Views on Lumia 620!!

ritwiksondhi

Journeyman
Of course I will, its launched in some asian countries, wonder why there no reviews yet.

The only country where Lumia 620 is being officially sold is Russia. News about Malaysia, Thailand, China etc are just rumors. Nokia has just released the pricing in these countries not the actual product. You might find some review in Russian language on youtube.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
The only country where Lumia 620 is being officially sold is Russia. News about Malaysia, Thailand, China etc are just rumors. Nokia has just released the pricing in these countries not the actual product. You might find some review in Russian language on youtube.
Saw some hands on in youtube, its the perfect set for me, now the only test remaining is battery, last a day with 1-3hrs calling(3G), 1-2 hrs browsing and 10 mins cam use and I'll buy it day one.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes its a inconvinience....and I thought in wp8 its rectified....then how will it handle the file in bluetooth file transfer?
maybe all will go to a common bluetooth folder and can be accessed from there...there is no cut copy move feature in WP7.5

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
yes its a inconvinience....and I thought in wp8 its rectified....then how will it handle the file in bluetooth file transfer?
maybe all will go to a common bluetooth folder and can be accessed from there...there is no cut copy move feature in WP7.5
Looks like I might not get Lumia 620 after all, the inability to manage files is a major bummer, problem is if I am to buy a Android cell it has to be Sony Xperia SL or equivalent, damn microsoft, file manager is something even 10yr old Symbian devices had :evil:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Looks like I might not get Lumia 620 after all, the inability to manage files is a major bummer, problem is if I am to buy a Android cell it has to be Sony Xperia SL or equivalent, damn microsoft, file manager is something even 10yr old Symbian devices had :evil:

well you have a media album to manage all media related files, so i think if you did not want to hack the wp8, some level of file management is there.

and like that all different apps have different permissions to access the respective folders / directories.

microsoft has deliberately locked out file management .... to prevent things like :cough: titanium backup and piracy of :cough: apps happening like in android.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
well you have a media album to manage all media related files, so i think if you did not want to hack the wp8, some level of file management is there.

and like that all different apps have different permissions to access the respective folders / directories.

microsoft has deliberately locked out file management .... to prevent things like :cough: titanium backup and piracy of :cough: apps happening like in android.
Why not provide an official file manager with strict restrictions so stuff like permission alteration etc couldn't be done, also when you open a file in android you can select the app to open it with, something I will dearly miss if I go for WP. All I wanted was file manager that could cut, copy, paste, delete, rename etc. If lumia 620 didn't have that awesome cam and lenses feature and the massive hw I'd never even consider it. Choices, choices.......

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Why not provide an official file manager with strict restrictions so stuff like permission alteration etc couldn't be done, also when you open a file in android you can select the app to open it with, something I will dearly miss if I go for WP. All I wanted was file manager that could cut, copy, paste, delete, rename etc. If lumia 620 didn't have that awesome cam and lenses feature and the massive hw I'd never even consider it. Choices, choices.......

hah, because it can always be reverse engineered. in WP you wont select the app to open the file with, its the other way around... the app will have a dedicated directory only from where you can access those files. you have MTP and you can also load apps via the PC... something which is a big plus point against android, not being on wi-fi all the time to install apps.

i think you can though edit files names etc...

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
hah, because it can always be reverse engineered. in WP you wont select the app to open the file with, its the other way around... the app will have a dedicated directory only from where you can access those files. you have MTP and you can also load apps via the PC... something which is a big plus point against android, not being on wi-fi all the time to install apps.

i think you can though edit files names etc...
There's an addon for chrome that allows you to download apks from google store into your PC, not sure if it still works though.

So lets say I have a directory from where I can load movies in a video player, now I have to put the movies there?

Looks like probably I won't be buying Lumia 620, there is a serious issue with WP8 that eats storage area in phone, even when you don't load apps, just loading images or MP3s could eat all your space:
IJSMblog: Windows Phone news and apps: Mystery of the ever-expanding "other" storage on Windows Phone 8
What about the "Other" storage section ? - Page 2 - Windows Phone Central Forums

I bluetoothed a couple of videos to myself from my old N8 (around 500mb each), but didn't hit Tap to View immediately... I now can't see the videos anywhere (saved pics or video folder), but the amount of free space has reduced accordingly!! I can't see the videos when i browse on a PC either!! The videos are in a compatible format as i've re-sent them one at a time and hit Tap to View straight-away and they work fine... So these videos (or temp files for videos) are sitting somewhere on my phone, but i have no way of clearing them.

I have a fairly large Other section, but it's stable at about 3G. It doesn't grow significantly with installs, but I did notice that some things fall through the cracks. For example, an email had an attachment I downloaded, but couldn't be opened because the phone didn't like the format (it was correct to refuse) but it never went anywhere. Also, stuff from the internet, NFC, BT, and loads of other stuff, they get downloaded and lost.

I'm not shocked that I have a large "other" section, I know that images are instant, that FB and Skydrive files are all cached, complete with thumbs, that FB app itself cached all the pictures ever taken, and so on. It's that without some form of management any buggy app can kill the phone.

I'm on a Lumia 920, so I have 32 GB in which to float, and with 18G available it's not urgent. Still, I'd like the ability to manage this. ideally, via PC and cable, where I can see what I'm cleaning up, not with a phone I already know can't open the file.

You can't even clean it via PC, also as Lumia 620 and 820 has only 8GB of space unlike Lumia 920 this issue could kill it.

What scared me most is this quote:
I found another piece for the never ending puzzle of the "Other" storage issue:

I own a Nokia 820 (i like it!) with 8GB of internal memory, 2GB of this used by the OS.

I bought a 32GB microSD and copied 13GB of photos in 480 folders on the card (maybe insane but otherwise why is there the possibility of having 32GB SD card?) ... done with normal Windows explorer copy, not with W8 app.

After entering the card to the phone the Photo Hub comes up with a small update message on top, this tooks 2-3 hours and during this process the "Other" slowly fills up. I started after a factory reset (to be sure) with 400MB in "Other". After the updating process it uses nearly 4GB. So only having that much photos on an SD card cost you more than 3GB of internal memory!!

I think it's for caching the preview images in the Photo Hub, but why do we have the SD card. It should be clear that users fill them up with pictures, videos and music.

In my case together with some Nokia offline maps, a big Exchange mail account and some apps my memory reaches the 8GB ... and that's it! Not even possible to take phone calls anymore!!

Searching for a solution, if not found, no way in hell am I buying a Lumia. I don't care about apps, but this sh!t's ridiculous, can't even clear cache?

pratyush997

Inactive
There's an addon for chrome that allows you to download apks from google store into your PC, not sure if it still works though.

So lets say I have a directory from where I can load movies in a video player, now I have to put the movies there?

Looks like probably I won't be buying Lumia 620, there is a serious issue with WP8 that eats storage area in phone, even when you don't load apps, just loading images or MP3s could eat all your space:
IJSMblog: Windows Phone news and apps: Mystery of the ever-expanding "other" storage on Windows Phone 8
What about the "Other" storage section ? - Page 2 - Windows Phone Central Forums

You can't even clean it via PC, also as Lumia 620 and 820 has only 8GB of space unlike Lumia 920 this issue could kill it.

Searching for a solution, if not found, no way in hell am I buying a Lumia. I don't care about apps, but this sh!t's ridiculous, can't even clear cache?
WP is still to develop a lot :p for geeks
Get Droid-ified then!

sujoyp

Grand Master
u will gradually get used to it...now that u have memory card support I think u can at least store files in ur chosen directories...but the files should be compatible with handset...donno how it will handle bluetooth transfer...maybe it will restrict to WP-to-WP handsets only...

I transfer everything with zune and they say WP8 is zune free...I think handset will detect all the media and files in respective applications if not file manager

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

well the method your mentioned is the apk-downloader extension for android and that is illegal by google standards. because by the security point of view, someone can download the app make malicious changes to the code and circulate it around.

yes, there will be a specified path where you put the movies..

and if you are thinking of going the android way, let me share my experience which happened yesterday ... i was playing some videos on my phone and there was this video file which i was downloading but the download did not complete. yet the android player detected it but wouldnt play because obviously the download was corrupted and i wanted to delete the video file, but i searched my phone from top to bottom with astro, cm file manager and even the pro version of astro.... but they didnt show the file.. which was sitting in the downloads folder all this time, i i used tibackup to clear cache of the player, the file managers and after 2 hours of stuggling to find the damned video i hooked the phone to my pc and there it was voila.

They compete iOS!
Jail broken iOS got file manager AFAIK!

oh yeah and the main reason that why ios or even wp8 doesnt have a dedicated file manager is so that you dont place data in random directories and then end up searching them...

for hours ......apart from the hacking reason obviously :p

well obviously the cache is there for a reason, for faster loading of apps. :|

so you have better than iphone 5 fluidity on a lumia 620... dude. i think with external storage support upto 64GB, i wouldnt bother with 4-5GB of cache files...

but then again thats me.... :D

oh seems you are in luck :

*www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-os-gets-extracted-hacker-analysis-begins

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
well the method your mentioned is the apk-downloader extension for android and that is illegal by google standards. because by the security point of view, someone can download the app make malicious changes to the code and circulate it around.

yes, there will be a specified path where you put the movies..

and if you are thinking of going the android way, let me share my experience which happened yesterday ... i was playing some videos on my phone and there was this video file which i was downloading but the download did not complete. yet the android player detected it but wouldnt play because obviously the download was corrupted and i wanted to delete the video file, but i searched my phone from top to bottom with astro, cm file manager and even the pro version of astro.... but they didnt show the file.. which was sitting in the downloads folder all this time, i i used tibackup to clear cache of the player, the file managers and after 2 hours of stuggling to find the damned video i hooked the phone to my pc and there it was voila.

oh yeah and the main reason that why ios or even wp8 doesnt have a dedicated file manager is so that you dont place data in random directories and then end up searching them...

for hours ......apart from the hacking reason obviously :p

well obviously the cache is there for a reason, for faster loading of apps. :|

so you have better than iphone 5 fluidity on a lumia 620... dude. i think with external storage support upto 64GB, i wouldnt bother with 4-5GB of cache files...

but then again thats me.... :D

oh seems you are in luck :

Windows Phone 8 OS gets extracted, hacker analysis begins | Windows Phone Central
Its not that simple, the cache increases and fills up the phone memory, so like this, no apps can be installed, no files can be downloaded(all downloaded files are stored in phone), can't transfer files via bluetooth, nothing will happen as the phone has run out of memory, for Lumia 920 its ok as internal mem is 32GB, for 620 and 820 users, its hell. Hell you can't even use a browser as there is no place left in internal memory, its a massive bug that literally breaks your phone :evil:

Top Bottom