Vista vs Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
If you're talking about setup issues, I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my computer which had XP already installed. After booting from the DVD, when I tried to start the installation, it gave me an ACPI/APIC error. Now if I'm a complete newbie to Linux, WTF am I supposed to do when I can't even get the stupid thing installed?? I figured out initially that it had something to do with ACPI config, so I went and disabled ACPI from the BIOS. Voila! I could now proceed to the installation. But when I tried to boot into XP after that, I could NOT. Turned out that XP needed ACPI enabled. I had to search the net for this issue and make changes to some stupid file in Ubuntu so that I could keep both OSs. Not exactly an "out of the box" experience, is it?

chandru.in

In the zone
Go through them, you will find more troubleshooting issues rather than setup issues. ;)
Please explain how exactly I must draw a line between these two so that I can filter posts to suit you. :D

If you're talking about setup issues, I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my computer which had XP already installed. After booting from the DVD, when I tried to start the installation, it gave me an ACPI/APIC error. Now if I'm a complete newbie to Linux, WTF am I supposed to do when I can't even get the stupid thing installed??
If your motherboard is not Linux compatible why blame Linux? Blame the maker.

If a piece of hardware worked with Ubuntu 7.10 and suddenly stopped working with 8.04 only then can Linux be blamed. Also, I have come across various installation problems with XP too (never re-installed Vista only wiped several Vista lappies :D ). I have had installer freezing while copying files, while saving settings, etc.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lingeek - Damn, Linux isn't working on my motherboard. It is hanging. My motherboard manufacturer sux, I am gonna sue him, post on blogs to users not to buy this manufacturer's products & curse them for life. I m going to blame Microsoft for Monopoly, DRM, Patent Troll. It's all the fault of Microsoft for maing an OS which works on every motherboard.

Clueless Computer user - Damn, Linux won't work with my motherboard. Lets use Windows instead, it works fine. Now where is that Rs 50 DVD of Vista I bought from Nehru Place???

Normal User - Linux isn't working....ok I m buying Windows Vista instead. It will work for sure.

Media User - Damn, Linux isn't working. & even if it does I can't watch that Blu Ray disk I bought of Batman begins??? Oh well, let's buy Vista home premium for 4.2k, everything works fine on it.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
If your motherboard is not Linux compatible why blame Linux? Blame the maker.

Wow!! There is such a thing as Linux Compatible??? :D
You mean if I want to run Linux, I need to buy compatible hardware? And if Microsoft recommends the same for Vista, you lot claim it's an outrage!!! Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

4T7

Journeyman
Lingeek - Damn, Linux isn't working on my motherboard. It is hanging. My motherboard manufacturer sux, I am gonna sue him, post on blogs to users not to buy this manufacturer's products & curse them for life. I m going to blame Microsoft for Monopoly, DRM, Patent Troll. It's all the fault of Microsoft for maing an OS which works on every motherboard.

Clueless Computer user - Damn, Linux won't work with my motherboard. Lets use Windows instead, it works fine. Now where is that Rs 50 DVD of Vista I bought from Nehru Place???

Normal User - Linux isn't working....ok I m buying Windows Vista instead. It will work for sure.

Media User - Damn, Linux isn't working. & even if it does I can't watch that Blu Ray disk I bought of Batman begins??? Oh well, let's buy Vista home premium for 4.2k, everything works fine on it.
What's this? ru trying to prove vista is better than linux?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It was a reply to the post above my post telling to blame the hardware manufacturer for not making "Linux Compatible" hardware. No hardware is made for a particular OS. Hardware always follows standards. An OS adheres to those standards & installs on the hardware. Now If Linux wants something special & lots of configuration while Windows doesn't to work on the same motherboard, which OS will u call better?

chandru.in

In the zone
You mean if I want to run Linux, I need to buy compatible hardware? And if Microsoft recommends the same for Vista, you lot claim it's an outrage!!! Sheesh!! :rolleyes:
No not at all. If I have an XP compatible hardware, it should work with Vista (I maintain the same stance regarding Linux too). Of course, I can't expect a win98 hardware to work on Vista.

By Linux compatible I mean hardware components for which its maker gives updated Linux drivers (nVIDIA), has open-sourced the drivers (Intel) or the FOSS community has managed a driver by reverse engineering, etc.

Also, what about all those hardware with Vista capable label falling on their face when actually used?? :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Which distro are you talking about? If it is by any chance Ubuntu, no not at all. After a simple 6 step install and reboot, it prompted me to install proprietary nVIDIA drivers. Once installed it used my full widescreen resolution (1440 x 900) without me even having to set the resolution manually. Beyond that I really did not do any configuration at all (except changing wallpaper and installing my essential software using synaptic). Which part of it do you find not as easy as configuring Vista? :confused:
There haf been numerous instances with me where Ubuntu or any other binary distro just failed to install no matter what was done. XP worked out of the box without any issue. I never had to select or configure anything on my system. I just installed the drivers and voila I had a perfectly usable system in just 15 mins on XP.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as you have made it to sound. ;) In Ubuntu after installing the drivers or even without installing the drivers you need to change the monitor type to enable the respective resolutions. In Gutsy it was easier as the menu was easily given under the Settings options, but in hardy, I needed to refer T159's blog to find where the damn thing was. And, I am not the only 1 to have had this issue, go through your beloved OSS section, many have had this resolution problem. :)
There haf been numerous instances where Windows Vista just failed to install no matter what was done. Booted into Linux. I never had to select or configure anything on my system. I just installed the binary drivers with a one click install and voila I had a perfectly usable system in just 15 mins on Linux.

If you're talking about setup issues, I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my computer which had XP already installed. After booting from the DVD, when I tried to start the installation, it gave me an ACPI/APIC error. Now if I'm a complete newbie to Linux, WTF am I supposed to do when I can't even get the stupid thing installed?? I figured out initially that it had something to do with ACPI config, so I went and disabled ACPI from the BIOS. Voila! I could now proceed to the installation. But when I tried to boot into XP after that, I could NOT. Turned out that XP needed ACPI enabled. I had to search the net for this issue and make changes to some stupid file in Ubuntu so that I could keep both OSs. Not exactly an "out of the box" experience, is it?
There are something called ACPI tables. They may be non-existant for Linux or broken. 90% of the boot installation problems are due to broken ACPI. In such cases, you can use the acpi=off switch when you boot into Ubuntu. I'm not saying should've done it coz you installed for the first time. When you make the above statement, you are perfectly correct :) Every distro should come with a FAQ which answers Qs like these on a sheet of paper or in a text file (if you download online)

1. Stop the useless troll please.

2. Very true.

3. Boy.. drank too much last nite? :D

4. Good joke :))

As I explained, 90% of boot problems are due to ACPI issues. But the Linux distro companies are at fault for not alerting the users first place.

No hardware is made for a particular OS. Hardware always follows standards.
Dude.. stick to designing UIs... don't make a fool out of yourself by speaking something about which you haf no clue...

In all these years of computing.. the only factor which has made me decide whether an OS is easy to use or not is the availability and installation of drivers, be it Windows, Linux or Mac. Try installing an unbranded Chinese webcam on all the 3 OS' and you will know what I'm talking about.

Lets keep Linux out of this thread and preven the thread from going haywire. Stick to the topic please. If you haf anything to rant about Windows or Linux, create a separate thread for that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
No not at all. If I have an XP compatible hardware, it should work with Vista

All XP era motherboards work out of the box with Vista whether it is Intel 845 Chipset, Radeon XPress 200 or Via/Sis. They work but not with full features as for Aero Vista directX 9 based GPU etc etc. I was myself running Vista on a Intel 865GBF motherboard based system till March 2008 which was bought in 2003.

Even the old AC97 based onboard audio chips work in Vista just not with full features.
By Linux compatible I mean hardware components for which its maker gives updated Linux drivers (nVIDIA), has open-sourced the drivers (Intel) or the FOSS community has managed a driver by reverse engineering, etc.

By Vista compatible I mean the hardware component for which its maker gives updated drivers or old XPDM drivers which work fine in Vista but loose new features.

what about all those hardware with Vista capable label falling on their face when actually used?? :D

There is only 1 such hardware I have seen so far, Intel GMA 900 graphics chip which is antique now.

chandru.in

In the zone
Err... I'm using an nVidia nForce 430 chipset based motherboard :D
I have an Asus M2N-PV VM board. It is based on nForce too. I have absolutely no problem booting Ubuntu 8.04. I did not have to do anything with BIOS. But I don't dual boot, I use only Ubuntu. :confused:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1. Stop the useless troll please.

2. Very true.

3. Boy.. drank too much last nite? :D

4. Good joke :))

1) Will see

3) I don't drink or smoke

4) I have helped many friends in switching to a Vista based home theater system. The computer does everything media related for them with Vista MCE

Dude.. stick to designing UIs... don't make a fool out of yourself by speaking something about which you haf no clue about...
:confused:

Try installing an unbranded Chinese webcam on all the 3 OS' and you will know what I'm talking about.

I gave one such webcam for Rs 500 to a friend in Lucknow, it worked automatically after plugging in Windows XP.

Oh! Well, back to square one. This project proves that all the Vista bad press is nothing but FUD.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I have an Asus M2N-PV VM board. It is based on nForce too. I have absolutely no problem booting Ubuntu 8.04. I did not have to do anything with BIOS. But I don't dual boot, I use only Ubuntu. :confused:

Search for the Ubuntu 8.04 ACPI issue on the Internet, there have been several instances of it on a variety of hardware. But now let's leave this issue here :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
1) Will see

3) I don't drink or smoke

4) I have helped many friends in switching to a Vista based home theater system. The computer does everything media related for them with Vista MCE
1. ThanQ :D

3. Boy.. and still you post stuff like this? :))

4. And what does that prove? Vista MCE is the only media center software working out there?

I gave one such webcam for Rs 500 to a friend in Lucknow, it worked automatically after plugging in Windows XP.
Without drivers? OMFG... :D

Oh! Well, back to square one. This project proves that all the Vista bad press is nothing but FUD.
Which is very true...

Search for the Ubuntu 8.04 ACPI issue on the Internet, there have been several instances of it on a variety of hardware. But now let's leave this issue here :)
True... There is no doubt about the fact that 8.04 was the most broken distro ever released by Canonical. That was a huge blunder by them and they are liable to be condemned. A company whose distro is by far the most popular shouldn't be this irresponsible.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Anirudh, I guess U are aware of the fact that Windows comes with many drivers included & also has Windows Update for driver updates.

chandru.in

In the zone
True... There is no doubt about the fact that 8.04 was the most broken distro ever released by Canonical. That was a huge blunder by them and they are liable to be condemned. A company whose distro is by far the most popular shouldn't be this irresponsible.
The initial release of 8.04 had few problems. They had to compromise and provide few programs which were in development version (Firefox 3 beta 5 for example) as they'll have to support them for another 2 years. If they had provided current stable versions, they may become obsolete within 2 years (again FF 2 for example)

But the online updates and 8.04.1 made it very stable and these updates were available within few months (unlike other OS which took an year to fix the slow file copy bug).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom