video taken in digicam : need to reduce size

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_shake

Broken In
I took a couple of videos from my digicam but their filesize is huge. Around 500 mb. how do i reduce their size? they are in avi format

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
use the simple xillisoft video converter...
reduce the sound to mono.. and reduce the bitrate... if u r not into sound mainly...

OP
abhi_shake

abhi_shake

Broken In
the sound is important since it is a video of a band playing. how much will it reduce the file size by?

why is it so big in the first place? 1.5 hr movies are around for 699mb. this video is of just 10 min..!

what format should i encode the video to using xilisoft?

Last edited:

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
The digicam capture the video in DV Format which takes 13GB filesize for 1 hour video. But your movies are in MPEG2 format which holds a 3 hour movie in a DVD.

The DV format is designed for editing where the MPEG2 format is for viewing/broadcasting.

If you want to compress the DV video, you can use a MPEG2 Encoder. If you are not going to show the video in any consumer dvd players, XVID/DIVX codec is far better than MPEG2.

If you really want high quality in less size, you can use H.264 or VC-1. But do not store the video in DV format, if you never have to edit the video in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom