Where is hibernate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzair

Jumping Jack
When i click shut down from the start menu i get an old win98 style drop down list asking for standby,log off options....

My system runs win xp media centre,,,Can i get the xp style just three buttons upon clicking shut down??

Is it possible?Also when i try to enable Hibernate..I get an error saying "Application in use cannot enable hibernate"
What do i do???

goobimama

 Macboy
Try right clicking your desktop and in the "themes" tab, select Windows XP. This should apply the default theme to it.

If that doesn't work, press the Windows Key + Pause/Break key to bring up the system preferences. In that select Advanced > Performance > Settings. Select settings for best appearance...

For the hibernate thing, try quitting applications from the system tray one at a time and hibernate. After trying all those, then go to the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and quite some exe's from the processes as well and try hibernating. Do this one at a time to weed out the problem.

Hope I was of some use...

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
This may be mostly a conflict with one of your drivers softwares.
Can you provide a screenshot of the processes running or HijackThis's log?

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Ya why not. Follow these steps.
1. Right click on the task bar and select properties.
2. Make sure that the selected tab is start menu
3. Over here select the start menu radio button
4. Click ok
Bingo. You got your XP style start menu.

You might need to enable the hiberbnate option. Follow these steps
1. Right click on desktop and select properties
2. Select the screen saver tab
3. Click on the power button (right hand bottom)
4. Select the hibernate tab
5. Check the enable hibernation tick box.
6. click ok followed by ok

Now click start > turn off computer. Hold shift u shud see the hibernate option.
Press H or shift+enter to hibernate.

If u cant see the hibernate option, u will need to install ur display drivers

47shailesh

Security Exp
Hey If None of these work i think i guessed wat is wrong...
Go to control pannel click user accounts...
On left pane find something like User account home (actually i m posting while working on Fedora so can't precisely tell you wat are the exact words but try to syncro)

On right pane you will get "Change the way users log on or off"

Do the following:

enable this option
Code:
1.To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box. 
A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

Uncheck this one
Code:
2.To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box. 
The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

And you are done...

OP
uzair

uzair

Jumping Jack
the windows xp style shutdown dialog appeared.. but the hibernate option doesn't work...

UPON ENABLING hIBERNATE IN THE POWER OPTIONS i get a dialog stating...

This process is in use by some other application....Cannot Enable hibernate... what do i do???

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
Hey Go To Your Desktop Right Click On It, Properties, Screensaver Then Power And Then On Hibernate Click On Enable Hibernate Option

OP
uzair

uzair

Jumping Jack
kushagra_krates@yahoo.com said:
Hey Go To Your Desktop Right Click On It, Properties, Screensaver Then Power And Then On Hibernate Click On Enable Hibernate Option

Hello
thats wat i said even when i do this i get
"it's in use by some other process cannot enable"

??

abhijangda

Padawan
Hey friend go to task manager and end every application running and using the file. Usaully antiviruses or antispywares cause this problem. Then go to power options and enable hibernate. You should select windows xp theme to get windows xp style.

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
try seeing if the running servies for any new/unwanted service is running try stopping all the service except the bare necessary ones

also try doing to check if u system files are intact
run>command>sfc /scannow (note that u need to keep the windows cd in the drive so as to restore the orginal files )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom