Youngling

I don't like what Avast has done with their latest version. Added bloat. A stupid "software updater" which keeps telling you about outdated software in your system. eg, VLC, Firefox etc.

There's the option to not install the "Software Updater" component.. which is what i have done!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Avast was fine a couple of years back. Only this year it has gone bonkers. Dunno why.

My all-time favourite has been NOD32. It was legendary back in the days of v2.7. Then my license expired and I can't afford an anti-virus now.

there's nothing wrong with Avast. Just choose custom installation and uncheck what you don't require.

Top Bottom