Vista vs Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right spend a day on a internet to figure out how to install an OS, another day to find drivers, and finally another day to solve other problems. Sure you don't want me to point to the Arch thread..

:lol:
you really are going nuts. did I explain you explictly what was the reason behind that ? I never managed to read the guide fully. so I needed it. now, if I had a hard copy of the same guide, things would have been different. Vista has one. Arch too has one, which becomes accessable only if my printer is still working.

How do you think a first time user of windows vista who has used no other OS before can configure his OS to connect to the internet on boot ? Well, I had a friend in the exact same situation, and I must say a certain linux distro named ubuntu was much easier to use. Now that is one end of the story. But take a look at the other end: lets take the word easy in the context where it means simple, elegent and neat. In this situation, for a user who has had some amount of pre-exposure to power computing, tends to find it easier to work in arch (me for example). In my case, first I was a total clueless n00b, and hence I had some initial difficulties. Now I am not a n00b so I am in a much better position.

Lets take the situation a guy faces when he needs to solve physical calculations using calculus (sorry got no better example). You have two guys, one who knows calculus and one who does not. For the guy who knows calculus its naturally easier to use calculus, since calculus is simply too elegent and simple once you get to know it. But the other guy thinks calculus is from mars and ends up screwing everything up if he tries to solve using calculus and starts hating it.

note: I was in the shoes of both these guys at different periods of time
Its basically the first time users who are clueless and apparently it is that section of people who are being discussed now.
Really ?:confused:
Then replace every instance of Arch with ubuntu and all should be fine :lol:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Why oh Why are we going into forbidden lands again.

you really are going nuts. did I explain you explictly what was the reason behind that ? I never managed to read the guide fully. so I needed it. now, if I had a hard copy of the same guide, things would have been different. Vista has one. Arch too has one, which becomes accessable only if my printer is still working.
What hes trying to convey is , that you had read the guide at some point to get through the install. Don't even say you could have managed to get Arch without reading it. The chances of getting Vista installed on your computer without reading a guide or FAQ is exponentially higher.
How do you think a first time user of windows vista who has used no other OS before can configure his OS to connect to the internet on boot
The same way a person who hasn't used Arch or any other Distro connect to the Internet. If a new person to Ubuntu could configure an Internet connection I can guarantee that a person on Windows could have done the same.
In this situation, for a user who has had some amount of pre-exposure to power computing, tends to find it easier to work in arch (me for example). In my case, first I was a total clueless n00b, and hence I had some initial difficulties. Now I am not a n00b so I am in a much better position.
Anyone who says Arch is easy to Install in comparison to Windows Vista or Ubuntu is smoking something really good.
But take a look at the other end: lets take the word easy in the context where it means simple, elegent and neat.
How exactly does the word "easy" take the context "simple, elegent and neat" ???

Lets take the situation a guy faces when he needs to solve physical calculations using calculus (sorry got no better example). You have two guys, one who knows calculus and one who does not. For the guy who knows calculus its naturally easier to use calculus, since calculus is simply too elegent and simple once you get to know it. But the other guy thinks calculus is from mars and ends up screwing everything up if he tries to solve using calculus and starts hating it.

You don't ask Calculus to Literature graduates? Do you see where I'm going with this? Not everyone is a Charles Eps. Not everyone is a l337 power user as yourself sir. Now FFS please stop saying that Arch is Easy cause because it isn't.

To make it very clear let me post a picture to clear what I'm talking about.

*img261.imageshack.us/img261/2653/motivator7828186tv0sz3.th.jpg

And before you laugh Amitava is way better a computer user than Ill probably ever be and not to mention I got kicked about 5 times till I found out how to change my nick in IRSSI.

Why oh Why are we going into forbidden lands again.

What hes trying to convey is , that you had read the guide at some point to get through the install. Don't even say you could have managed to get Arch without reading it. The chances of getting Vista installed on your computer without reading a guide or FAQ is exponentially higher.

The same way a person who hasn't used Arch or any other Distro connect to the Internet. If a new person to Ubuntu could configure an Internet connection I can guarantee that a person on Windows could have done the same.

Anyone who says Arch is easy to Install in comparison to Windows Vista or Ubuntu is smoking something really good.

How exactly does the word "easy" take the context "simple, elegent and neat" ???

You don't ask Calculus to Literature graduates? Do you see where I'm going with this? Not everyone is a Charles Eps. Not everyone is a l337 power user as yourself sir. Now FFS please stop saying that Arch is Easy cause because it isn't.

To make it very clear let me post a picture to clear what I'm talking about.

*img261.imageshack.us/img261/2653/motivator7828186tv0sz3.th.jpg

And before you laugh Amitava is way better a computer user than Ill probably ever be and not to mention I got kicked about 5 times till I found out how to change my nick in IRSSI.
1. yup we are venturing into forbidden lands...

2. Yes I read the guide. So do most newbie people to do a task in windows. They consult the help center application.

3. Did I forget to mention that he installed ubuntu because he didn't know how to connect to the net in winxp ? Finally, I felt pity for his dad, whose laptop was the machine where ubuntu was installed, as it was confusing him, and I taught him to configure net in XP and get rid of ubuntu from the microscopic HDD.

4. When the person refering to it is an experienced user.

5. Good Point.

6. nice pic. but I think the guide is well written enough for most of us. atleast, I didn't have any issues... not because I am what you call a 1337 power user (which I am not). I am just a simple user who wants an OS for listening to music, surfing the net, office, email, entertainment and doing some miscelleneous tasks.

7. nope I am not laughing. there is nothing terribly funny about it. its perfectly normal for any guy to have as a first reaction.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^that pic is sarcastic :D

Well there are some distros which are noob friendly and ready to bow chica bow bow within few minutes :)

But yeah one thing thats great with arch is its installation speed. I am amazed :shock:

^^that pic is sarcastic :D

Well there are some distros which are noob friendly and ready to bow chica bow bow within few minutes :)

But yeah one thing thats great with arch is its installation speed. I am amazed :shock:
in simple words, the pic proves my original statement: there is a distro for almost everybody. there is something that each person can be confortable with.

PS: yeah, the installation speed... its insane dude :shock:

amitava82

MMO Addict
I never managed to read the guide fully. so I needed it. now, if I had a hard copy of the same guide, things would have been different. Vista has one.
No, an average Joe won't be needing a guide to install Vista and it does NOT come with any guide book. Even a self proclaimed Linux pro like you too need a guide to install Arch and you say its easy.
Arch too has one, which becomes accessible only if my printer is still working.
Still trying to figure out how to CONFIGURE a printer in Linux?

How do you think a first time user of windows vista who has used no other OS before can configure his OS to connect to the Internet on boot ?
I don't know about LAN but for wireless; actually you don't need to configure anything on Vista to go online... lets not talk about Arch or Ubuntu. You can visit my blog for more info.

But take a look at the other end: lets take the word easy in the context where it means simple, elegant and neat.
Probably you should use a Mac to find the definitions of those words.

In this situation, for a user who has had some amount of pre-exposure to power computing, tends to find it easier to work in arch (me for example).
There you go:
installed
booted
text mode
damn
where do I find the install guide and beginners guide ?
In my case, first I was a total clueless n00b, and hence I had some initial difficulties. Now I am not a n00b so I am in a much better position.
Only if everyone in this word were as patient as you.
Lets take the situation a guy faces when he needs to solve physical calculations using calculus (sorry got no better example). You have two guys, one who knows calculus and one who does not. For the guy who knows calculus its naturally easier to use calculus, since calculus is simply too elegant and simple once you get to know it. But the other guy thinks calculus is from mars and ends up screwing everything up if he tries to solve using calculus and starts hating it.
Whats your point?
Then replace every instance of Arch with ubuntu and all should be fine :lol:
Now are you implying that ubuntu is as easy as Vista?

in simple words, the pic proves my original statement: there is a distro for almost everybody. there is something that each person can be confortable with.
It proves nothing. I was like WTF coz I had no clue that this thing does not come with any GUI. It took me less than 15 min to configure my wireless and get on to IRSSI. And not to forget horrible 30KBps speed, thanks to opensource Intel wireless drivers that comes with kernel > 2.6.24.

But yeah one thing thats great with arch is its installation speed. I am amazed
Yes coz it comes with almost nothing.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
It proves nothing. I was like WTF coz I had no clue that this thing does not come with any GUI.
didnt u read before downloading CORE. You expect 300MB to come up as graphical wonder :D
Even Vista takes a DVD to spin, include mac too

Yes coz it comes with almost nothing.
What installation has to with it ?
Try installing firefox in each os.

And you forgot the tagline of Arch Linux. Make your box from scratch.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah its keep it simple, but i liked the approach from scratch.

Why should i need every bloatware bundled before ?

And yeah the driver support can be bad and frustrate a normal user. But lets hope things get better with time :p

amitava82

MMO Addict
didnt u read before downloading CORE. You expect 300MB to come up as graphical wonder :D
Even 50MB DLS comes with GUI. And No, I did not read anything before installation. I usually trash an OS which requires a manual for installation.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
i find it kinda amazing, how people brag about an os being superior when they themselves know its crippled and b1tch about it on their respective weblogs making it look pretty and converting more and more people, no offence meant to anybody :p

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Even 50MB DLS comes with GUI. And No, I did not read anything before installation. I usually trash an OS which requires a manual for installation.
Trash it ! Use what works for you. But viva la revolucion :D

DSL is good to be a pen drive linux or some temporary solution. Add puppy linux too.

chandru.in

In the zone
Well, don't U guys agree that configuring Linux is not as easy as configuring Vista?
Which distro are you talking about? If it is by any chance Ubuntu, no not at all. After a simple 6 step install and reboot, it prompted me to install proprietary nVIDIA drivers. Once installed it used my full widescreen resolution (1440 x 900) without me even having to set the resolution manually. Beyond that I really did not do any configuration at all (except changing wallpaper and installing my essential software using synaptic). Which part of it do you find not as easy as configuring Vista? :confused:

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
. Which part of it do you find not as easy as configuring Vista? :confused:
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as you have made it to sound. ;) In Ubuntu after installing the drivers or even without installing the drivers you need to change the monitor type to enable the respective resolutions. In Gutsy it was easier as the menu was easily given under the Settings options, but in hardy, I needed to refer T159's blog to find where the damn thing was. And, I am not the only 1 to have had this issue, go through your beloved OSS section, many have had this resolution problem. :)

Yes, MS tricked them into liking Vista by showing them what Vista is in-person rather than letting them live in FUD

chandru.in

In the zone
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as you have made it to sound. ;) In Ubuntu after installing the drivers or even without installing the drivers you need to change the monitor type to enable the respective resolutions.
Those are exactly the steps I had gone through when installing Ubuntu on my system which has an Acer widescreen display.
I am not the only 1 to have had this issue, go through your beloved OSS section, many have had this resolution problem. :)
Go through other troublehooting sections and any other forum for that matter. You'd find 1000s of problems with Vista and XP systems too. So neither are they easier to setup than Linux. :p

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Go through them, you will find more troubleshooting issues rather than setup issues. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom