WD or Seagate HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Hi friends!
I need your suggestions. As its evident from the topic title, I want to know which HDD should I buy? Seagate or Western Digital. I am going to buy 160 GB SATA.

I've had bad experiences with Seagate & have no experience with WD. I always prefer Samsung but now I've no idea now as I've heard WD is better.

I've had bad sector & noise problems with Seagate not once or twice but four times. My dealer says its now a common problem & WD has poor warranty service.

So guys please suggest- WD, Samsung or Seagate?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
First all, I'd suggest you get the electricals checked at your place esp. earth leakage. Secondly change the connecting cables.

I've not had any bad experiences with seagate hdds. Been using them since my first computer in 1993!!! On the contrary my friend has had lotsa problems with seagate and has 4 dead HDDs in just under 1.5 years. I'd suggest you first get everything checked. Also make sure that except the body none of the metallic parts/pcb of the hdd touch the case of any other device. Mount it securely.

utsav

damn busy...
Seagate is the best hdd manufacturer.i havnt seen any dead seagape or hitachi but hav seen many dead samsung

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^am still using ma old Seagate Sata I without any problems, but nowadays Seagate hav many problems.....most of d guys who recently brought Seagate from us had problems. I suggest u better take Hitachi......its less costly and performs better, otherwise go for WD.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll also suggest Hitachi. I am using one since 7 months and I've faced no problem with it.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Anirudh said:
First all, I'd suggest you get the electricals checked at your place esp. earth leakage. Secondly change the connecting cables.

I've not had any bad experiences with seagate hdds. Been using them since my first computer in 1993!!! On the contrary my friend has had lotsa problems with seagate and has 4 dead HDDs in just under 1.5 years. I'd suggest you first get everything checked. Also make sure that except the body none of the metallic parts/pcb of the hdd touch the case of any other device. Mount it securely.

There is no earth leakage or any kind of electrical problem for sure. I've checked that. The PCB and other metallic parts on the bottom do not touch the cabinet metal or any other device & I mount it using 4 screws & that too properly tightened. I always take care of that when I install HDDs.

I'll change the SATA data cable & power cable this time when I get it.

Thank you!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

There is no earth leakage or any kind of electrical problem for sure. I've checked that. The PCB and other metallic parts on the bottom do not touch the cabinet metal or any other device & I mount it using 4 screws & that too properly tightened. I always take care of that when I install HDDs.

I'll change the SATA data cable & power cable this time when I get it.

Thank you!
I've seen this peculiar problem but some mobos (or should I specifically say the ide/sata controllers) don't like hdds of a certain brand. There is no logical reason I could find why this happens, but it just happens. Mebbe thats the case with you.

Till when do you haf warranty? This time you can take replacement (and use different cables and see, or change the sata controller to which it is connected) and if it has to fail it will surely fail shortly after replacement! Get a WD or Hitachi one after that.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
In my place WD is the cheapest nd 160GS sata2 WD is for 1.9k with tax. nd Seagate is for 2.2k
And by far my experience, seagate is better than WD. I know many friends with bad experiene with WD, but seagate troubles are rare.
Whichever it may be frequent transportation may lead into trouble even if its not subjected to gud shocks.
Nyway Samsung is outaa qn is by far worst. I myself has 3 dead samsungs.
Hitachi is gud but low performance i think , or atleast the one i have.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Anirudh said:
I've seen this peculiar problem but some mobos (or should I specifically say the ide/sata controllers) don't like hdds of a certain brand. There is no logical reason I could find why this happens, but it just happens. Mebbe thats the case with you.

Till when do you haf warranty? This time you can take replacement (and use different cables and see, or change the sata controller to which it is connected) and if it has to fail it will surely fail shortly after replacement! Get a WD or Hitachi one after that.

The motherboard is Asus M2NPV-MX. The HDD is just 6 months old. So 4 and a half years of warranty is left. I'll do as you suggested- change the SATA controller, cables. Lets see what happens. I hope I'll befriend Seagate this time :D

Aravind said:
In my place WD is the cheapest nd 160GS sata2 WD is for 1.9k with tax. nd Seagate is for 2.2k
And by far my experience, seagate is better than WD. I know many friends with bad experiene with WD, but seagate troubles are rare.
Whichever it may be frequent transportation may lead into trouble even if its not subjected to gud shocks.
Nyway Samsung is outaa qn is by far worst. I myself has 3 dead samsungs.
Hitachi is gud but low performance i think , or atleast the one i have.

I had bad experience with Seagate previously & then finally settled for Samsung. Then I upgraded my system & bought Seagate SATA HDD. This time its giving me nightmares yet again! I never had problems with Samsung in the past! Guess its opposite with me.

P.S.- @Anirudh- The mobo has NVIDIA controllers.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
This means that no HDD is as reliable as it is heard to be. So guys, just close the eyes nd pick one, as there is problem with all models:D

seriuosly guys...hearing all these i personally feels like this. But this is the case for HDDs only.:)

praka123

left this forum longback
Bought a seagate 160GB 2 days back!did a smart test first to ensure everything is OK.Now I have 2 sata hdd's'both from seagate.
Am `am satisfied :)

From what my dealer is saying,Seagate hdd is more reliable as hdd failure is less.although bad press is more against seagate :p

WD?WD brought from Gulf/Outside are very reliable as per my friend.WD made in India-yet to prove itself.

So,Seagate is what works fine for most!

while samsung hdds are very much undesirable.

Personally,I will have to use livecd to browse :evil: when these hdd manufacturers are forced to have DRM installed on their HDD's :x already WD models are carrying DRM i,AFAIK.Seagate/samsung/Hitachi all will have to bend to the knees of RIAA and US "user friendly" laws which allows DRM to be installed on a new hdd!how horrible.

although,there will be someone who cracks DRM,nullifying it.but once DRM went complex,no body can save :evil:

wait!I hope solid state flash drives will come this year,I suppose :) I''ll move to Solid-state drives ASAP.

Prevent DRM:
*www.defectivebydesign.org
*www.badvista.fsf.org

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dont buy seagate iv already sizable data due to bad sectors and hdd crashing all in 2 weeks of buying it ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Personally,I will have to use livecd to browse :evil: when these hdd manufacturers are forced to have DRM installed on their HDD's :x already WD models are carrying DRM i,AFAIK.Seagate/samsung/Hitachi all will have to bend to the knees of RIAA and US "user friendly" laws which allows DRM to be installed on a new hdd!how horrible.

although,there will be someone who cracks DRM,nullifying it.but once DRM went complex,no body can save :evil:

wait!I hope solid state flash drives will come this year,I suppose :) I''ll move to Solid-state drives ASAP.

Prevent DRM:
*www.defectivebydesign.org
*www.badvista.fsf.org

What has DRM gotta do with this topic? AFAIK, No desktop HDD today has the DRM $h1t! Secondly, what relation does "badvista" haf with this topic??????!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom