Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive >> R.I.P HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voldy

The Dark lord
The Media QUALITY and capacity of blu-ray is still now much more better than HD-DVD so thats why most of companies have now made their way towards the Blu-ray format

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
The only point is Cheap Media . The same reason why dual-layer DVD isn't poplular .

Lets say that a 15GB HD-DVD Costs Rs 45 and a 25 GB Blu-Ray costs 150 Bucks(sony's media is ALWAYS overprices , look at memory stick ) so everyone will buy 15GB HD-DVD's n burn 3 of em to get 45 GB for the same price .

And btw , BD uses java for it's interactive environment , whereas HDi uses ECMAScript(pretty much javascript) as it's scripting language .

We all know Java has a penchant for low-performance(yes , C# is faster) and over-complicating things(Java EE , JSF , EJB , the whole sun enterprise-framework thing with it's numerous components ) so i think HDi has an upper hand here too as Web-Developers can readily apply their knowledge of Javascript n XML to author HD-DVD content .

goobimama

 Macboy
The Media QUALITY and capacity of blu-ray is still now much more better than HD-DVD so thats why most of companies have now made their way towards the Blu-ray format
One of the stupidest arguments I've read so far. What makes you say HD DVD has inferior media quality? Warner has only moved to Blu ray because it had to choose one format to end the format war. Sure there's more space on Blu ray, but as of now, it is not needed at all. And in future, HD DVD will/could support it by adding in more layers (upto 8 layered have been demo'ed I think)

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Yesterday Warner Bros., the last "on the fence" studio, announced its decision to drop HD-DVD at the of end of May and focus on Blu-ray only. Fallout, as well as some crowing, and even some veiled threats, has begun.

First the HD-DVD Group issued a short, terse press release in response to the announcement. It didn't really say much, more of a rah-rah one-paragraph statement.
"While Warner's decision is a setback for HD DVD, the consumer has benefited from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability -- a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format. We believe widespread adoption of a next generation format will ultimately be determined by the consumer."
That may be true, but one of the reasons many people have stayed on the sidelines is not wanting to get stuck with another Betamax. This just pushes the decision further along, although as long as big studios continue to support HD-DVD (and Paramount had some big pics this year, such as Transformers) it won't die easily.

Of course, while that was rah-rah, what happened later was not. I received an email about the HD-DVD group's CES press conference / party planned for Sunday night. Cancelled. Whoops.
"Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability--a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format."
Hmmm. The party's over, literally, I guess.

Toshiba, the "main man" behind HD-DVD, also issued a press release, expressing "disappointment" at Warner Bros. decision. Check out the "there are contracts in place" statement. Ooops. Also, notice the mirroring of the last paragraph with the email above.
Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.
That statement over "contracts" could be a sign of legal action. Certainly not as aggressive as the OLPC Foundation's statement about Intel yesterday, however.

Meaning the crowing from the other side of the aisle has begun, as the Blu-ray Group announced the "Best Booth of All-Time." Also known, in that same press release, as the "HOTTEST BOOTH" (caps theirs). Of course, it's not like their boasting or anything, right?

Obviously more to come, but where's a consumer look right now for hi-def? I still stay on the sidelines, personally. The Warner Bros. decision actually would make me lean toward Blu-ray, but Transformers alone makes me lean toward HD-DVD and Paramount. And let's not forget:

just founf this one net...

vice read...

Voldy

The Dark lord
One of the stupidest arguments I've read so far. What makes you say HD DVD has inferior media quality? Warner has only moved to Blu ray because it had to choose one format to end the format war. Sure there's more space on Blu ray, but as of now, it is not needed at all. And in future, HD DVD will/could support it by adding in more layers (upto 8 layered have been demo'ed I think)

Iam sorry dude abt my comments did i conclude something wrong i know HD-DVD too has better media but some how sony's blu ray has some upperhand on the media Quality and in near future HD-DVD will be coming on head to head with blu-ray in terms of media.i dont mean to critize HD-DVD its great in its place too

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
media quality in terms of reliability of data stored onto the media.I think blu-ray dvds are more reliable in this respect.

And yea BTW if you have some really important data store in on a cd instead of a DVD cos Cds are more reliable.I guess its the same with blu-ray vs. HD-DVD.I am not sure though.

praka123

left this forum longback
measuring the media quality ? well,how long does it last to allow complete copying from a ordinary drive of respective formats bluray/hd-dvd.i mean,with todays dvds,after a month or so,i can not copy completely to hdd!now that is one measure,next comes the amount of space the format gives.and in this dept blu-ray may win!

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
fact of the matter is that HD-dvd is just a modification of normal DVDs that we use to store more data,and as some of you may be known that DVDs aren't very reliable in terms of data stored on them.Otherwise wouldn't they just have increased the storage capacity of the normal DVds we use?no need to buy new DVD players and all.While blu-ray is much more advanced than hd-dvds and something related to drm sh!t afaik(blu-rays are difficult to drm I guess while hd-dvd can have 'perfect drm' something,thats why M$ is favouring hd-dvd)

goobimama

 Macboy
What are you talking about? The reason why DVDs have 4.7GB per layer is because of the wavelength of the red laser, a limitation of that. HD DVD on the other hand uses a blue laser, which is much shorter than a red laser resulting in the pits and bumps being closer and more compact. Blu ray also works on the principles of the blue laser having a smaller wavelength.

Also, BD+ is known to be a much more advanced protection (DRM) than the earlier AACS protection used on Blu ray and HD DVD. So for all supporters of DRM, Blu ray would be a better choice.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^I am not sure about the drm thingy but I am sure about the fact the blu-ray is more advanced technologically and thats why it requires entirely different equipments.Anyways why should we worry?They are darn costly as of now.

And yea I am damn sure about the 'reliability of data' thing.More the layers lesser the reliability.CDs will continue to be the most reliable optical media.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
And yea I am damn sure about the 'reliability of data' thing.More the layers lesser the reliability.CDs will continue to be the most reliable optical media.
Even the low cost cds are highly reliable.. But the dvds are not like that. Only those expensive ones are reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom