[Query] WD 1 TB External Drive-RMA after fall ?

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
I recently purchased two WD My Passport Ultra 1tb Drives from flipkart.

So one day my idiot of a brother connected the hard disk to the tv and kept it on the tv,a led tv which was barely 3cm wide,and so it very obviously took a fall.

The hard disk's case cracked open,there was no visible damage to the drive,just some scratches on the case.
When he connected the drive again it worked,then it stopped,then whe he connected it to the pc it worked and then it stopped working completely.

Neither the pc nor the tv is able to read it now and it is making a beeping sound.

So it is obviously kaput and i don't really care about the data (it was his data) i just want to know will wd replace it?
Please keep in mind that the external case was opened.Does it void warranty ?

insaneYLN

In the zone
Goto WD Service Centre.
Check there what they say.
If they give onsite warranty then call them.

I am unsure if Western Digital has a 'service centre' per se. But, the author of the thread can infallibly give a bell on its support/technical helpline number, which is 1800 200 5789.

Going by the thread author's description, the fact that the outer case/enclosure has cracked, there is a strong likelihood of Western Digital rejecting a warranty claim, citing physical damage.

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
I am unsure if Western Digital has a 'service centre' per se. But, the author of the thread can infallibly give a bell on its support/technical helpline number, which is 1800 200 5789.

Going by the thread author's description, the fact that the outer case/enclosure has cracked, there is a strong likelihood of Western Digital rejecting a warranty claim, citing physical damage.

most likely it will be rejected.. Physical damage will not be accepted..
but stil u should try ur luck..

satinder

DELHIITE
It is good to try atleast,
you may get the repair cost also, if possible to get it repair.
It is a valuable product,
not a glass,
shattered and finished.

OP
NiGHtfUrY

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman

Thankyou so much for the number.
The case isnt exactly cracked per se,it doesnt even have any scratches that confirm that it fell.Only if someone closely observers the edges they will find some scratches which CAN be the result of normal wear and tear.Just can.

Can I open the external case ?Will they know if i opened it?
I was thinking maybe i exchange the external case with my other working hard disk so that the external case looks spotless.

- - - Updated - - -

It is good to try atleast,
you may get the repair cost also, if possible to get it repair.
It is a valuable product,
not a glass,
shattered and finished.

Yes,this was the first time i purchased an external hardisk.

Should i call and tell them that the hard disk fell?
What should i say?
It suddenly stopped working?

- - - Updated - - -

most likely it will be rejected.. Physical damage will not be accepted..
but stil u should try ur luck..

Yes, i hope the accept it.

saswat23

Human Spambot
The case isnt exactly cracked per se,it doesnt even have any scratches that confirm that it fell.Only if someone closely observers the edges they will find some scratches which CAN be the result of normal wear and tear.Just can.

I was thinking maybe i exchange the external case with my other working hard disk so that the external case looks spotless.

- - - Updated - - -
Never think of it, else you will void warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

What should i say?

- - - Updated - - -

Probably the second one. If you tell that it has fallen they might refuse to RMA because its not a rugged drive.

- - - Updated - - -

They probably will because there is no crack mark on the drive. Minor scratches are normal.

tech0freak0

tech is in mah bl00d
Lol.......i have 320gb seagate hard drive (4 yrs old).
It had fallen many times and cracked open, still working fine

satinder

DELHIITE

- - - Updated - - -

Yes,this was the first time i purchased an external hardisk.

What should i say?

- - - Updated - - -

You have to say simply that this HDD is not working .
It is their problem to sort out the matter.

Top Bottom