Want to run a server on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I have been using ubuntu for a while now.

I want to run a small lan / experimental web server on linux. Which dist. should I go for.

I have very little experience with linux. So i will need a Easy GUI dist. Stability is not a big issue as its just experimental. I would have used ubuntu but i am having connectivity issues. My ISP has a dialer for red hat so imm guessing other RH based dist like fedora will not have the same connectivity problems.

The dist. also must use grub as a bootloader and i want to install this over my ubuntu installation in the same HDD space.

Should I go for fedora? Or some other dist.?

Thanks.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hmm, your dialer .. would be for RH 9 .. or worse, 7. No hope there.

All you'd ever need to do what you want to on Ubuntu is ..

Code:
sudo apt-get install apache2

And optionally, PHP5, MySQL.

What's your ISP? We can help you fix it up on Ubuntu. Cause there isn't any network problem that is distro specific unless its hardware.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
@ QWERTY MANIac: It is a hardware problem. The switch is a Dlink one which has some known issues and the ISP refuses to change it.
But my ISP assures me they run RH and it works fine on their comps.
@Aditya i need a distrio.

mediator

Technomancer
I wont suggest to go for a different distro, but starting up servers and configuring em is a piece of cake in fedora. Also comparing FC5 (Fedora Core 5) and Ubuntu 6.10, there's a terrible file permission system in Ubuntu 6.10. I wud prefer Fedora over Ubuntu for server!

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
distro doesnt matters much.
the servers work almost similarly.
if u need to set up a webserver then aditya already gave u the answer(set up XMAPP).

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
the httpd package (Apache) is the server in Fedora 6. Don't know about 7.

httpd is usually automatically installed if you don't alter the options during setup.

DON'T CHOOSE SERVER AS IT WILL CLEAR YOUR FULL HARDDISK AND INSTALL COMMAND LINE LINUX. YOU WANTED GUI.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@shaunak

If you still want to go for a different distro and are just trying it out for learning purpose then check this out.

They are live CDs specially designed to perform the work of a server.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Check out CentOS if primary purpose is a server.
It is derived from RHEL and available for free.

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
centos or whitebox ,are the best free alternative to RHEL for server.
and to setup LAMP server in centos, is very easy just select server installation while installing and in will be installed, only for mysql server will not installed, so for it you can expand mysql pacakge, and install it
you can install through yum also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom