what to buy PS3 or xbox 360

My choice...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
note : this is not a reply to anybodies prev post.. this is just wht i found...
enjoy..

The XBOX TOPPING 1TERAFLOP AND THE PS3 TOPPING A WHOPPING 2 TERAFLOPS, NOW THAT IS INEED POWER TO BE SPOKEN OF. PS3 ineed more powerful and capable nearly 2wice the rice!

Don't Believe me check this out : *hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_image

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^ :D see the image u posted.xbox is more clearer and bright while that PS3 image is looking dull
and those are different places-post something thats exactly same to compare both

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
If I were asked the same question with the adequate amount of money I would definetly go for a PS3.Hands down.With so many cases of Xbox 360 having RRoD's in such a short amount of time within it's purchase is not something which I want to risk with my hard earned money.This,if you ask me,is a major gripe.With such high hardware failure rate I would relatively require a fairly reliable console.Barring that,I'd say many of the 360 games usually make it to PC albeit with some delay but yeah fair enough I get to play them at the end of the day is what matters to me.Whereas,we know how stringent Sony is with it's oh-so exclusive titles list & that which comes from first party Sony developers.That is something which I can't afford to miss out on.

For those who say games titles aren't shaping up for Sony then better dig your heads deeper into google & you'll get a host of title line up which we have for PS3 this year.The titles are slowly making their way into Mumbai markets & we have shops like Alfa which provide a huge range of PS3 titles now.Their rates are a bit of concern though as the last I checked nothing was below 2.4k.Not sure how it is now.

Blu-Ray is an advantage.But let's face it how many are actually going to buy atleast 10 Blu-Ray movie titles.I'm sure I won't.Not that much atleast.One would do just for the heck of it but the pricing is way too much for a movie.A price drop would perhaps be wise.

PSN is a free service which you can avail.I know Xbox Live might be the best thing out there but PSN is definetly making it's mark too.What more could you ask for in a free service?

Many said that the PS3 had gone very costly at one point but now it's matching the Xbox 360 premium pricing which makes it an equally competitive console at the moment.

Backwards compatibility for 60 & 80GB versions.Need I say more? ;)

These are some of the reasons compelling me to buy a PS3.Not that 360 is not a preference but with the RRoD situation being so widespread I would recommend a PS3 for now.:)

@MetalHeadGautam: What the hell are you talking about?

Care to back up those statements with any solid facts?

Dude, those are pretty heavy claims that he was making. You don't go around spouting facts like that if you are not sure about the validity of them. That too in a thread where some one is asking your guidance to base his near 20k investment on! There is got to be some accountability if you ask me.

Sheesh!
kk made a few mistakes. but the following still hold true:

theoritically its possible to emulate xbox on ps but not vice versa

ps3 natively allows and even unoffitially encourages install of 3rd party oses that it has approved(yellow dog linux)

ps3 is more future proof due to better hardware

bluray mostly will win, meaning ps3 is better choice than xb360

sry 4 inconvenience due 2 misunderstanding

OP
T

thepirateboy

Broken In
so till now PS3 is winning but i have only 20k and i asked sony world and they said the price of 60 Gigs model is 29k and that of 40 gigs is 25k(both are a bit expansive for me)...so i think i would be going for x-box...can you now tell me which model to go for like the Hdd in premium model is of any use in India or not and where is it better than the core model....thanks you all for your replies...really appreciate them

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
@Zeeshan, that's the most lamest comparison I've ever seen! What happened? you couldn't post any high end games which show the ps3 is better? lol..

I Posted the pics from the Gamespot Graphics Comparison .

You have just posted Random screenshots from different games . while te Gamespot guys have carefully taken both pics at the same timing and place and angle to compare both of them .

Just see the last set of your screenshots , the first pic is of a day game whereas the second pic of a night game , how can this comparison be a correct comparison .

Xbox has a hardware thats simple enough to emulate in a processor like Q6600 in the near future.

But PS3 hardware is insane. Go for the PS3, and install an OS(like ubuntu) in it. Then it can even play PC games like GTA(through wine), Urban Terror, Counter Strike: Source(through wine), etc and when an Xbox 360 emulator is released, you can run it within the OS that you installed in the PS3.

PS3 is the most future proof of the two.
Dude ven the PS2 and Xbox console emulators currently are in a miserable state what makes you think that the Next-Gen consoles can be emulated .

You can't even play a PS2 game with >30FPS even on current hardware(C2D 8600GT) because of the difference in architectures of both the systems and the relative inefficiency of the emulators.

MetalheadGautham said:
ps3 is more future proof due to better hardware
Dude care to support that .

Al those people talking bout Teraflops power , well that is only the Theoretical power .

Like i said the PS3 is optimized for "Streaming Floating Point " operations and roughly 0.5% of all gaming operations are Floating Point . That's for the CPU .

And as for the GPU , the Xbox 360 GPU is much better than the PS3's .

The Cell Processor which is touted as the Advantage of the PS3 is only the CPU , whereas the PS3's GPU , The Emotion Engine still uses the old conventional Fixed Vertex and Pixel Shaders.

The reatest Advantage , Developers can program for the Xbox 360 n then make the same game run on a PC with zero or minimal code changes due to the Inherent design of the Xbox 360 SDK .

so till now PS3 is winning but i have only 20k and i asked sony world and they said the price of 60 Gigs model is 29k and that of 40 gigs is 25k(both are a bit expansive for me)...so i think i would be going for x-box...can you now tell me which model to go for like the Hdd in premium model is of any use in India or not and where is it better than the core model....thanks you all for your replies...really appreciate them
I'd recommend you go for the Premium Model as You'll be able to Download the demos of the Latest games for free n play em if you have a HDD . Also , some games take quite a lot of space for saves(>50MB) so a HDD is the best bet .

Last edited:

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
I'd recommend you go for the Premium Model as You'll be able to Download the demos of the Latest games for free n play em if you have a HDD . Also , some games take quite a lot of space for saves(>50MB) so a HDD is the best bet .

+1
adding these features to a core model would almost cost the same

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Poll Added.

I don't understand the point why users create threads when there are already several threads and polls open on the same issue where the things said are nothing but being repeated.

For example, another one with a poll which died:
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74188

I Posted the pics from the Gamespot Graphics Comparison .

You have just posted Random screenshots from different games . while te Gamespot guys have carefully taken both pics at the same timing and place and angle to compare both of them .

Just see the last set of your screenshots , the first pic is of a day game whereas the second pic of a night game , how can this comparison be a correct comparison .

Dude ven the PS2 and Xbox console emulators currently are in a miserable state what makes you think that the Next-Gen consoles can be emulated .

You can't even play a PS2 game with >30FPS even on current hardware(C2D 8600GT) because of the difference in architectures of both the systems and the relative inefficiency of the emulators.

Dude care to support that .

Al those people talking bout Teraflops power , well that is only the Theoretical power .

Like i said the PS3 is optimized for "Streaming Floating Point " operations and roughly 0.5% of all gaming operations are Floating Point . That's for the CPU .

And as for the GPU , the Xbox 360 GPU is much better than the PS3's .

The Cell Processor which is touted as the Advantage of the PS3 is only the CPU , whereas the PS3's GPU , The Emotion Engine still uses the old conventional Fixed Vertex and Pixel Shaders.

The reatest Advantage , Developers can program for the Xbox 360 n then make the same game run on a PC with zero or minimal code changes due to the Inherent design of the Xbox 360 SDK .

1. power is still power. it does have uses. you can encode video at high speeds on a PS3

2. the emulators are NOT in a miserable state. my friend with P4 3.06 GHz, 2 GB ram and 7800GTX 512 mb can comfortably run the emulators at high FPS. Which emulator are you using ?

3. everyone knows that Xbox 360 programming was meant to be similar to that of M$WV. But that means that sooner or later all Xbox 360 games will come out on PC, which won't happen in the case of a PS3.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
2. the emulators are NOT in a miserable state. my friend with P4 3.06 GHz, 2 GB ram and 7800GTX 512 mb can comfortably run the emulators at high FPS. Which emulator are you using ?
lolz . A PS2 costs 5K , your friend's setup costs atleast 5 times as much . Go figure .

3. everyone knows that Xbox 360 programming was meant to be similar to that of M$WV. But that means that sooner or later all Xbox 360 games will come out on PC, which won't happen in the case of a PS3.
Which is why companies will support Xbox 360 because they can target two platforms with the production cost of One . Whereas for the PS3 they'll have to spend the same amount of time and money programming from the scratch .

As for the SDK part , just try and write a 3D game in XNA(or DirectX) which xbox uses and OpenGL which PS3 uses . You'll know what i mean .

*creators.xna.com/

And besides why should developers learn a new technology from scratch when they can apply their current skills to Develop Games for a platform,

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
just another reason i would select PS3

since bluray has alomst won the format war its safe bet to go for PS3....

A: Watching videos

The PS3 is a multimedia powerhouse. You can watch videos on it downloaded from the PlayStation Store, the internet, or from removable media. The PS3 can play MP4, AVI, MPEG, and other major formats. Watch videos by going to the Video section of the XMB, and select your video. In System Software 2.10, you can watch DivX videos, however the PS3 cannot play copright protected videos and cannot play DivX videos over 2GB.

The following types of videos can be played:

Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX
WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

2B: Playing music

The PS3 can play music! You can play music downloaded from the net, the PS Store, and removable media. TO play music, navigate to the Music section of the XMB, and press X on the song to listen to it. The following types of music can be played:

ATRAC
MP3
MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
WAVE (.wav)
WMA

2C: Viewing pictures

You can view pictures downloaded or from removable media. To view a picture, go to the Photo section of the XMB, and press X on a photo to view it. These pictures can be viewed:

JPEG
TIFF
BMP
GIF
PNG

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Q. Aside from gaming, what sort of multimedia capabilities does the system offer?
A. Xbox 360 offers a wide range of multimedia features, letting you instantly stream digital media stored on your portable music player, digital camera, Windows® PC running Media Center, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP-based PC directly to your Xbox 360. Xbox 360 is the best way to:
  • Enjoy music: Play all music from any of the popular CD music formats (CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-Extra), store up to 15,000 songs on the 20GB hard drive, and stream the music stored on your PC and portable music players.
  • Browse images: Plug in your digital camera, portable storage device, or PC and instantly access your latest and greatest shots.
  • Experience high-definition: Stream high-def movies and TV directly from your Media Center PC. (they forgot to mention Zune here)
  • Mix your media: Listen to your own music while you play games. Create a slideshow to your own songs and share it with friends via the best TV and speakers in the house. Or bring down the house by experimenting with the interactive visualizers built into every Xbox 360.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
lolz . A PS2 costs 5K , your friend's setup costs atleast 5 times as much . Go figure .

Which is why companies will support Xbox 360 because they can target two platforms with the production cost of One . Whereas for the PS3 they'll have to spend the same amount of time and money programming from the scratch .

As for the SDK part , just try and write a 3D game in XNA(or DirectX) which xbox uses and OpenGL which PS3 uses . You'll know what i mean .

*creators.xna.com/

And besides why should developers learn a new technology from scratch when they can apply their current skills to Develop Games for a platform,

zeeshan..what u saying is 100% true...

but u have to accept the fact that..PS3 is actually by far a superior machine...trust me when i say that... its by a real great sure of certainity...

i own a ps2 xbox ps3 x360....and i am no fanboy either....

each machine have their own abilities...and all u people quoting links and numbers are wasting time....

actually a owning game console comes down to money,user friendliness, games and most importantly gameplay itself...nothing else.....

i bought my 360 and ps3 at the same day...heheheh....u know why because i ahve frnds like u who r biased to 360....and frnd who r biased to ps3....i was forced to take 2 of them with me too....hehhe

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
PS3.

Here's a shoot-out :

Power : The PS3 wins out on sheer processing power. The only reason X360 games may look slighlty better now is because the PS3 versions are ports of the X360, and there are bound to be issues. Once devs start harnessing the full potential of the PS3, it will blow the X360 out of the water.

Media : Your pick. The X360 can be an MCE while the PS3 can be bloody awesome blu-ray player. In my Opinion, the blu-ray player is far more important.

Games : Whether you like it or hate it, Sony will eventually get the best titles. History will most certainly repeat itself. But this will take time and patience. The X360 has some kick-ass games right now though. The price is not going to be a factor as blu-ray has won, and the prices will soon begin to nosedive. Therefore, your pick. Do you just want some good games now, or would you rather wait for a steady flow of good games. Keep in mind that eventually, all x360 games are going to make it to PC. Look at GOW and LP_EC. Also, what Zeeshan said is right. The X360 games are much simpler to develop. But eventually, the game devs will have to adapt, because there will be too many PS3 gamers to be pissing off with bad ports. Case in point, Crysis. Due only for PS3.

Stability : PS3. Enough Said.

Online Play : Naturally, the X360. But honestly, do you really have a fast enough connection? And are there really enough servers in India that will provide you with a decent ping? If yes, then the X360 wins here.

Extra features : I had to mention the fact that the PS3 can have a Linux installed, din't I?

finally, @ madjeri, you have both??!!

zeeshan..what u saying is 100% true...

but u have to accept the fact that..PS3 is actually by far a superior machine...trust me when i say that... its by a real great sure of certainity...

i own a ps2 xbox ps3 x360....and i am no fanboy either....

each machine have their own abilities...and all u people quoting links and numbers are wasting time....

actually a owning game console comes down to money,user friendliness, games and most importantly gameplay itself...nothing else.....

i bought my 360 and ps3 at the same day...heheheh....u know why because i ahve frnds like u who r biased to 360....and frnd who r biased to ps3....i was forced to take 2 of them with me too....hehhe
how much do you earn ?

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
PS3.

finally, @ madjeri, you have both??!!

@ring_wrath...i told u..if i would have selected from one of those....the other gang would have definetely kept me out of their life..hehheheh....

and i working so i could afford both of them.....so i went ahead got a pro and a 60GB....hehehhe.......gods grace.....and when i saw ppl braggin abt whose best..all i can do is laugh....

but lets see who has the last laugh....for that i am sayin atleat 2 years wait....nothin less....games...mod chips...the works...u know what i mean..

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Don't mean to be an agony aunt or anything. but you really should not let your friends control you like that.

my dear..i wish my friends would see this..they always complain that i dont give a damn abt wat they have to say.....but they are good people....
nice to hangout..as you guys are....good smart guys.....hehhe.....but this is offtopic..sorry mods.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom