Using PNG as an icon file....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
Well,

I was wondering whether there is a work around in Windows XP or some 3rd party software which let us use png files as icons... okie i know windows Xp support only ico file and it allows alpha blend.... but i could not just resist asking... i have a software called icolor which could let the folder icon change its color as per my choice.... and hence the question....

theraven

Technomancer
u have to convert png to icon to use it as a system icon
een icon packager requires .ico files

to convert use axialis icon workshop .. its the best

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Unfortunately Windows XP and preior versions of Windows doesn't support PNGs as system / other icons... VISTA should/will support SVG/PNG/ICO all...

In XP you need to convert them to ICO...
With iColorFolder tool you have you can change most of folder icons in Windows... but problem with that tool is that is copies the applied icon inside the folder... well tht's good if you like to use separate icons for each folder etc...

For systemwide icon replacemnt, you can always use tools like TuneUp Styler2 / IconWorkshop / Microangelo / IconPackager etc... but all are shareware.

There's something called ICO2PNG / PNG2ICO, which is freeware alternative for converting PNG2ICO and back... ... it's a tiny DOS EXE which hell lot of commandline options... It was bundled with GANT BEAT icons...
Google around for it...

If i find, i'll [edit] this post and add a link to it... :D

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
QwertyManiac said:
Wont rename work ? i.e *.png to *.ico
No man this dont work!!!!
You either convet it using softwares like
Articons
IconXP etc
into .ico.
Thts d only method in Xp/2000/Me/98 etc
u can find this software at *www.softpedia.com/ . They r shareware not freeware.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom