What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

src2206

In the zone
I have never actually used PCLOS, but used FC 6 and Ubuntu (still using Fiesty)..and what I find that Ubuntu is pretty non geeky...you can do everyhting (almost) in GUI mode, though I bleive it should be further developed to be a completely comparable with XP in terms GUI functionality. Moreover PCLOS is officially released using KDE as DE, so it is a non option for GNOME lovers like me. Though there is a remastered version available.

vaithy

In the zone
Hello,
It is wrong to determine the popularity of Ubuntu and distro like Pclinux.. for examples DW figure include only the page hit ranking in its system where as Ubuntu is available free cds through it mailing.. In india and other developing countries where internet connection is low.. free cds are God sent opportunity for them..out of 10 cds I got from Ubuntu I give away8 cds to other and out of 8 two are actually installed in their system.. rest of them satisfied by live cd mode only.. Such factors never documented so far.. so the reach of Ubuntu to the masses is out reached than other distros.. there fore Ubuntu outrank other distro by mile away..This facts has been acknowledged by Distrowatch as well as Texstar (the man behind PClinux).

I am mainly concerned with windows user friends of mine, who wanted GUI like windows and want to play multimedia immediately on installation.. free software philosophy don't work on them.

with regards,
Vaithy

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
just saw that pclinux os got a gnome edition official or unofficial who knows :?
torrent:
PCLOS Gnome-2.18.0
*linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=4642&hit=1

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
src2206 said:
I have never actually used PCLOS, but used FC 6 and Ubuntu (still using Fiesty)..and what I find that Ubuntu is pretty non geeky...you can do everyhting (almost) in GUI mode, though I bleive it should be further developed to be a completely comparable with XP in terms GUI functionality. Moreover PCLOS is officially released using KDE as DE, so it is a non option for GNOME lovers like me. Though there is a remastered version available.

actually suse is way better than ubuntu when it comes to 'not using the CLI'. And it also provides YaST in CLI.

The only problem is package management. SuSE really needs apt + deb.... which seems highly impossible in short course of time.

src2206

In the zone
aditya.shevade said:
actually suse is way better than ubuntu when it comes to 'not using the CLI'. And it also provides YaST in CLI.

Agreed

aditya.shevade said:
The only problem is package management. SuSE really needs apt + deb.... which seems highly impossible in short course of time.

:) and that is why Ubuntu still adges out a little bit may be

No argument though...I bleive Linux Distros are cmpletely like personal choice of cuisine. I just tried to be analytical, so I caompared the GUI with windows XP.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Yeah. The package management and the strong debian backend with the added community support...... Ubuntu is going pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom