Video Game Piracy in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^Well said! But Piracy should be completely stopped regardless of the country. Using Pirated games is as bad as starting it(I never used the games in the DVD I spoke of earlier). There are lots of free software around! Why not use them instead? It at least guaran-damn-tees you that no one's gonna sue you for piracy!

@toofan_nainital: I disagree with you there! PC IS a need of the general public today. Many make a living out of the Internet, students use it for studies, gamers use it for gaming etc.

And who said going original punches a hole through your pocket? Check the alternatives people! Ubuntu is a good free OS. I've got it dual booted with Vista. Who needs MS Office? Try Open Office Org! No eye candy but, yet again, learn to be santusht! Freeware games? Be my guest: America's Army, Wolfenstein, Freespace II(not free but legally distributable), Toribash, Little Fighter 2, Trackmania Nations, and loads and loads of Adventure games like Nick Bounty Series, Garfield series, Apprentice Series... you name it! Some of them are even better than their paid counterparts!

Last edited:

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well I too use OpenSUSE,Open Office and Toribash to get my kick:D BUT readers of Digit maybe well aware of the fact that Piracy IS a necessary evil. If it wasn't for Pirates many of the "Original" Games user would haven't been able to play their favorite FPS, Rainbow Six Vegas 2. AS every coin has 2 faces why can't people see Pirates,Crackers as their Honrary SQT, you make a piece of software and they crash test it for you for free of charge. :D Include that in Cost Benefit Analysis and say Good Bye to half of your softwares as they won't pass the budget ruling! For FOSS, its just that people should be happy that there are no or less games on Linux otherwise it would be total Communism and we won't be seeing any GTA on PC :eek:

I never need to pirate games or OSes. At first, I too was a part of the aam janata who think piracy is not something illegal and instead its a way of life. Once I started to see light, I first tried to REDUCE my piracy. Then I decided to buy originals. But then came a sudden change in my life. I started realising that firstly, its not worth the risk to pirate games. Secondly, its not worth the money to buy original games either. Both these options appeared idiotic to me. I mean, whats the point of spending thousands on foolish pleasure ? This outlook has changed my life. I have stopped taking pleasure in games, infact, I am not even a gamer anymore. Gaming appears too stupid a hobby to carry forward. I have nothing to gain and everything to loose. Instead, my free time is now being used in more fruitful ways like Programming, Studying, Cycling, Linux, Writing, music, etc. If ever I feel the urge to game, I may download a demo and play it, but I doubt I would continue having an urge to game long enough to by the full version and complete it. For other games, I would buy original if and only if its so good that it absolutely deserves some encouragement by the action of my investing in it. Examples include Unreal Tournament and Crysis. OR, I just end up playing freely available stuff like Urban Terror. In a nutshell: I have much more important things to do in life than gaming.

utsav

damn busy...
Agar paisa ho aur wife na ho toh original kharido aur agar wife ho toh pirated hi khareed paoge bhailog. :D :D :lol: :))

quan chi

mortal kombat
I never need to pirate games or OSes. At first, I too was a part of the aam janata who think piracy is not something illegal and instead its a way of life. Once I started to see light, I first tried to REDUCE my piracy. Then I decided to buy originals. But then came a sudden change in my life. I started realising that firstly, its not worth the risk to pirate games. Secondly, its not worth the money to buy original games either. Both these options appeared idiotic to me. I mean, whats the point of spending thousands on foolish pleasure ? This outlook has changed my life. I have stopped taking pleasure in games, infact, I am not even a gamer anymore. Gaming appears too stupid a hobby to carry forward. I have nothing to gain and everything to loose. Instead, my free time is now being used in more fruitful ways like Programming, Studying, Cycling, Linux, Writing, music, etc. If ever I feel the urge to game, I may download a demo and play it, but I doubt I would continue having an urge to game long enough to by the full version and complete it. For other games, I would buy original if and only if its so good that it absolutely deserves some encouragement by the action of my investing in it. Examples include Unreal Tournament and Crysis. OR, I just end up playing freely available stuff like Urban Terror. In a nutshell: I have much more important things to do in life than gaming.

well said.

Last edited:

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^I didn't get it! Pirated khareedoge hi kyon? Free software use karo. I think half the cyber population in India is not aware of the existence of good free alternatves. Some of my friends think I'm a fool due to my knowledge of linux. They've never been outside Windows! Thats the main cause of piracy in my opinion.

@Plasma_Snake, Offtopic: You play Toribash too? Have you been able to complete any of the example kicks?I think they are purely based on luck.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Why did Adam eat the apple. Cause he was tempted..

Same is happening with us all here in India. Cause pirates exist..the infrastructure exists for them, they are prevalent..and consumers get tempted to go and buy pirated softwares. Its like....if someone finds a bar of gold on the street, he should ideally go and report it to the authorities...who does/would.

Piracy is knee-deep within our system, specially in the big metro cities. Some ancillary cities....adjoining big metros (wont take names -- to hurt sentiments), are famous for manufacturing pirated discs. I my self have seen police raids in markets for piracy goods. After a week, the vendors are all back, again pirating stuff freely. So it is all organized.

As long as it is available, people will opt for the "cheaper" option. Even I have, even if I do not support piracy. I know it is irritating, its like if in office I do a project..and someone copies my project design/implementation..and without involving me..gets credit..I get mighty offended..I am sure...software companies feel the same...but on a much LARGER scale.

Remove Pirates = Piracy Removed.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Dopeman Rocks

:D wow man! I also love him/her. His RIPs never failed me :D.

I have also bought original stuff.

I bought Godfather for PS2 for around 1,2k and Burnout Legends for PSP for 1.5k and PoP : Revelations for 1.5k. GTA4 for X360 for 2.5k.

I also buy original music. I have bought many "Greatest of [insert a rock/metal band here]" CDs and MP3s :).

I dont support p1r@cy much but I do use pirated software. I buy an original CD or MP3 now and then. I am looking forward to buy FarCry 2 and GTA4 (even though I have it) cause these are the games that need to be supported.

@MetalHeadGautham --> You dont like gaming, I do :).

OP
prasath_digit

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Its not worth the risk to pirate games. Secondly, its not worth the money to buy original games either. Both these options appeared idiotic to me. I mean, whats the point of spending thousands on foolish pleasure ? This outlook has changed my life. I have stopped taking pleasure in games, infact, I am not even a gamer anymore. Gaming appears too stupid a hobby to carry forward. I have nothing to gain and everything to loose. Instead, my free time is now being used in more fruitful ways like Programming, Studying, Cycling, Linux, Writing, music, etc. In a nutshell: I have much more important things to do in life than gaming.

Hey buddy, don forget that inspite of piracy, Gaming is still a multi-billion dollar business, and that too in the US alone, surpassing the Hollywood boxoffice recipts. Means if ur a game dev, and if u can give some hits like F.E.A.R., Crysis :rolleyes:...then u can get ur whole life's salary whatever ur current job can get u, in one go from selling ur game alone,let alone the fame u get,

Hey MetalHeadGautam, if u wanna be useful to the society & the people, why not study I.A.S and be a collector man? :D

I agree with everyone here on one point very strongly, that is the price of games, I too agree that spending 1000/- for a single game for a avg Indian citizen is kinda unacceptable.

Only for us indians, games are costly, but in the US economy, a boy can buy Crysis or Bioshock by saving his pocket money for 3 days.:( Sadly for us indians this is not the case.(Hmmm so piracy is actually not that bad afterall........:rolleyes:....no no.....:x)

If gaming is too stupid to be a hobby, then all bollywood movies are also stupid :D....tell me what do u gain from movies?.
->If spending 1000/- for a single block-buster game is costly, then wat abt the first-day tickets for bollywood movies?. i bet u will waste 300/- for 3hrs???????:shock: man, gaming is much better than bollywood sh**.
->How can u say cycling as a hobby? :D.
->Being a gamer doesn't have to be someone u can't support linux :mad:.
-> :D hey buddy, writing & music is a passion for almost every human being!! :D.

Hey MetalHeadGautam, r u one of the, typical, i-don-care-abt-others-i-enjoy-i-matured-i-genius-i-spend-whole-life-doin-smart-thing-i-the-greatest-i-useful-i-smart-i-ride-fast-bikes-i-babe-magnet-i-local-area-king-i-give-advise-to-others-i-know-life-all-girls-fall-for-me crowd?:D......Jus Say Yes or no man,...........:D

Last edited:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
@prasanth...

whatever u say man....go easy on the fonts man......too had to read...its like my eyes goin big and small...

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Hey MetalHeadGautam, r u one of the, typical, i-don-care-abt-others-i-enjoy-i-matured-i-genius-i-spend-whole-life-doin-smart-thing-i-the-greatest-i-useful-i-smart-i-ride-fast-bikes-i-babe-magnet-i-local-area-king-i-give-advise-to-others-i-know-life-all-girls-fall-for-me crowd?:D......Jus Say Yes or no man,...........:D

LOL :lol:

Hey you all!! I also hate piracy but what can we do.Most young hardcore gamers just school students and we dont have jobs like our parents so we have no choice but to buy piratred games(parents ko phus phusa ke). No matter what people think and do pirack masters like :-Razor1911, Reloaded, Vitality ,Flair light,etc will always find a way to hack the latest games and release it in the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom