OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Well I had a budget of 20k and it was available for 21k and my dad said I can get it. The store didn't sell Moto and I used both N8 and Wave II and found N8 to be better. Did I make a bad choice ? I am sorry but I am a noob with cell phones. The online reviews seem to be good.

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Well 1 and a half days later, this is my short experience :-

Good :-
--> 16GB onboard storage plus MicroSD slot is kickass.
--> Best camera on a phone i have seen.
--> Decent screen. Fluid touch interface.
--> Loundspeaker quality is okay. Earpiece and mic are very clear
--> The build quality is good. Phone looks sexy.
--> On the move USB + HDMI out makes it a great media player
--> Sound quality with headphones is amazing

Bad :-
--> Symbian 3
--> Lack of apps
--> The whole OVI store crap. Why can't I directly download the apps on my PC, put them on my phone and install them ?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^Officially apps are available thru OVI.if u want the apps setups in PC then use
3rdparty sites or google.

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Well frankly, you could have made a better choice... since you could spend around 21k a desire/milestone would have been better. But hey, you liked the N8 more, and its your phone, and that's what matters! enjoy :)

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
No it's not my choice that matters. N8 is actually an inferior phone when compared to Desire or even Wave II. Though the hardware is better than those phones, the software aspect sucks. I made a hasty decision. I hadn't even done my research and as my cell phone knowledge is pretty limited, I should have done great amounts of research. Anyways maybe after I finish my 10th ICSE Board examinations, I'll sell this off and get a Desire or if I get good grades than Desire HD :D.

noob

Cyborg Agent
N8 is actually an inferior phone when compared to Desire or even Wave II. Though the hardware is better than those phones, the software aspect sucks. I made a hasty decision. I hadn't even done my research and as my cell phone knowledge is pretty limited, I should have done great amounts of research. Anyways maybe after I finish my 10th ICSE Board examinations, I'll sell this off and get a Desire or if I get good grades than Desire HD :D.

LOL :D

say that after few days. :)
Respect....Android FTW :)

icebags

Technomancer
say that after few days. :)

Sorry i am new to this.

what could be the problem with this N8? if he gets the necessary everyday applications like office editing, pdf reader, maps, push mail etc and then it has a very nice camera.

other than he searching for new games or apps after few months, what else could go wrong with N8 that will not gonna happen to an android like desire ? :?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
No it's not my choice that matters. N8 is actually an inferior phone when compared to Desire or even Wave II. Though the hardware is better than those phones, the software aspect sucks. I made a hasty decision. I hadn't even done my research and as my cell phone knowledge is pretty limited, I should have done great amounts of research. Anyways maybe after I finish my 10th ICSE Board examinations, I'll sell this off and get a Desire or if I get good grades than Desire HD :D.

IMO, N8 is better than Desire HD. the battery life and display of Desire HD are below average. Now that you have N8, just wait for release of newer devices like LG Optimus Black, Samsung GalaxyS II and SE Xperia play/neo/arc.

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

Sorry i am new to this.

what could be the problem with this N8? if he gets the necessary everyday applications like office editing, pdf reader, maps, push mail etc and then it has a very nice camera.

other than he searching for new games or apps after few months, what else could go wrong with N8 that will not gonna happen to an android like desire ? :?

It's the stale and old OS. try android on a phone like desire for a few days and then start using N8, you will understand.

pauldmps

Banned
Sorry i am new to this.

This has been discussed many times in every tech site & forum. Android is much superior than Symbian. No point of discussing it again & again.

And I don't understand why people brag so much about the camera. How many pictures do you shoot everyday ? It is the least used feature in a phone.

I would rather prefer my phone to have better Social Network Integration (which I use daily), E-mail, news feed, music recognition & streaming, etc. which Android provides.

icebags

Technomancer
This has been discussed many times in every tech site & forum. Android is much superior than Symbian. No point of discussing it again & again.

And I don't understand why people brag so much about the camera. How many pictures do you shoot everyday ? It is the least used feature in a phone. (but never logged in from fone , from his computer all the time)

I would rather prefer my phone to have better Social Network Integration (which I use daily), E-mail, news feed, music recognition & streaming, etc. which Android provides.

u don't understand, not all people are tech savvy like u. to them, from a phone, basic requirements are strong signal, good battery backup, loud music, good /wireless FM, and if possible a very nice camera.

most of my office colleagues, even though have expensive fones like 10k-15k, never actually do SNS.

one of my old college friend, bought N73 @ 23k in 2006 just for its superb 3.2 mp camera. he used to take pic everyday and post them to orkut (he almost never logged in from fone, always from desktop) before that fone was stolen.

and yes, apart from what desi said its awesome UI, i don't seem to find these repeated posts of symbian vs android even after few google searches. Can u give me some link ? if u don't want to post in forum then pm may be ?

(sorry for not following all the android posts from beginning, i was not available. :-()

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
u don't understand, not all people are tech savvy like u. to them, from a phone, basic requirements are strong signal, good battery backup, loud music, good /wireless FM, and if possible a very nice camera.

most of my office colleagues, even though have expensive fones like 10k-15k, never actually do SNS.

one of my old college friend, bought N73 @ 23k in 2006 just for its superb 3.2 mp camera. he used to take pic everyday and post them to orkut (he almost never logged in from fone, always from desktop) before that fone was stolen.

and yes, apart from what desi said its awesome UI, i don't seem to find these repeated posts of symbian vs android even after few google searches. Can u give me some link ? if u don't want to post in forum then pm may be ?

(sorry for not following all the android posts from beginning, i was not available. :-()

Symbain S^3 has been reviewed so many times... Here is one Super-review of S^3 on Nokia N8 --- Mobile-review.com Symbian^3 – Main Applications and Features

Here is a review of Android 2.2 by Gizmodo -- Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

Nokia N8 has excellent hardware... but the software sucks. Its no wonder that Nokia has decided to dump Symbain and Meego and has decided to use Windows Phone 7 for all it smartphones from 2011 end...

Nokia N8 review on Youtube -- YouTube - Nokia N8 Review

Cheers!

pauldmps

Banned
@icebags

As the person above my post said, the declining Nokia sales & the latest decision to ditch Symbian are the biggest proof.

If you want to know more, you can read any of the reviews of N8, C7 etc. on the sites phonearena.com & gsmarena.com. They all complain on the software part while praising the hardware.

One fine example of this is the following post from Gizmodo: Why We’re Not Reviewing the Nokia N8. Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

If people have basic requirements, they should not spend such huge amount of money in buying those phones. The sales of Nokia from last two years, the success of Apple iPhone & its app store, however contradicts your viewpoint. Things have changed. People want convergence, people want power to do anything on their phones & Android & iOS provides that. Symbian doesn't.

You might argue that no one requires such powerful software & such plethora of functions. But same is true for computers too. You might say "I don't need dual-core processor, 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 with Aero effects" but you will have no other choice because there is no single-core processor, 256MB RAM sticks or Windows XP selling in the market. This is technological evolution, devices will go more and more powerful & you will not have a choice than to buy that device whether you need that much power or not.

You said that the N73 has a superb camera. 3.2 MP camera is hardly superb now. Why ? If it used to be superb that days, why is it not today ? Because we have better cameras now - from 5 MP to 12 MP. If 3.2 MP camera is superb, you should be more interested in the Optimus One than the N8. But you are interested in the opposite. Why? Because somewhere in you mind you want to upgrade on the hardware part. If you are accepting a hardware upgrade why not a software upgrade too ? Software is perhaps, the most important aspect for any device. You ask yourself why you prefer to use Windows (or MacOS) over Linux (or even DOS).
As quoted by a former head of design of Nokia:

"The engineers at Nokia brag about the number of megapixels a new phone has, but they don't understand that if you can't find the button to use the camera on the phone, it doesn't matter how many megapixels it is."

As for your friend, I can understand why he used a desktop to log in to Orkut account. I can imagine the frustration of using the mobile browser to log in to Orkut & sharing photos (that too over a GPRS connection).

If he had the convenience of sharing photos on the move using a dedicated Orkut app. (yes there is one) via WiFi or 3G, I don't think he would ever touch his desktop again. That is the point I want to make. Imagine the possibilities of a true smartphone OS which makes your life simpler & more converged.

I accept that there aren't good Android camera-phones right now. But things are going to change soon. The MWC saw a huge number of 8MP camera Android phones which are due to launch soon.

Again camera is last in my list of preferences. I'd rather buy a digital camera if want truly satisfying photos. A digital-camera + smartphone combo actually costs lesser than a useless phone like the N8 & gives you best of both worlds.

This I think is the last time I'm discussing about Symbian because as you'll be reading my post, Symbian will be dead already. Symbian has been killed. Time to move on..............................

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

No offense meant but that's because your colleagues are douchebags, part of margo family (like I said before, margo/clinicplus/maruti/bata/nokia/colgate..). There is life beyond Symbian and Nokia themselves realized that.

ah. forgot. Add Orkut to the list above.

those comparisons are over. Symbian is history. like I said, use android for few days and then you will understand. If you can't, you better check what soap and shampoo you are using.

icebags

Technomancer
@Amalek

Thanks for providing such nice reviews, i am going through them right now.

@pauldmps

thanks again for such elaborate explanation, but he went after Nokia because because at that price range that is the best camera phone he could get. Camera plays a big role in his everyday life, but he doesn't like taking another device that looks like a "camera". with a phone its much more easier to take a camouflaged camera at places. i current days i have no doubt, he would have gone for a fone that has a strong camera - 5mp 8 mp whatever. its personal preference.

and mp doesn't mean everything on a camera, later when N73 was priced down to ~14k the 3.2mp camera quality was heavily degraded. you could tell that just by looking at their pics.

yes, there was no 3g that time, but here in india 99% ppl hardly care about data on a phone. other wise 3g would have grown larger by now.

here, to most of the people, an expensive fone = showoff.

peace.

@desi

i like the acting of Shahid Kapoor, but does that mean fans of Dev Anand or Hema Malini are all douche bags? :D that is very offensive isn't it ?

and yes the comparision is over ........ no more symbian - android please. i have already got the reviews i requested. Amalek has given me. :)

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@Amalek

@pauldmps

thanks again for such elaborate explanation, but he went after Nokia because because at that price range that is the best camera phone he could get. Camera plays a big role in his everyday life, but he doesn't like taking another device that looks like a "camera". with a phone its much more easier to take a camouflaged camera at places. i current days i have no doubt, he would have gone for a fone that has a strong camera - 5mp 8 mp whatever. its personal preference.

and mp doesn't mean everything on a camera, later when N73 was priced down to ~14k the 3.2mp camera quality was heavily degraded. you could tell that just by looking at their pics.

yes, there was no 3g that time, but here in india 99% ppl hardly care about data on a phone. other wise 3g would have grown larger by now.

here, to most of the people, an expensive fone = showoff.

peace.

and that HE is part of the market share that is shrinking faster than bollywood diva's dress lenght. You will understand the mobile ecosystems better if you look at people other than he and few other old Joes.

pauldmps

Banned
@icebags

I don't know if I should carry on this argument with you since you have developed a very-wrong type of mindset & claim statistics which are untrue.

You are talking about a friend of yours whose behavior is being used by you judge the whole world.

If an expensive phone is a showoff, then neither Apple would not have surpassed Microsoft to become the most valued tech company nor Nokia move to WP7 ditching Symbian. Yes, there are expensive phones which are a showoff like the N8. ("See my phone has 12MP camera")

You also seem to mean that Nokia phones have better camera than the rest, whatever the megapixels may be. Again you don't have any statistics or reason for this.

How can you conclude that 99% of Indians do not care of GPRS ? I live in a rural area & mostly every person (below 30) has GPRS subscription in his phone (mostly to check Facebook). You have no idea of how much tech revolution has happened in India. The total internet connection in India now ranks 4th globally out which, the majority of people access internet over cellphones, especially in rural areas.
52 Million Active Internet Users in India – rural India overtakes Urbanites ! [report]
India to have 3rd largest number of Internet users by 2013 - The Times of India

About 3G, it has not been rolled out properly, is costly & not all phones support it. Just wait & watch how 3G extends in near future given the tariffs becomes justified.

And from my day-to-day experience, I do not find people clicking pictures randomly using their phones. But I do find plenty of people who brag about the number of megapixels his phone has.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@Amalek

Buddy,

Now that you already have the Nokia N8, and you don't like the interface... there is something called "skins" that can be used. My small sister (just passed 10th Std this year) wanted a phone to take to college, I got her a Nokia 5233. After a few days, I installed SPB skin on it.

Now, it looks awesome, and has better functionality. She has stopped complaining. So, you might as well look for N8 skins like SPB Mobile Shell, and install it. Many people will be surprised at how awesome it looks...

Check this video

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

@pauldmps,

Chill bro... you are taking this phone stuff too personally... its just a damned phone... relax...

Last edited:
Top Bottom