What browser is lightest on memory and CPU?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Okay,this might not help you much.but whynot try some linux distro which is low on resources like slitaz,which runs good on 128 mb ram.The default midori browser is good and there is also a firefox version that you can install.SliTaz GNU/Linux (en)

digit.sh

Journeyman
I’m looking for a browser which is very light on memory & CPU. and has ad blocking feature.
To be used for:
Opening multiple pages, and have them keep open for a very long time
Youtube videos

my laptop is compaq.

Ms windows XP professional SP3
intel celeron m cpu 420 1.60ghz
mobile intel 945gm express chipset family
Memory :256 RAM

With this configuration its horribly wrong to use Windows XP. As many others members did, I strongly suggest you to use a lightweight Linux distribution like, PuppyLinux. You can even run LinuxMint Mate edition. But don't go for Xubuntu or any other distro that run Xfce. Xfce is almost as heavy as GNOME and a lot buggier. Also do read about distros like ArchBang and CrunchBang. They are, as I heard, very lightweight(I have not used them though). These two runs OpenBox desktop environment instead of GNOME or KDE or Xfce. With that sort of config, your overall experience will be much better if you run linux instead of Windows XP. Also, there are some *very* lightweight(even text mode) browsers available for Linux. NetSurf and Midori are just two examples. And, because the OS itself is lighter, you can even run full featured browsers like Firefox. :wink:

Now if you decide to stick to Windows, for whatever the reason(I don't think there is any), I am helpless here. I do not think there is a browser available for Windows that is light enough.:|

Oh, Btw, you can even install Linux side by side in the same harddisk where windows installed without removing windows. :) It gives yet another reason to install Linux. :) Just google "how dualboot linux windows". :)

a_medico

Chillum Baba
There used to be text-only browser. Cant recall the name. Lynx or something. But not very good browsing experience. Opera is good.

also Avant is good. been using it since many years.

digit.sh

Journeyman
^elinks i guess

Yeah I use elinks and lynx regularly on linux. Not sure if they are available for windows. I think NetSurf is the lightest graphical browser out there, also its a free software. Again, not sure if its there for windows.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
no windows version of NetSurf is available though you can download a browser called NetSurf from download.com but they are entirely different from each other and same goes for the publisher too.

Top Bottom