What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
There is an on-going poll on Lenovo blog regarding this.Go and Vote if ur a lenovo thinkpad user(or not!).the same way dell ideastorm worked earlier to select Ubuntu as the choice of distribution to carry,in Lenovo poll Ubuntu is leading the poll 53% voted for Ubuntu.infact all other distros are bleeh..go,vote & post comments.
Linux Follow Up

*lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/wp-content/themes/itb/images/posts_06.gif posted by Matt Kohut on Sep 07, 2007
I’ve been following the discussion in the comments with much interest and a few things are becoming clear to me:
  1. That we’re spending way too much time on the enterprise market and not enough on the enthusiast market. Enterprises have been, and will continue to be, slow to adopt Linux for some of the reasons I outlined, but there are nonetheless a LOT of people running Linux out there, especially on their ThinkPads.
  2. That I need to try Ubuntu. One of our competitors has done so and it seems to be working out for them. (I won’t say who, because every time I mention a competitor by name, you should see the five-alarm fire that erupts over here. You all know who I’m talking about though.)
  3. We’re not anti-Linux and I’m not anti-Linux. Like other vendors we’re trying to figure out what our strategy should be. You all know that I can never comment on anything unannounced, so I took an extreme stance to stimulate discussion.
Thank you all for the well-reasoned and articulate discussion. I hope that it will continue. I’m going to put another poll question up asking which Linux you all would like to see offered. (Though I think I know the answer already). Due to the limitations of our polling plug-in, I think it may disable the previous poll, so if it disappears, that’s what happened.
*lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
in this case it is with Lenovo thinkpads-sure they must go with Ubuntu.practically speaking.if these vendors pre-installs and sells Linux,this will be a BIG awakening to masses who lives in the words of M$ fanatics-Linux is not user-friendly blah...Let Lenovo even bundle compiz-fusion if it matures ;) ..ppl believes aero is what all about!let them know how efficient Linux when it comes to usage,eyecandy and above all the OSS community!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
praka123 said:
in this case it is with Lenovo thinkpads-sure they must go with Ubuntu.practically speaking.if these vendors pre-installs and sells Linux,this will be a BIG awakening to masses who lives in the words of M$ fanatics-Linux is not user-friendly blah...Let Lenovo even bundle compiz-fusion if it matures ;) ..ppl believes aero is what all about!let them know how efficient Linux when it comes to usage,eyecandy and above all the OSS community!
oye prakash, control yaar! :D :D :D

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Personally I would love to see Linux supported Drivers of all models over Pre-Installed... :)

and if pre-installed, Ubuntu is really a nice option... !!! but more than pre-installed linux personaly would love to se full driver support for Linuxes :)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I am desperately waiting for them to switch over to apt. YaST rocks. But if they integrate apt, then it will be the best distro ever. I am surprised that even with so poor a package management system, OpenSuSE remains 3rd distro on Distrowatch.

I am really starting to feel the difference in package management ever since using Ubuntu.... But I sill use SuSE as primary OS.

EDIT :- Prakash, check this *en.opensuse.org/APT for APT on SuSE... I am going to give it a try... in the morning.... right now, gotta run. Assignments. x-(

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
aditya.shevade said:
EDIT :- Prakash, check this *en.opensuse.org/APT for APT on SuSE... I am going to give it a try... in the morning.... right now, gotta run. Assignments. x-(
that is apt4rpm i suppose.we need .debs and apt like the ubuntu way.I still hope(heard loong back about a shift) novell suse may switch to debian ways. debs are way better than .rpms -my opin thats all.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I voted for
Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only drivers, so that all others will also benefit, as it will require documented hardware
I know this is not so possible in reality. But, if a good majority of us show a good response for this, then some hardware vendors will be forced to rethink and might start open up in the specs in the long term.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
praka123 said:
that is apt4rpm i suppose.we need .debs and apt like the ubuntu way.I still hope(heard loong back about a shift) novell suse may switch to debian ways. debs are way better than .rpms -my opin thats all.

Yeah... Dependency conflicts with rpm are really a pain in the a**

Aditya

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Why don't they just follow Dell? Afterall they too conducted a successful online poll with Ubuntu at a very high lead and the internet is still the same. :|

Sort of waste of resources for them.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i voted for ubuntu and for support for lenovo laptops for sure is not great
i am still find it hard to configure my biometric scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom