What does the term "Overlock" Mean..?

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
Over lock means...??---to make system optimized for better performance..
How can i overlock ... what does it need..??!
is any kind of software is needed to do this...!!
Need to know..i know it's a kiddy type question..but i really don't have any idea..please answer..

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
it is not overlock, its over clock i.e. going over the factory fixed clock speed.
Usually bios is best way to overclock a processor or ram but first mention what you want to overclock. processor, GPU or what else?

CentaurDream

Broken In
Overclocking is the process of running a computer component at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed...

You don't really need a software to overclock, but you will need some softwares to check your temps, stress test etc.

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
Re: What does the term "Overlock" Mean..?

How is it possible to change the clock speed of processor/GPU..without any software....can you please explain it stepwise..thanks anyway.

I thought playing of some high level games or some kind of massive resource oriented software can overclock the system itself..
...please explain...

Thanks for response..i'm a simple pc user,generally a entry level gamer gamer also...i've posted it because i want to know that my system is running with overclocked speed..or not..i've not changed anything in bios setting.
I've seen that my processor temp is around 46-50c just after 1-2 hour of gaming (crysis 1/battlefield bad company)..and i thought,unwanted load on system can cause overclock..i saw somewhere that "overclocked processor can reach melting temp."..

frankeric

Journeyman
hi there bro before even thinking about overclocking you must know that if you do a slightest mistake than your system perhaps die.

CentaurDream

Broken In
**Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide** (with LN2 Guide at The End)

Beginner's guide to overclocking | News | TechRadar

Beginners Guides: Overclocking the CPU, Motherboard and Memory - PCSTATS.com

Read up on these..

Flash

Lost in speed
In funny terms, its when you beat your horse to run fast one step higher of what it can deliver. :lol:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: What does the term "Overlock" Mean..?

How is it possible to change the clock speed of processor/GPU..without any software....can you please explain it stepwise..thanks anyway.

I thought playing of some high level games or some kind of massive resource oriented software can overclock the system itself..
...please explain...

Thanks for response..i'm a simple pc user,generally a entry level gamer gamer also...i've posted it because i want to know that my system is running with overclocked speed..or not..i've not changed anything in bios setting.
I've seen that my processor temp is around 46-50c just after 1-2 hour of gaming (crysis 1/battlefield bad company)..and i thought,unwanted load on system can cause overclock..i saw somewhere that "overclocked processor can reach melting temp."..

Only CPu can be OCed without any software .. to Oc a gpu using fo somekind of software app is must and no playing high sys requirement games won't OC anything automatically.

to know for sure if you can OC your cpu / gpu or not post the manufacturer and model name/no of your cpu,gpu,mobo, ram and PSU.

Top Bottom