What if the PC is not well grounded/earthed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Journeyman
Hi guys :)

My friend bought a second hand PC around 3months back..and there is no earthing in any of the electrical point at her home.

so any idea on how bad it can get? Is it going to affect the internal devices (hdd, proc, mobo etc.) ? and any problem if she connects a pendrive ? :confused:

she even talked to some local electrician and even he wasnt very sure about the "ill-effects" .

Thanx

ThinkFree

Technomancer
You may get shocks from all the metallic components(including ports like serial/USB port) of your computer if its not properly earthed. It may slowly harm devices as well .

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
^^
yea i could feel the shock on touching the cabinet !!
and any potential risk in connecting pendrive or "laptop hdd in usb casing" ?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Everything will fail, probably the hard disk or processor first. I was told that if one cannot get earthing, an isolation transformer helps. Please consult an electrician of PC service centre.

And do read this, it is interesting
*www.thailandguru.com/grounding-earthing-electrical.html

Riteshonline

*Unlimited&Ultimate*
Hi guys :)

My friend bought a second hand PC around 3months back..and there is no earthing in any of the electrical point at her home.

so any idea on how bad it can get? Is it going to affect the internal devices (hdd, proc, mobo etc.) ? and any problem if she connects a pendrive ? :confused:

she even talked to some local electrician and even he wasnt very sure about the "ill-effects" .

Thanx

ur PSU*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/38a.gif and HDD *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/26a.gif may get faulty in the future

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yup, surelly HDD will get damaged...nd mabe u wont get proper warranty in case of improper power.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may reduce ur component life
But my old rig was not earthed when I bought it & using 3 years ago. I've used that pc for eight long months without any probs except a little shock.
After eight I've earthed my electricity line properly :D. I am using that pc still now with all the old parts & some upgraded parts.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
As others have rightly mentioned, all components will be prone to failure and the first will be the HDD. At least get the PC's plug point earthed and get it checked using a DMM and not as is usually done by electricians using a bulb.

After all it will not cost you much if you are not staying in a high rise building.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Nothing will really happen if the machine is not grounded other than getting those mild shocks if you touch it. I've had a P3 running without grounding for all its life before I sold it (i.e. 3 years).

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Nothing will really happen if the machine is not grounded other than getting those mild shocks if you touch it. I've had a P3 running without grounding for all its life before I sold it (i.e. 3 years).

You said it :)
Those old processors were slower and less prone to power problems unlike the latest fast processors. Try using a new rig without earthing, you won't get very far, I assure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom