What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
i would go for
fedora
OpenSuse
mandriva
ubuntu
debain
;)
or any stuff which has all hardware supports(like mehul said), along with manuals/tuto how to go about, good community, good support, frequent updates, stable releases, easily customisable, with an universal installer can support all apt, urpmi, yum, yast, synpatic and other major ones.:!:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
vish786 said:
i would go for
fedora
OpenSuse
mandriva
ubuntu
debain

or any stuff which has all hardware supports(like mehul said), along with manuals/tuto how to go about, good community, good support, frequent updates, stable releases, easily customisable, with an universal installer can support all apt, urpmi, yum, yast, synpatic and other major ones.
wait, wait, wait.....

U need this ALL in one ???

Don't think it is possible in this year !! :-(

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Ability for the user selecting one of the above can surely be a reality this year. That is if IBM takes it to their heart.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^i am optimistic.major vendors shud come out supporting Linux.OSS community dont have "wow" and marketing skills like the monopoly microsoft.if pc manufacturers "seriously" support linux-the world will change.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Yep.... I don't know why they are not promoting the products as much as MS does. OK, it's free, so Advertising might not be possible... but at least spread the word more.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^Ubuntu does! :D see!most pc users when asked about Linux answers Ubuntu :shock: while a few years back they all know Linux=redhat...time is changing 8)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Yes.. they do. And that is why more and more people are using it.

I was surprised... I constantly talk about the benefits of Linux over MS windows in front of my friends... and a few of them (4 if I am not mistaken... out of some 50) asked me to burn them some CDs.... And, just to make them feel like they are still using windows, I am suggesting PCLinux OS, Ubuntu and SuSE in that order. (Personally... I love SuSE).... So, times are changing indeed.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
same same aditya !!! :D

I also personally like SuSE. But it is resource hungry, thats why for the friends who don't have that much powerful machines, I recommend Ubuntu Ultimate bcoz it can play MP3, Videos, DVDs out of box ! So they don't have to configure anything !!!

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ One more point that I forgot... in SuSE you have to add repos and then download many codecs for full multimedia support. Tuts are available and you can do it.

But when compared to the very windows like thing added by ubuntu... click and install codecs.... is better for noobs.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
squeez me! latest distrowatch list reports pclinuxos(kde) as topper while ubuntu loses :cry: :( (coz am a gnome user)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah they say PCLinuxOS has a far easier to use UI than Ubuntu. I haven't seen it in action so no comments from me, and nor do I need a lot of easiness with buttons hanging around everywhere and all :p

vish786

"The Gentleman"
infra_red_dude said:
the only drawback in PCLOS is that they don't use deb packages. however, i believe the apt implementation is very good!

even urpmi is pretty good!!! :) Use it once.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
[[no offense quoted from slashdot comments and own experience]]-
PCLinuxOS has so many things to learn from ubuntu, for one spamming everyone's forums with dull advertising of it is boring. Donate buttons on main interface are annoying. Not giving users the warranty they will never make a patent FUD deal with MS makes us insecure. Thinking that including propietary drivers is a revolution in 2007 is arrogant. Spamming distrowatch is lame.
PCLinuxOS is notorious for showing up very high on their list without being a major distribution. The list is based on hits to their site, so it is in theory possible someone wrote a bot to distort the stats.
*www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu,+fedora,+mandriva,+suse,+pclinuxos&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
^^^
foood for thought :rolleyes:
ofcourse i saw spamming for pclinos in many major forums!

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
Dear praka,
Not so fast !! In my office ( all of them windows users) I give demonstration of live cds and ask them to try their own.. then list them by the priority,,

1.PcLinuxOS
2.Freespire-2.0
3.Ubuntu-7.04
4.Mandriva free-2007-(kdelivecd)
5.SAM linux (XFCE clone of PCLInux)

There are two types of users .
1) thus they who already familiar with Windows backround. (Office goers. and IT employees, etc.,_
2) Thus they who are new to windows as well as Linux.

So When I introduced the Ubuntu to 10th Std.students and onwards they fell in love with it
But if you are going to draw the Windows users in to linux, then you must select the OS carefully according to their expectation..

I personnaly prefer PClinux and its clone SAM linux. Now I has Celina (Linux Mint.3.01).. I 've overjoyed with it performance, what ubuntu missed has been completed by its. Please stop attributing motive to PCLinux rating in DW. for long Ubuntu held the fort.. now it is the time for young blood.. to day PClinux , tomorrow it will be sabayan or Linux mint.. such competition improve the Linux standard higher.. I see the script- nonsense in the Ubuntu forum.. I am not a techie just a accountant , I don't know how do run a script. Users like me Distrowatch is the greatest asset , Linux vs Windows may be O.K , but Linux destroying the Linux ?...Ubuntu forum is promoting hatred instead of brotherhood..this is very sad event..
with regards,
Vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom