vista suffering from insomnia???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohnishgs

powering up
whenever i try to put vista into sleep mode, it goes into sleep and as soon as the hdd light goes off the pc comes out of sleep immediately, what do i do???

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I am having the same problem too & cant find much help on this.
Asus site says the following

This phenomenon may be caused by VISTA OS. VISTA does not allow system to enter Standby mode, if "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for an USB or PS/2 wake-supported device (such as mouse or keyboard) has been checked under "Device Manager", while the USB or PS/2 port has not switched its power mode to +5VSB that allows delivery of standby power to USB or PS/2 ports under soft OFF state. Because VISTA enables this standby option per default, and motherboards often set USB power modes to +5V at the same time, these two settings may result in conflict, hence resulting this phenomenon.

To resolve this, simply uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for your USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard under "Device Manager", if you do not desire to wake the system via your USB mouse and/or PS/2 keyboard.

If you would like to wake your system from USB or PS/2 devices, please turn off your PC, set the appropriate USB port or PS/2 port jumper from +5V to +5VSB. Please follow the instructions in your user manual. Then your system will be able to enter and wake from standby mode as you desire.

Asus P5b dlx wifi mobo
Vista ultimate x64
7600GT PCIe card
tried default BIOS setting which used to work fine with XPsp2

When I press Sleep button on the keyboard what is happening is that its actually hibernating
It shuts down completely for 2 second then power up again but the power is only for the cabinet fans the hdd light up but the PS2 keyboard does not get power back so now I cant wake it up & I dont get the screen display & I have to do mains off from the UPS.

Then I start again & computer now says "windows resuming" instead of "windows starting" It then brings all my program open in the last state & takes 3-4 mins to do so.

Can someone give me Bios setting for this mobo along with Vista device manager settings.
It says "set the appropriate USB port or PS/2 port jumper from +5V to +5VSB."
Do I have to physically change something on the motherboard or its a setting in BIOS which I cant find. I am using the latest BIOS 1238 from Asus.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Did that, removed the optical mouse now vista goes into sleep & remains into sleep mode (earlier it use to sleep for 2 sec & then wake up with no power to keyboard)
So is optical mouse acting funny? its a new Logitech mouse

Once it sleeps I still cannot wake it up bcoz the usb keyboard wont power up.
Any more solution.b This is what I have in my APM settings, from device manager all devices such as 2 network adaptor/keyboard/mouse have unchecked use this device to wake up the computer. See attached images

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^Dude, I had the very same problem, but with my laptop instead.
And I used a USB Optical mouse, but had WinXP SP3 installed.
Once the comp is in sleep mode, if I press any button, there's no response. And if I press the power button, the lappy started as if it was off till then.

So, I went to the "power properties" and did this:
-Changed the HDD off setting to never.

See if that works for you.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
No thats not what I am facing.
Auto sleep function is disabled (till I sort this out) so in my case HDD is not off.
I manually press the sleep button & rest of the problem happen, how to sleep & still be able to wake up. It used to work fine with XPSP2 on same hardware.

pratik03

Journeyman
I'am also facing the same problem with vista sp1
everything is working fine 2 weeks ago
This problem is came out of nowhere

I'am also facing the same problem with vista sp1
everything is working fine 2 weeks ago
This problem is came out of nowhere

This problem is very common in service pack 1 and im not sure of the solution either so this is what i suggest
1)update the system
2)change the power properties
3)change the acpi properties in bios
4)update bios
i hope any of this options will work

pratik03

Journeyman
This problem is very common in service pack 1 and im not sure of the solution either so this is what i suggest
1)update the system
2)change the power properties
3)change the acpi properties in bios
4)update bios
i hope any of this options will work

tried everything even updated the bios but nothing is working
Finally I give up and deleted hyberfile.sys atleast to save some diskspace :grin:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
pratik03, I have tried all those & many more & got to know from asus support site that the actual solution to this problem seems to "set the appropriate USB port or PS/2 port jumper from +5V to +5VSB" but I cant find this +5VSB jumper on my asus P5B-dlx mobo.

Does any one know where to locate it?

pratik03

Journeyman
pratik03, I have tried all those & many more & got to know from asus support site that the actual solution to this problem seems to "set the appropriate USB port or PS/2 port jumper from +5V to +5VSB" but I cant find this +5VSB jumper on my asus P5B-dlx mobo.

Does any one know where to locate it?

When you change jumper position to +5VSB, usb port will supply power even when pc is in shut down state. So I don't think changing jumper position from +5V to +5VSB will solve the problem.

There must be two separate jumper for front & back usb port, refer your motherboard manual for exact location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom