Wanted the best DVD Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumyo

Right off the assembly line
I am looking for a DVD wiriter that can support all formats and is rated the best in performance . Please suggest me . Price no bound . Mention if it is available in India.
[/b]

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
ALL FORMATS includes DVD-RAM. Only LG currently makes DVD-Writers with DVD-RAM support. The latest LG writer is the GSA-4163. Buy this writer if you are intrested in DVD-RAM.

But DVD-RAM is hardly ever used and there much better writers out there. One way to identify the latet breed of writers is to check the RW speeds. +RW tops out at 8x and -RW at 6x.

Here are the best:

Liteon SOHW-1673S
Pioneer DVR-109
Sony DRU 720A
Asus DRW-1608P
BenQ DW 1640 (I'm not sure if this has been released yet)
NEC ND-3520A (not available in India, by my personal favourite)

mamba

In the zone
4 the best ' raw ' performance , go 4 a gigabyte 1 ( that is if u can find 1 :D

otherwise lite-on 1673s is gud enuf

amit_arya

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
One way to identify the latet breed of writers is to check the RW speeds. +RW tops out at 8x and -RW at 6x.

i would recommend have a DL (dual layer) support...... this will be required to write the 9.XXGB disks which might be comman in near future to come....

and dude.. do remm. to enable the DMA mode else writing 4.5gb of data on a DVD will take you around a hour or more than usual 10-15minutes.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
drvarunmehta said:
One way to identify the latet breed of writers is to check the RW speeds. +RW tops out at 8x and -RW at 6x.

amit_arya said:
i would recommend have a DL (dual layer) support...... this will be required to write the 9.XXGB disks which might be comman in near future to come....
All writers with 8x +RW and 6x -RW speeds are dual-layer compatible.

amit_arya

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
All writers with 8x +RW and 6x -RW speeds are dual-layer compatible.

You never know when/where and why some company start a NON dual layer writer with that speeds to make public a fool :p so better be careful

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Liteon SOHW-1673S
Pioneer DVR-109
Sony DRU 720A

All the bove drives are crap.

You are better off with
LG 4163B or BenQ DW1640

Excellent drives. :wink:

magnet

Youngling
quad sure abt that price?????it looks damn less....with the things its supporting it must b ard 5000+....also in some other site i read reviews abt ppl saying this drive no doubt best in writing...but is not durable....someone drive died in 2 months of purchase....

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hi quadmaster , are you sure benq 1640 is available in mumbai and if it is then please suggest a few shops at lamington road .

also benq is coming with new model dq60 which has same specifations as 1640 but it has dvd-ram too .. cool ..

also i think that at the moment it is the best dvd writer to posses, what's your opinion?

pls reply

:lol: .

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
its gonne be useful only if you need dvd-ram support ! afaik dvd-ram market is literally nil in india. What i mean to say is that dvd-ram isnt used so its hardly a feature u need to wait for. The Benq 1640 shud b available @ computer selection and PC guide @ lamington i think.

The Day Walker!

In the zone
hey pals...if i dont want 2 go 4 benq and i dont need dvd-ram, then can any1 suggest which is the best drive in durability and performance???

thanx

TDW {RES}

Charley

Just Do It
blade_runner said:
its gonne be useful only if you need dvd-ram support ! afaik dvd-ram market is literally nil in india. What i mean to say is that dvd-ram isnt used so its hardly a feature u need to wait for.

Let me put accross an instance I had whn I got to the video shop to get some movies.. I asked the video guy for the movies and he said he had only DVD's with him and no CD's .... He says Cd's are now outdated ...

HOWZAAT :lol:

amit_arya

Broken In
jatinkompelli said:
Hi, amit
Can u plz tell me what is the DMA mode

DMA is direct memory access.. where the communication over the BUS is independent of CPU control... leading to faster access and CPU being free

at my old office our HOD had a pioneer DVD writer.. i had written 2/3 DVDs and each took over 60minutes to write... but at home a DVD would take hardly 12minutes to write.... in both case same type of media and same speeds.... i came to know about this DMA stuff when once i installed DVD writer to some one else' machine and my writer was taking as much time..... the culprit was DMA mode off...

to check the same... just rightclick mycoumputer > properties > hardware > device manager > ide controllers >

now for both primary and secondary > properties > advanced... make sure Transfer mode is DMA if available

probably i think it is enabled in Winxp and not in win2k as in office and the other machine i am talking about had Win2k.. no idea about 98/Me and other old OS.....

AlienTech

In the zone
Liteon makes utter crap drives. Imagine a manufacturer that makes a DVD writer that does not write to the most widly available disk in a country. Liteon will not write to moser baer 4X -R dvd's, although it is the same disk / material / chemicals / manufacturing plant as the mitsubishi -R 4x disk which it will write to but you try to figure that one out. Not only that but they have huuuuge quality control issues. Sony uses liteon drives so same crap usually. Benq is phillips and is +R. -R format inherently has flaws which makes it hard to write at high speeds. Pioneer developed -R so makes the best writers that write decent -R disks even if the drives are slower. Overall maybe LG is the best. I have spent months wasting time, effort driving all over the place and ordering disks that costs more than the drive to get my liteon to work and after an year took it back to the shop. Just the thought of throwing away 8000rs made me hesitant but I should have thrown it out long ago. Samsung is improving with their new U model as it uses a new chipset than the older one which is as good as liteon :).... NEC seems to make the best drive, with LG/pioneer/benq following. Safest writer is th epioneer, I never heard of anyone having write problems with it but it is also the slowest drive among the group.

Sanyo/optowrite is the only one who makes chipsets that let you write 20-40% more data than the disk is capable of using compression but you need the same drive to read it back if you use higher compression rates. But some others also uses this chipsets like plextor. But optowrite drives itself is rather liteon quality without the fuzz.

IF possible, that is if you can get good quality +R disks then I would look for a drive that is +R friendly (IE developed by them, since the developers have better write strategies so _R developers write better to -R disks and +R to +R disks)... BenQ is great for +R and much better than most in -R too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom